Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Tourist Visa Overstay Question (not me)

Wikiposts

Tourist Visa Overstay Question (not me)

Old May 30th 2002, 4:20 pm
Sandra

Default Tourist Visa Overstay Question (not me)

hi Group!

This isn't about me, I did things the right way and have my Condition PR in the bag.

This question is about a friend of a friend. Said friend has overstayed by a number
of years 2/3, not sure but no less. She is planning on getting married to her
American boyfriend.

What will happen when she goes to adjust status?

It is people like this who make it so much harder for the rest of us and thoughts of
calling the INS have crossed my mind. Who would I call exactly and what would happen?

thanks

Old May 30th 2002, 5:20 pm
Mrtravel

Default Re: Tourist Visa Overstay Question (not me)

sandra wrote:
    >
    > hi Group!
    >
    > This isn't about me, I did things the right way and have my Condition PR in
    > the bag.
    >
    > This question is about a friend of a friend. Said friend has overstayed by a number
    > of years 2/3, not sure but no less. She is planning on getting married to her
    > American boyfriend.
    >
    > What will happen when she goes to adjust status?

She will probably become a permanent resident.

>
    > It is people like this who make it so much harder for the rest of us and thoughts
    > of calling the INS have crossed my mind.

How exactly did her overstay make it harder for the "rest of us"?

>Who would I call exactly and what would happen?

You should call your friend and ask them what you should do about their friend....
She might get deported, so how exactly would that make it "easier" for "the rest of
us"?? Many people take risks in being here. They face the consequences of their
decisions. Its up to you whether it bothers you or not. My problem is with people
that get caught and complain about how bad the system is. I have no problem with
honest, hardworking, and good people that choose to stay in this country. I realize
that only through luck that I was born here.

Old May 30th 2002, 8:20 pm
Falx Cerebri

I agree. (and applaud mrtravel for his comment)

mrtravel <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    >
    >
    > sandra wrote:
    > >
    > > hi Group!
    > >
    > > This isn't about me, I did things the right way and have my Condition PR in
    > > the bag.
    > >
    > > This question is about a friend of a friend. Said friend has overstayed by a
    > > number of years 2/3, not sure but no less. She is planning on getting married to
    > > her American boyfriend.
    > >
    > > What will happen when she goes to adjust status?
    >
    > She will probably become a permanent resident.
    >
    > >
    > > It is people like this who make it so much harder for the rest of us and thoughts
    > > of calling the INS have crossed my mind.
    >
    > How exactly did her overstay make it harder for the "rest of us"?
    >
    > >Who would I call exactly and what would happen?
    >
    > You should call your friend and ask them what you should do about their friend....
    > She might get deported, so how exactly would that make it "easier" for "the rest of
    > us"?? Many people take risks in being here. They face the consequences of their
    > decisions. Its up to you whether it bothers you or not. My problem is with people
    > that get caught and complain about how bad the system is. I have no problem with
    > honest, hardworking, and good people that choose to stay in this country. I realize
    > that only through luck that I was born here.

Old May 30th 2002, 10:20 pm
Des

Sandra,

once she is married to her American boyfriend, they have to file for AOS based on
marriage: I-130 (petition for alien spouse), I-485, I-864, I-693, I-765. Due to her
overstay, she will NOT be eligible to leave the country on advance parole to travel
until she is fully adjusted because she has such a long overstay.

Her illegal work, as well as the overstay should be forgiven through her marriage to
a USC after the adjustment interview. She would only have problems if she has a
criminal history, or serious medical problems (HIV positive etc).

-Des