British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/)
-   -   Transit visa for Australian again (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/transit-visa-australian-again-930036/)

KenA Dec 28th 2019 8:43 am

Transit visa for Australian again

last year in August 2018
I travelled to Canada from Australia with stop in LA, USA

in the airport they told me I should get a USA visa even though I am not staying in the USA.

I managed to get the visa in 30 min online as I am Australian Citizen

I remember they said this visa is valid for 5 years

I am going to Canada again from Australia visa LA. USA

do I need to apply for a new visa or my old visa is ok?

materialcontroller Dec 28th 2019 8:57 am

Re: Transit visa for Australian again

Originally Posted by KenA (Post 12782831)
last year in August 2018
I travelled to Canada from Australia with stop in LA, USA

in the airport they told me I should get a USA visa even though I am not staying in the USA.

I managed to get the visa in 30 min online as I am Australian Citizen

I remember they said this visa is valid for 5 years

I am going to Canada again from Australia visa LA. USA

do I need to apply for a new visa or my old visa is ok?

Did you actually get a visa or was it an ESTA authorisation? In any case, if your current authorisation is valid for 5 years from 2018, why would you need to get another one?

KenA Dec 28th 2019 9:07 am

I am not sure if it is valid for 5 years and I do not have a copy of it.
is there a way I can check if it is valid?

materialcontroller Dec 28th 2019 9:28 am

Originally Posted by KenA (Post 12782837)
I am not sure if it is valid for 5 years and I do not have a copy of it.
is there a way I can check if it is valid?

Presumably you can go back to the original website where you "managed to get the visa in 30 min online as I am Australian Citizen", log in again and see what information is held about you.

BritInParis Dec 28th 2019 2:03 pm

Check here: https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/individualStatusLookup

newacct Dec 28th 2019 7:29 pm

You cannot get a US visa at an airport. You got an ESTA, which is electronic authorization for flying to the US and entering as a visitor (transiting requires you to enter) on the Visa Waiver Program. ESTAs are generally valid for 2 years. As long as the date you will enter the US next time is on or before the end of that 2 years, you do not need a new ESTA.

KenA Dec 28th 2019 10:53 pm

Thanks everyone

I checked it and as newacct mentioned it is valid for 2 years.
thx heaps

dfjordan Dec 28th 2019 11:30 pm

Does anyone here have any idea as to why the US doesnt have the normal intransit system that most, if not all other countries ( I have no knowledge of others ) have ?

scrubbedexpat099 Dec 29th 2019 4:52 am

Originally Posted by dfjordan (Post 12782966)
Does anyone here have any idea as to why the US doesn't have the normal in transit system that most, if not all other countries ( I have no knowledge of others ) have ?

Most people who fly in the US do so domestically, I think it was 30 years after my first flight that I flew domestically in the UK and why would they change things now?

dfjordan Dec 29th 2019 7:37 pm

I dont see how your reply relates to my question. The in transit situation has nothing to do with internal travel. I’m referring to those who arrive in the USon an international flight, connecting immediately to another international flight.

petitefrancaise Dec 29th 2019 8:07 pm

Originally Posted by dfjordan (Post 12782966)
Does anyone here have any idea as to why the US doesnt have the normal intransit system that most, if not all other countries ( I have no knowledge of others ) have ?

I believe it's the same for Canada.

scrubbedexpat099 Dec 29th 2019 8:37 pm

Simply not a big enough deal.

Noorah101 Dec 29th 2019 10:03 pm

It also might be to discourage folks from entering the USA without a visa and then staying illegally.

Rene

BritInParis Dec 29th 2019 10:43 pm

Originally Posted by dfjordan (Post 12783234)
I dont see how your reply relates to my question. The in transit situation has nothing to do with internal travel. I’m referring to those who arrive in the USon an international flight, connecting immediately to another international flight.

Because you’re still crossing the border into the US.

scottyvisa Jan 2nd 2020 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by dfjordan (Post 12783234)

Also unlike most countries, departure gates in the US aren't separated by domestic or international, and domestic flights also use those gates for arrivals, so if you were switching between two international flights without a visa, there would be nothing to stop you walking out of the airport while waiting.