travel w/o green card

Old Jan 31st 2001, 9:53 am
Craig Heaton

Hello...my wife and I are leaving for the Bahamas at the end of next month. Last November,
we had our interview for the removal of her conditional status (CR1) and she was granted
permanent residency. They gave her a letter stating that our petition had been removed and
stamped her passport, with the stamp expiring in November of this year. At the time they
took her green card and told us she would receive a new one in about a year. Can she
travel using only the stamp in her passport and the letter? I checked with the Bahamian
Embassy and the stamp in her passport is okay for entry into the Bahamas (she will not
need a visa as would normally be required for Philippine citizens), but what about our
re-entry to the US? I phoned the INS and the agen wasn't too helpful. I posted the same
question to her and she said, "She'll have to apply for advance parole." I then said that
isn't advance parole needed only if she was still a conditional resident, to which she
replied, "That's correct, the stamp in her passport is her travel document." ?!? So which
is correct? I'm leaning toward the latter. Craig

Old Feb 1st 2001, 2:54 am
Craig Heaton

Thanks for the advice...that's what I was thinking but just wanted to make sure with
people who'd been there before. Craig

Old Feb 2nd 2001, 1:27 pm
MWL5901

Hi, I am going to one of the Bahama Islands in the end of this month also. I do have a
Green Card but I don't have a valid passport. My local INS don't think it is a good idea
to travel without a passport. I really need to take this field trip to graduate. Should I
just take risk and go ahead. I can show I have strong ties to the US and that I am not
intending to abandon my residence here. I would appreciate any help. Please e-mail your
response to [email protected] also. Thanks.

MWL

Old Feb 3rd 2001, 1:33 am
Ed MacNeil

Hi,

THIS SHOULD NOT BE CONSTRUED TO BE LEGAL ADVICE. I AM NOT A LAWYER. I DON'T EVEN PLAY
ONE ON TV!

The issue is not if you can be readmitted to the US on the basis of your 'green card'. Of
course you can. The issue is will you be allowed to enter the Bahamas. Check it out with a
Bahamian Consulate before going.

Here is information on Bahamian Consulates in the US:

Washington (EMB) 2220 Massachusetts Av., N.W., 20008.
(202) 319-2660, FAX (202) 319-2668 Mrs. Edda Daphne DUMONT, Consul Apr. 9,
Ms. Sheila Gweneth CAREY, Consul Aug. 29, 1994 Miss. Rhoda
Mae JACKSON, Consul Oct. 31, 1997

FLORIDA Miami (CG) Ingraham Bldg., 25 S.E 2nd Av., 33131.
(305) 373-6295, FAX (395) 373-6312
Mt. Franklyn O. ROLLE, Consul General Feb. 1, 1993 Mrs.
Judith Clarice THOMPSON, Consul Dec. 30, 1999
Mu. Renee Monique PINDER, Vice Consul Dec. 2, 1999

NEW YORK New York (CG) 231 E. 46th St., 10017. (212) 421-6420, FAX (212)
759-2135
Mv. Doswell Clifton COAKLEY, Consul General Jan. 10, 1997
Mw. Peter J. GOULANDRIS, Consul Mar. 1, 1994
Mx. Monique Denean MAJOR, Vice Consul Jan. 6, 1999

Bahamas Maritime Authority 231 E. 46th St., 10017.
My. Judith Arlene FRANCIS, Consul Feb. 11, 1999

Ed MacNeil Ancient Aviator North Hampton, NH, USA

MWL5901 wrote:

> Hi, I am going to one of the Bahama Islands in the end of this month also. I do have a
> Green Card but I don't have a valid passport. My local INS don't think it is a good idea
> to travel without a passport. I really need to take this field trip to graduate. Should
> I just take risk and go ahead. I can show I have strong ties to the US and that I am not
> intending to abandon my residence here. I would appreciate any help. Please e-mail your
> response to [email protected] also. Thanks.
>
> MWL

Old Feb 3rd 2001, 4:01 am
Stephen C. Gallagher

> The issue is not if you can be readmitted to the US on the basis of your
'green
> card'. Of course you can. The issue is will you be allowed to enter the Bahamas. Check
> it out with a Bahamian Consulate before going.
>

And if you find out that you can visit the Bahamas with nothing but your US green card,
make sure that the airline you're using also holds that opinion. Even if the Bahamian
consulate says yes, the airline can refuse to board you if they think that you do need a
passport in addition to your green card.