British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/)
-   -   Travel as a Permanent Resident (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/travel-permanent-resident-601521/)

Anna Clare Apr 3rd 2009 12:46 am

Travel as a Permanent Resident

I'm waiting for my green card to arrive in the mail.

Once it is in my hand, can I travel outside the US with it? On my UK passport and with the green card on re-entry.

Is there anything else I should know or do?

Thank you!

Noorah101 Apr 3rd 2009 2:57 am

Re: Travel as a Permanent Resident

Originally Posted by Anna Clare (Post 7446856)

Once it is in my hand, can I travel outside the US with it? On my UK passport and with the green card on re-entry.

Thank you!

Once you have your green card in hand, all you need to travel abroad is your green card and your passport.

Rene

Marty J Apr 3rd 2009 3:32 am

You might also keep a record of where you're going to and your travel dates. I think might you need it if you decide to go for citizenship.

Noorah101 Apr 3rd 2009 4:13 am

Originally Posted by Marty J (Post 7447140)
You might also keep a record of where you're going to and your travel dates. I think might you need it if you decide to go for citizenship.

Excellent suggestion! We did that, and it was very helpful. :)

jeffreyhy Apr 3rd 2009 2:57 pm

AC,

And perhaps a visa issued by the country to which you want to go.

Believe it or not there are countries that won't let a UKC or US LPR in without one.

Regards, JEff

Thank you!

Originally Posted by Noorah101 (Post 7447086)
Once you have your green card in hand, all you need to travel abroad is your green card and your passport.

Rene

Folinskyinla Apr 3rd 2009 4:25 pm

Thank you!

Hi:

If you are going to spend long times outside of the US, or take up work outside of the US, or attend school outside of the US -- get legal advice from an attorney experienced in "abandonment" law. [Most immigration lawyers are not].

BTW, it is a myth that you can take up residence outside of the US and keep your green card as long as you visit the U.S. once a year. There is a case directly on that point -- it is only 34 years old, but for some reason, the word about it has yet to get out into the general immigrant community. ;)

Also, it is a damn good idea to obey the law. I recommend highly that you do not carry or own a firearm while in non-citizen status.

Marty J Apr 3rd 2009 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla (Post 7448610)
Also, it is a damn good idea to obey the law. I recommend highly that you do not carry or own a firearm while in non-citizen status.

Do you have to be a citizen to own a firearm?

Rebster Apr 3rd 2009 5:38 pm

I believe that depends upon which state you live in.

Here in Texas, they take gun ownership very seriously. When we were at a gun show and my husband (UKC) asked if he had to be a citizen to own one, the lady laughed and said "No, this is Texas. It's almost required that you own one if you live here." ;)

Just to be on the safe side though we bought the gun in my name. :thumbup:

Folinskyinla Apr 3rd 2009 6:50 pm

Originally Posted by Marty J (Post 7448673)
Do you have to be a citizen to own a firearm?

Hi:

The law on this complicated -- with combination of federal, state and local laws. If one owns a firearm, they are fairly easy to run afoul of.

Also, an accident with a registered firearm can lead to a conviction of a firearms offense for immigration purposes. California's "use a gun, go to prison" provision is a sentence enhancement provision. It has been generally ruled therefore not to be a "firearms offense" since it is not an element of the crime. However, that interpretation may now be in doubt [the reasoning I've been seeing is weird, but it is out there and the Dark Forces seem to be buying it].

So, my recommendation is more on the practical end of things -- I've defended removal proceedings involving firearms. Let me put it this way, for pre-09/30/1996 plea bargains, I'd rather have a conviction for heroin than for firearms. Although that one deals with a technicality -- and if the firearms violator is married to a US citizen, there is a way around it.

Again -- practical advice: alienage and firearms do not mix well together unless EXTREME care is taken.

Anna Clare Apr 4th 2009 1:49 pm

(I have no interest on firearms!)

Thank you for the input on travel overseas. I would like to see my family in England as I have not seen them for a year. I have my Permanent Resident Card finally in my hand!

I do have one more query. My PR card is in my married name (Shaw) and my UK passport remains in my previous name (DeLeeuw). Will I be OK to re-enter with those documents? Should I carry my marriage certificate with me as it shows both names?

Marty J Apr 4th 2009 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla (Post 7449041)
Hi:

The law on this complicated -- with combination of federal, state and local laws. If one owns a firearm, they are fairly easy to run afoul of.

Also, an accident with a registered firearm can lead to a conviction of a firearms offense for immigration purposes. California's "use a gun, go to prison" provision is a sentence enhancement provision. It has been generally ruled therefore not to be a "firearms offense" since it is not an element of the crime. However, that interpretation may now be in doubt [the reasoning I've been seeing is weird, but it is out there and the Dark Forces seem to be buying it].

So, my recommendation is more on the practical end of things -- I've defended removal proceedings involving firearms. Let me put it this way, for pre-09/30/1996 plea bargains, I'd rather have a conviction for heroin than for firearms. Although that one deals with a technicality -- and if the firearms violator is married to a US citizen, there is a way around it.

Again -- practical advice: alienage and firearms do not mix well together unless EXTREME care is taken.

Interesting stuff. I don't really have much of an inclination to own a firearm, but it's good to know these things.

Originally Posted by Anna Clare (Post 7451196)
Will I be OK to re-enter with those documents? Should I carry my marriage certificate with me as it shows both names?

Yes and yes.

Noorah101 Apr 4th 2009 4:32 pm

I do have one more query. My PR card is in my married name (Shaw) and my UK passport remains in my previous name (DeLeeuw). Will I be OK to re-enter with those documents? Should I carry my marriage certificate with me as it shows both names?

Yes, you're OK to re-enter with those documents. Yes, carry the marriage certificate with you (a photocopy of it is fine) to show the name change. Make sure your tickets are booked in your PASSPORT name, not you green card name.

Rene

jeffreyhy Apr 4th 2009 9:58 pm

My PR card is in my married name (Shaw) and my UK passport remains in my previous name (DeLeeuw). Will I be OK to re-enter with those documents? Should I carry my marriage certificate with me as it shows both names?

Worked fine for my wife for the last 4 years.