Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Travel Visa - LA & NY for 6months +

Travel Visa - LA & NY for 6months +

Old May 5th 2012, 1:45 pm
Just Joined

Matt255 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Travel Visa - LA & NY for 6months +

Hi,

Next year I am looking to move to LA on a tourist Visa. My plan is to experience the culture and ideally take part in acting short courses & seminars.

My first question is can i do this on a tourist visa? Also what is the maximum time I can stay as I would like to stop in LA and then move on to NY.

Sorry to be very brief as this is basically information gavering right now as still need to save, I am hoping to have approx. $15,000 - $20,000 is this realistic?

Thanks
Old May 5th 2012, 1:47 pm
Account Closed

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Travel Visa - LA & NY for 6months +

Attending courses and seminars could be construed as work, and that's not allowed as a tourist. I'd also be wary of saying things like "move to LA". You are visiting the place, not moving there.
Old May 5th 2012, 1:49 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Matt255
Next year I am looking to move to LA on a tourist Visa.
Umm... that is illegal.

My first question is can i do this on a tourist visa?
Oh... and just so you know, if you are otherwise eligible to use the VWP, you are unlikely to get a B-2 visitor visa. If you apply for a B-2 visa and it is denied (say... because you're eligible to use the VWP), you must then declare that visa denial on every subsequent visa application and ESTA... which will likely cause ESTA to also be denied - at least for about 6 months or so.

Hint = Google is your friend.

Ian

Last edited by ian-mstm; May 5th 2012 at 1:53 pm.
Old May 5th 2012, 2:01 pm
Just Joined

Sorry, when i say move i do not intend to stop there. It would be either be 6 months in LA or 3 months LA, 3 Months NY.
If the courses were just informative such as TV acting and then were no qualifications after etc would this still class as work?

My only problem with ESTA is that it is only 90days which i why i thought about the tourist visa as that is up to 6 months.

Do you have any advice on how to go about visiting US to do the above?
Thanks
Old May 5th 2012, 2:10 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, when i say move i do not intend to stop there. It would be either be 6 months in LA or 3 months LA, 3 Months NY.
If the courses were just informative such as TV acting and then were no qualifications after etc would this still class as work?

My only problem with ESTA is that it is only 90days which i why i thought about the tourist visa as that is up to 6 months.

Do you have any advice on how to go about visiting US to do the above?
Thanks
Yes. Take two 90-day VWP trips. One to LA, and then maybe 6 to 12 months later, a trip to NY.

Assume you will not be taking the acting courses, until you find out 100% sure that they are allowed on the VWP.

Rene
Old May 5th 2012, 2:14 pm
Just Joined

I think this ESTA may be the best way thinking about, like i said in the early stages so far. Thanks for the advice.
I think i need to reasses what will be viable - does anyone know who i should contact to get clarification on the classes\.

Thanks
Old May 5th 2012, 7:34 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I think i need to reasses what will be viable - does anyone know who i should contact to get clarification on the classes\.
If you're looking for something official, you won't find it. That sort of stuff isn't clarified anywhere because it allows the CBP officer at the border to perform his duty with the widest-possible latitude. His duty, by the way, is to keep non-US citizens out of the US.

Here's a hint though... if you have to pay to attend these classes or seminars, it's probably not allowed. If they're free - and free for everyone, not just free for you because you do a deal with someone - then they're probably an allowed activity.

Ian
Old May 6th 2012, 11:56 am
Forum Regular

411 is an unknown quantity at this point

Is that correct? I have just returned from doing a paid course and exam for my RCFE License in LA on a VWP which I obtained in February this year after 2 visa denials last year. I also do attend casting calls for which cash or gift cards are paid as expenses
Old May 6th 2012, 12:13 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 411
Is that correct? I have just returned from doing a paid course and exam for my RCFE License in LA on a VWP which I obtained in February this year after 2 visa denials last year.
I don't know about this one.

I also do attend casting calls for which cash or gift cards are paid as expenses
This one sounds like "work", since you are receiving compensation. When you are in the USA as a visitor, you are not allowed to do any work for which you get compensated, whether it be by reimbursement of your own expenses, cash payment, gift cards, or any other compensation. Any work you do as a visitor must be completely volunteer work (i.e. at a homeless shelter, food bank, etc...for which no one doing that job ever gets any payment or compensation).

Rene
Old May 6th 2012, 11:48 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by 411
Is that correct? I have just returned from doing a paid course and exam for my RCFE License in LA on a VWP which I obtained in February this year after 2 visa denials last year. I also do attend casting calls for which cash or gift cards are paid as expenses
The former most unlikely.

The latter might technically be a potential issue but why make a fuss about it?