Travel on EAD AP Card

Old Nov 8th 2021, 8:41 pm
79f & Sunny

VenturaBlvd is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Travel on EAD AP Card

Hi everyone - I hope you are all well. I'm married to a USC and I am still waiting for my GC. I currently have a valid EAD AP combo card with 2 years on it.
We are due to go to Mexico this weekend (I live in California) to attend a friend's wedding.
I had a couple of silly questions and would love anyone's advice or experience:

- My EAD AP card has a different surname to my British passport since I changed name after getting married. Is this an issue? (My immigration lawyer isn't worried about this but told me to take our marriage certificate just in case)
- I cannot seem to figure out how to put the EAD AP card info into the online check-in which requires immigration status info - is it standard practice to have to manually go to the airport counter and show them the card etc? Are airlines familiar with Advance Parole?
- Also, now we are married, do my husband and go through Immigration together through the US Citizens and Perm Residents line?

Thanks,
William
Old Nov 8th 2021, 10:41 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Travel on EAD AP Card

1. Not a problem. Make sure your airline ticket is booked in your passport name. Bring copy of marriage certificate just in case.

2. You will need to check in at the counter. They should be familiar with AP.

3. You are neither a USC nor a PR, so he can go through the non- citizen line with you, if he wants to. There's usually an agent there you could also ask just to make sure.

Rene
Old Nov 9th 2021, 11:43 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Also, now we are married, do my husband and go through Immigration together through the US Citizens and Perm Residents line?
Since you aren't either of those, and your spouses status has no bearing on your status, the answer to that would be 'no'

Right now, you're an alien. Nothing more. Non-citizen line is the one for you.
Old Nov 9th 2021, 7:20 pm
79f & Sunny

VenturaBlvd is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks so much. One other question since you both seem very knowledgable and helpful.
I have an existing active Global Entry account, originating from my previous H1B visa.

Do you know if you can still use GE with an AP card? I'm guessing the GE machine would automatically provide me with an "X" receipt from the machine and send me to secondary inspection, but at least I would still have bypassed any long immigration queues.

Prior to all of this, I used to beat my USC spouse through immigration since he didn't have GE.

Thanks
Old Nov 9th 2021, 9:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

destone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by VenturaBlvd
Thanks so much. One other question since you both seem very knowledgable and helpful.
I have an existing active Global Entry account, originating from my previous H1B visa.

Do you know if you can still use GE with an AP card? I'm guessing the GE machine would automatically provide me with an "X" receipt from the machine and send me to secondary inspection, but at least I would still have bypassed any long immigration queues
That’s exactly what will happen. Firsthand experience back in July. (Since then I became a GCH.)

Once you become a GCH you’ll need to update your GE profile the next time you see a Border Officer coming back from a trip abroad.
Old Nov 9th 2021, 10:19 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by destone
That’s exactly what will happen. Firsthand experience back in July. (Since then I became a GCH.)

Once you become a GCH you’ll need to update your GE profile the next time you see a Border Officer coming back from a trip abroad.
In had the same thing happen when becoming a USC, my GE linked to my GC stopped working, I discovered this by almost missing a domestic flight because my TSA Pre also stopped working.

Rather than wait to return from an international trip I made an appointment at a GE enrollment center in NYC and got it fixed.