Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Traffic ticket between filing app and interview

Traffic ticket between filing app and interview

Old Sep 19th 2005, 3:12 pm
Forum Regular

gaude is just really nicegaude is just really nicegaude is just really nicegaude is just really nicegaude is just really nicegaude is just really nicegaude is just really nicegaude is just really nicegaude is just really nicegaude is just really nice
Unhappy Traffic ticket between filing app and interview

Hi Guys-

Sigh...What a bummer of a day. I got a speeding ticket this morning for going 25mph in a 20mph zone. As I mentioned earlier, I have a sum total of 7-8 tickets now over the course of the last 13 years that I have been driving. The last ticket I got (prior to the one this morning) was five years ago. I am filing for N-400 based on marriage (so, record *was* clean for the last 3 years).

The shame list is as follows:
Today : speeding(5 miles over)...pending
2 tickets for expired inspection sticket and 2 tickets for failure to yield in 1999-2000 timeframe - paid fine
1 failure to yeild in 1994 - paid fine
1 speeding in 1996 - paid fine

Had to go to court for one of the tickets in 1999 which I seem to have
forgotten to pay a fine for and license got suspended. Case was dismissed when I paid court costs
Had to go to court once in 2000 for an abandoned motor vehicle charge. Vehicle had already been donated to charity. Case dismissed (no $$ paid).

The question is do I pay the ticket today and just take the ticket and payment stub to the N-400 interview? Or should I appeal it (which may take 6 months to get to court and then to resolution with a 50-50 chance of a "not responsible" finding.

Also, will 1 ticket in the 3 year "observation" period hurt my chances in any way? I am so bummed that my step 9 status is going to get moved up...

-- Gaude
Old Sep 19th 2005, 4:25 pm
Forum Regular

gaude is just really nicegaude is just really nicegaude is just really nicegaude is just really nicegaude is just really nicegaude is just really nicegaude is just really nicegaude is just really nicegaude is just really nicegaude is just really nice
Default Re: Traffic ticket between filing app and interview

Any thoughts guys?

-- Gaude

Originally Posted by gaude
Hi Guys-

Sigh...What a bummer of a day. I got a speeding ticket this morning for going 25mph in a 20mph zone. As I mentioned earlier, I have a sum total of 7-8 tickets now over the course of the last 13 years that I have been driving. The last ticket I got (prior to the one this morning) was five years ago. I am filing for N-400 based on marriage (so, record *was* clean for the last 3 years).

The shame list is as follows:
Today : speeding(5 miles over)...pending
2 tickets for expired inspection sticket and 2 tickets for failure to yield in 1999-2000 timeframe - paid fine
1 failure to yeild in 1994 - paid fine
1 speeding in 1996 - paid fine

Had to go to court for one of the tickets in 1999 which I seem to have
forgotten to pay a fine for and license got suspended. Case was dismissed when I paid court costs
Had to go to court once in 2000 for an abandoned motor vehicle charge. Vehicle had already been donated to charity. Case dismissed (no $$ paid).

The question is do I pay the ticket today and just take the ticket and payment stub to the N-400 interview? Or should I appeal it (which may take 6 months to get to court and then to resolution with a 50-50 chance of a "not responsible" finding.

Also, will 1 ticket in the 3 year "observation" period hurt my chances in any way? I am so bummed that my step 9 status is going to get moved up...

-- Gaude
Old Sep 19th 2005, 4:34 pm
strangely floppy..

CarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond repute

Any thoughts guys?

-- Gaude
yeah - stop driving like a nutter!
Old Sep 19th 2005, 4:37 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by CarlM
yeah - stop driving like a nutter!
done...lol...! Anything else that anyone else can shed in terms of the case
(besides the fact that I am rubbish driver)...

-- Gaude
Old Sep 19th 2005, 5:01 pm
strangely floppy..

CarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond repute

done...lol...! Anything else that anyone else can shed in terms of the case
(besides the fact that I am rubbish driver)...

-- Gaude
If it were me i would pay it and have done with the thing. That way its concluded for the N-400 filing, and is water under the bridge. (And its not like its going to tarnish an otherwise impeccable record anyways! LOL)..
Old Sep 20th 2005, 12:38 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Traffic tickets by themselves are not grounds for denial... but not disclosing them is! I had 3 speeding tickets in the five years prior to filing my N-400. It was a non-issue. I agree with CarlM... pay the fine, put it behind you, and disclose it.

Ian