Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Transfer L1 visa - Indian Passport to British Passport

Wikiposts

Transfer L1 visa - Indian Passport to British Passport

Old Feb 11th 2014, 1:35 am
Just Joined

dcba is an unknown quantity at this point
Post Transfer L1 visa - Indian Passport to British Passport

Hello,

We are planning to move to Houston on Intra-company transfer (L1- VISA) from UK with family.
I and my son hold British Passport and my wife is just in process of applying British passport (she holds Indian passport just now) passport. Once my wife gets her British passport so whole family have British Passport and then apply for L1 visa on British passports. To get British passport it might take some time

To save some time can we just apply L1-VISA now on Indian passport for my wife?
Then once she gets her British passport is there any way where her visa can be transferred to British passport since India passport would be revoked?
Old Feb 11th 2014, 1:43 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Transfer L1 visa - Indian Passport to British Passport

General comment: in the case of a change of nationality, the visa canNOT be "transferred" -- a new visa is required. When I was in practice, this was a piece of cake.

Second general comment: there is a rule that a visa in an expired passport can be used with a valid passport. The entry stamp in the new passport will usually be endorsed with "VIOPP" [visa in other passport]. However, this rule does NOT apply in situations such as OP's spouse.

Third general comment: In the L visa context, accompanying family members obtain L-2 visas. In reading the original post, I will admit that I first presumed that the wife was the accompanying spouse and therefore the reference to L-1 was incorrect. If the wife is the transferred employee, then the post was worded correctly.
Old Feb 11th 2014, 2:02 am
Just Joined

dcba is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

Thanks for reply,

Yes it was my mistake, wife visa should be L-2 type.

so can wife visa transferred to new passport (upon nationality changes) easily now in a days?
Old Feb 11th 2014, 2:11 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dcba
so can wife visa transferred to new passport (upon nationality changes) easily now in a days?
Re-read Mr Folinsky's points 1 and 2.

Rene
Old Feb 11th 2014, 3:06 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dcba
No! A visa can not be transferred from one passport to another. If she wants a visa in her British passport, she will need to apply for a new visa.

Ian
Old Feb 11th 2014, 12:01 pm
Forum Regular

maulajatt is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Ian,

Is this true even in case when a person changes citizenship while in USA (not to US Citizenship), Does the US visa status expires in this case or person can stay legally and only need new visa if travelling outside USA.
Old Feb 11th 2014, 12:23 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by maulajatt
Hi Ian,

Is this true even in case when a person changes citizenship while in USA (not to US Citizenship), Does the US visa status expires in this case or person can stay legally and only need new visa if travelling outside USA.
Only if traveling outside the USA, you need the new visa to get back into USA.

Rene