Tourist visa

Old Dec 15th 2017, 3:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tourist visa

Being of working age, and with an 11 year old daughter in tow, you are not going to get a B/2 visa to allow you to do what you are planning.
Old Dec 15th 2017, 4:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Note that the responses here are not to ridicule or poke fun at any plans, it's simply to help you avoid the hassle of declaring a visa rejection for the rest of your (and your kid's!) life.

Best of luck.
Old Dec 15th 2017, 5:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Fred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by tom169
Note that the responses here are not to ridicule or poke fun at any plans, it's simply to help you avoid the hassle of declaring a visa rejection for the rest of your (and your kid's!) life.

Best of luck.
Agree 100%
Old Dec 15th 2017, 6:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

karenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lisac43
We wouldn't work in the US? We have UK based businesses which would continue to run in the UK.
Could there be any potential to open up a US company affiliated to your current company. Just wondering if any possibility of L1 for you.
Old Dec 15th 2017, 11:06 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder if the home schooling part runs afoul of the F-1 visa requirements. A B-2 can't be for purposes of study.

OP's inquiry has this poster scratching his head. I find the certainty in many of the responses here to be on the troubling side.

I don't know the answers in this case. I would have a lot of questions.
Old Dec 16th 2017, 12:54 am
Banned

Twinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond repute

We wouldn't work in the US? We have UK based businesses which would continue to run in the UK.
I thought your partner was a rally driver? Now you're saying you run businesses that can manage without you (would also swing heavily in favour of a denial for a B-2 - what reason would you have to return?).

Being a "teacher" to your child also would be considered work and strictly forbidden on a B-2. If you were to spend 6 months each year here and those would be the winter months that would be a significant chunk of the school year in a country with a 3-month school break each summer. Home-schooling may require you to submit a notice of intent and be certified or registered in some way (depends on the state law) but most certainly would require the child to sit tests to make sure she is progressing. These tests would be the local curriculum.

On a personal note, having spent my childhood being dragged beteeen two countries due to my fighting parents not being able to decide whose country is better, I think your plan is nothing short of crazy bad extremely selfish. Just to get away from winters that are not that cold (it's hardly northern Norway), you want to take your child away from her friends, cousins, grandparents, aunts, uncles, clubs and hobbies for 6 months of the year, disrupt her education, make it very difficult for her to feel she belongs here because she won't be going to school and making friends. And all this as she approaches puberty, one of the worst and most confusing times to be a girl. Boarding school would be better. At least she would have stability and permanence. I've never forgiven my parents. Don't be surprised if your daughter reacts the same way.

Can you afford healthcare here for 6 months of the year for 3 people? It will cost thousands. Spend more than 3 months living in another country and you lose access to the NHS.

Have you considered Spain if this is just about weather? I think anyone who moves here just for the weather and thinks everything will be wonderful just because the sun is shining has a big shock coming to them.
Old Dec 16th 2017, 2:55 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
I wonder if the home schooling part runs afoul of the F-1 visa requirements. A B-2 can't be for purposes of study.

OP's inquiry has this poster scratching his head. I find the certainty in many of the responses here to be on the troubling side.

I don't know the answers in this case. I would have a lot of questions.
People are looking for advice, which generally involves a level of certainty. If you haven't figured it out yet, we aren't attorneys and rely on our experience. The wish-washy non-commital answers that you give leave to further confusion and often lead me to question their point much the same way Ian used to.

Sure you're not our attorney, but then why mention that you are an attorney at all? At this point it hardly benefits anyone.
Old Dec 16th 2017, 3:47 pm
Just Joined

Lisac43 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Twinkle0927
I thought your partner was a rally driver? Now you're saying you run businesses that can manage without you (would also swing heavily in favour of a denial for a B-2 - what reason would you have to return?).

Being a "teacher" to your child also would be considered work and strictly forbidden on a B-2. If you were to spend 6 months each year here and those would be the winter months that would be a significant chunk of the school year in a country with a 3-month school break each summer. Home-schooling may require you to submit a notice of intent and be certified or registered in some way (depends on the state law) but most certainly would require the child to sit tests to make sure she is progressing. These tests would be the local curriculum.

On a personal note, having spent my childhood being dragged beteeen two countries due to my fighting parents not being able to decide whose country is better, I think your plan is nothing short of crazy bad extremely selfish. Just to get away from winters that are not that cold (it's hardly northern Norway), you want to take your child away from her friends, cousins, grandparents, aunts, uncles, clubs and hobbies for 6 months of the year, disrupt her education, make it very difficult for her to feel she belongs here because she won't be going to school and making friends. And all this as she approaches puberty, one of the worst and most confusing times to be a girl. Boarding school would be better. At least she would have stability and permanence. I've never forgiven my parents. Don't be surprised if your daughter reacts the same way.

Can you afford healthcare here for 6 months of the year for 3 people? It will cost thousands. Spend more than 3 months living in another country and you lose access to the NHS.

