Travel within US

Old Oct 4th 2005, 10:45 pm
Just Joined

als25 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Travel within US

Hi can anyone tell me, I have filed all relevant paperwork with immigration, I am a UK citizen who married my US wife under visa waiver program. I am just waiting for my paperwork to be opened and them to give me an appointment for fingerprinting etc. Anyway my wife and I are scheduled to fly from Seattle to Chicago for my sister-in-laws wedding, and I am just a little bit nervous as I am out of time on my original VWP and just nervous about flying and being pulled of by Homeland security agents as I am effectively illegally here until I am given an alien number etc. What should I do is it risky to fly, I have a valid passport (UK), or should I travel by bus,train etc, any advice would be wonderful as I do not want to be separated from my wife because of an overzealous US Homeland Security official seeing I am effectively "illegal".
Thanks
Les
Old Oct 4th 2005, 11:02 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Travel within US

Originally Posted by als25
Hi can anyone tell me, I have filed all relevant paperwork with immigration, I am a UK citizen who married my US wife under visa waiver program. I am just waiting for my paperwork to be opened and them to give me an appointment for fingerprinting etc. Anyway my wife and I are scheduled to fly from Seattle to Chicago for my sister-in-laws wedding, and I am just a little bit nervous as I am out of time on my original VWP and just nervous about flying and being pulled of by Homeland security agents as I am effectively illegally here until I am given an alien number etc. What should I do is it risky to fly, I have a valid passport (UK), or should I travel by bus,train etc, any advice would be wonderful as I do not want to be separated from my wife because of an overzealous US Homeland Security official seeing I am effectively "illegal".
Thanks
Les
Hi Les,

For a domestic flight, you *should* be OK to fly just by showing some ID. If you have local ID (which you might not at this point), that's probably better...but your passport will do also.

My alien husband has flown domestically many times and never had a problem, he just showed them his State ID.

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old Oct 4th 2005, 11:10 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks
Les
Les,
You are not effectively illegal; your status is usally called "Pending Adjustment of Status". Carry a photocopy of your Reciept Notice if it makes you feel better, but checking immigration status is not part of the domestic flight routine.
Old Oct 5th 2005, 1:12 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks
Les
You stopped being illegal once your paperwork for the AOS was accepted by CIS. You should not have a problem with flying.
Old Oct 5th 2005, 4:06 am
Just Joined

Hi thanks for the advice, the question being though I still have not received a receipt from CIS, documents were only submitted recently. Is it still safe to fly? ie.I have no alien number or paperwork or even have any of my checks been cashed, what do they check for when you fly, just a photo id? Or do they scan your passport, like they do when I have flown internationally. I know I am a UK citizen so I dont think flags will be raised at the airport. Anyway probably just being paranoid but as I am supposed to travel next week to Chicago and travelling with in-laws etc, I am worried about any potential database or over zealous guard looking at my stamp as overdue . Is there any way of getting a state issued id with my photo on it etc, as I thought I wouldnt be able to I have not even tried to get one yet for WA state.What should I do?
Thanks
Les
Old Oct 5th 2005, 4:11 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi thanks for the advice, the question being though I still have not received a receipt from CIS, documents were only submitted recently. Is it still safe to fly? ie.I have no alien number or paperwork or even have any of my checks been cashed, what do they check for when you fly, just a photo id? Or do they scan your passport, like they do when I have flown internationally. I know I am a UK citizen so I dont think flags will be raised at the airport. Anyway probably just being paranoid but as I am supposed to travel next week to Chicago and travelling with in-laws etc, I am worried about any potential database or over zealous guard looking at my stamp as overdue . Is there any way of getting a state issued id with my photo on it etc, as I thought I wouldnt be able to I have not even tried to get one yet for WA state.What should I do?
Thanks
Les
Hi Les,

Just show your passport as photo ID. You should be fine. If you like to try, go ahead and inquire how to get a State ID. My fiance showed his K-1 visa and I-94 and got a State ID his first week here in Arizona.

Rene
Old Oct 5th 2005, 9:10 am

When I was under a J1 status, I extended my stay and had a new DS-2019,
but still and old expired visa. Once, I flied domestically and the DHS
officer asked for my ID, I showed him my visa, it wasn't good enought
for him, I told him that I'm legally there and can show him my DS-2019
- he told me that he doesn't care about my immigration status but that
he wants a valid ID - then, I told him to look at the front page of my
passport (the passport itself was unexpired), and he let me thru.

