Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Travel while waiting to become a citizen

Wikiposts

Travel while waiting to become a citizen

Old Nov 19th 2017, 7:56 am
Just Joined

figthefox is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Travel while waiting to become a citizen

I’m in the system now but I need to travel next year for a family wedding in the UK. I was planning to stay for a couple of months because it’ll be school holidays. Can I do this if I’m waiting to become a citizen? I’m assuming I can’t stay somewhere for longer than six months?
Old Nov 19th 2017, 8:13 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Travel while waiting to become a citizen

Originally Posted by figthefox
I’m in the system now but I need to travel next year for a family wedding in the UK. I was planning to stay for a couple of months because it’ll be school holidays. Can I do this if I’m waiting to become a citizen? I’m assuming I can’t stay somewhere for longer than six months?
Without going back to your history, you're in the system as WHAT?

If the time away doesn't put you have the bar for time outside of the US making you ineligible to qualify for naturalization, then there is no reason why you can't.

Has your application already been filed for naturalization? If so, have you had your biometrics? Is there someone there to get your mail if you get snail notification of an interview date?

Last edited by Rete; Nov 19th 2017 at 8:25 am.
Old Nov 19th 2017, 8:19 am
Just Joined

figthefox is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes, already filed the application for citizenship. I’m expecting to be called for biometrics in the next few weeks. The whole process is estimated to take 14 months. My question is will I be ok to spend a few months in the UK next summer?
Old Nov 19th 2017, 8:25 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, already filed the application for citizenship. I’m expecting to be called for biometrics in the next few weeks. The whole process is estimated to take 14 months. My question is will I be ok to spend a few months in the UK next summer?
And again, the answer is if it doesn't interfere with your eligibility to naturalize, then yes you can.
Old Nov 19th 2017, 8:25 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

As long as it doesn't put you over your allowed time outside the USA to qualify for citizenship, yes.

Make sure someone is checking your mail, in case you get an interview appointment.

Rene