Old Oct 5th 2005, 12:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

andrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond repute

They just check to make sure the name and picture match... no passport scanning, etc...
Old Oct 5th 2005, 1:42 pm
Eric S.

You do not pass through Immigration on domestic flights. So you should not
even encounter anyone from Immigration. You just need some kind of photo ID
to show the airline staff and airport security people. And they don't care
about your immigration status. If all you have is a passport, then use your
passport.

- Eric S.

"als25" <member43920@british_expats.com> wrote in message
news:[email protected] m...
    >> You stopped being illegal once your paperwork for the AOS was accepted
    >> by CIS. You should not have a problem with flying.
    > Hi thanks for the advice, the question being though I still have not
    > received a receipt from CIS, documents were only submitted recently. Is
    > it still safe to fly? ie.I have no alien number or paperwork or even
    > have any of my checks been cashed, what do they check for when you fly,
    > just a photo id? Or do they scan your passport, like they do when I have
    > flown internationally. I know I am a UK citizen so I dont think flags
    > will be raised at the airport. Anyway probably just being paranoid but
    > as I am supposed to travel next week to Chicago and travelling with in-
    > laws etc, I am worried about any potential database or over zealous
    > guard looking at my stamp as overdue . Is there any way of getting a
    > state issued id with my photo on it etc, as I thought I wouldnt be able
    > to I have not even tried to get one yet for WA state.What should I do?
    > Thanks
    > Les
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Oct 5th 2005, 4:03 pm
Just Joined

cew602 is an unknown quantity at this point

You should be able to get a WA state ID card by showing your passport and visa. My husband was able to obtain one.
Old Oct 5th 2005, 8:00 pm
Just Joined

Smile Re: Travel within US

Does anyone know what ID you need for sure for a WA state id (not driving licence)card. All I have is my UK passport,birth certificate and my credit cards as well as my signed apartment lease I have no visa as I came under VWP and obviously that is expired. ie Is it worth trying for this,or should I just use my passport as photo id for the airline. Anyway I guess I am just scaring myself having been on the internet, with some of the stories I hear about people being pulled aside etc and being asked to show id etc and seeing their out of date stamp.
Thanks
Les
Old Oct 5th 2005, 8:18 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Does anyone know what ID you need for sure for a WA state id (not driving licence)card. All I have is my UK passport,birth certificate and my credit cards as well as my signed apartment lease I have no visa as I came under VWP and obviously that is expired. ie Is it worth trying for this,or should I just use my passport as photo id for the airline. Anyway I guess I am just scaring myself having been on the internet, with some of the stories I hear about people being pulled aside etc and being asked to show id etc and seeing their out of date stamp.
Thanks
Les
The same ID is required for an ID as for a driver's license, if you already drive.

http://www.dol.wa.gov/ds/id.htm

Can you give a link to one of these stories of being pulled aside for ID + status stamp?
Old Oct 5th 2005, 9:14 pm
Forum Regular

jemavalon is an unknown quantity at this point

Anyway I guess I am just scaring myself having been on the internet, with some of the stories I hear about people being pulled aside etc and being asked to show id etc and seeing their out of date stamp.
The ONLY time I heard (and actually experienced myself) airport security personel checking immigration status was in late September 2001. Everyone was asked "are you a US citizen?". If you said yes -- no further documentation was required. If you said no -- they did check what you have. I had I-551 stamp at that time, the security oficial had no idea what it was, but believed me that it was OK. That was on a flight on about Sep 20, 2001.

After that I flown almost every other week, to most of the major cities in the US, and was NEVER asked for any immigration documentation. So maybe the stories that you have heard reflect that brief period right after Sept. 11 when they did not know what to do about airport security, and evryone was scared.

I wouldn't worry if I were you, but if you do get a receipt it won't hurt to make a copy and take the copy with you on the trip. If you don't get the receipt, it should not impact your trip.

Good luck,

Julia
Old Oct 6th 2005, 3:47 am
SUPER CRUNCHY BALCONY COW

Hypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks
Les
Hey there Les:
I think you need to relax and have a fun time with your wife
Old Oct 6th 2005, 7:02 pm
Just Joined

Smile Re: Travel within US

Thanks for the advice guys, I am sure it will be fine.
Les

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.