Have you considered Spain if this is just about weather? I think anyone who moves here just for the weather and thinks everything will be wonderful just because the sun is shining has a big shock coming to them.
Your reply is just rude & a personal attack on me. I too travelled as a child & loved it, it made me know I am.
My partner is a Rally Rider and so trains abroad, doing this would allow us more time as a family. He also has a business and is quite capable of doing both.
I've no doubt Norway is colder but that's not the point, he needs to ride in the desert which is why Nevada suits us.

Don't get personal, all I wanted was advice. The job offer is not viable and so we are thinking of other ideas.
Old Dec 16th 2017, 4:58 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Your reply is just rude & a personal attack on me. I too travelled as a child & loved it, it made me know I am.
My partner is a Rally Rider and so trains abroad, doing this would allow us more time as a family. He also has a business and is quite capable of doing both.
I've no doubt Norway is colder but that's not the point, he needs to ride in the desert which is why Nevada suits us.

Don't get personal, all I wanted was advice. The job offer is not viable and so we are thinking of other ideas.
Good morning, Lisac

I understand that Twinkle's post came across as rude but I'm sure it wasn't meant to be. We write the way we speak and this is her way of speaking. Blunt and to the point. It is easy to slip personal life experiences into one's post and it does take away the objectivity. While her childhood experiences will, in all probably, not mirror yours or your daughter's, to her they hold much validity.

Please understand that the US is a difficult country to immigrate to. Our visa system is limited to work, student and immediate family visas. Tourist visas are extremely difficult to obtain for most people who come from visa waiver countries. There are no retirement visas or visas for those who want to live in the US only part time. Anyone can enter the US and purchase property but that does not mean that they can live here for more than the 90 days under the VWP or their Tourist Visa. They can also be turned away at any point when they attempt entry.

If you were fortunate and were successful in getting a B visa, that visa will only allow your husband to free wheel it in the desert as a visitor. That means no hooking up with an organization for training. That also means not being able to run your UK based business while you are in the US.

Can you get away with doing both? Probably. But the world is becoming smaller and the world of electronics means big brother is watching and reading every time you are online. Who knows if you or your husband will be the ones caught out.

I'm far away from being an immigration attorney. While I took classes in US immigration studies for three years, it does not make me an attorney with any insider insights to offer. It is hard to give up on a dream so I'm telling not to give up. If your husband is good enough at his craft, someone, somewhere will help him find his way to a work visa if one is possible to obtain for that field. And if it is not a work visa, perhaps if he perfects his craft and becomes well known, he one day can qualify for an O visa.

Keep striving forward and perhaps the investment of a few hundred pounds to consult with a UK based immigration attorney specializing in the US will help you both to formulate a viable plan of action.

Last edited by Rete; Dec 16th 2017 at 5:01 pm.
Old Dec 16th 2017, 7:33 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Rete
Good morning, Lisac

I understand that Twinkle's post came across as rude but I'm sure it wasn't meant to be. We write the way we speak and this is her way of speaking. Blunt and to the point. It is easy to slip personal life experiences into one's post and it does take away the objectivity. While her childhood experiences will, in all probably, not mirror yours or your daughter's, to her they hold much validity.

Please understand that the US is a difficult country to immigrate to. Our visa system is limited to work, student and immediate family visas. Tourist visas are extremely difficult to obtain for most people who come from visa waiver countries. There are no retirement visas or visas for those who want to live in the US only part time. Anyone can enter the US and purchase property but that does not mean that they can live here for more than the 90 days under the VWP or their Tourist Visa. They can also be turned away at any point when they attempt entry.

If you were fortunate and were successful in getting a B visa, that visa will only allow your husband to free wheel it in the desert as a visitor. That means no hooking up with an organization for training. That also means not being able to run your UK based business while you are in the US.

Can you get away with doing both? Probably. But the world is becoming smaller and the world of electronics means big brother is watching and reading every time you are online. Who knows if you or your husband will be the ones caught out.

I'm far away from being an immigration attorney. While I took classes in US immigration studies for three years, it does not make me an attorney with any insider insights to offer. It is hard to give up on a dream so I'm telling not to give up. If your husband is good enough at his craft, someone, somewhere will help him find his way to a work visa if one is possible to obtain for that field. And if it is not a work visa, perhaps if he perfects his craft and becomes well known, he one day can qualify for an O visa.

Keep striving forward and perhaps the investment of a few hundred pounds to consult with a UK based immigration attorney specializing in the US will help you both to formulate a viable plan of action.
I tend to think US is actually very liberal in the immigration field, try doing it the other way around.
Old Dec 16th 2017, 8:58 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

My partner is a Rally Rider and so trains abroad, doing this would allow us more time as a family.
Where does he currently go to train abroad? Perhaps you can all go there as a family to visit while he trains.

He also has a business and is quite capable of doing both.
Perhaps, but not in the USA, since the USA does not allow a visitor to work while inside the USA, not even for his business back home while he's physically inside the USA.

At this point, he can only come to Nevada on the VWP, as a visitor, for up to 90 days at a time, ride in the Nevada desert. That is the reality.

all I wanted was advice. The job offer is not viable and so we are thinking of other ideas.
You got a lot of advice on this thread regarding your B-2 question. I don't believe anyone has any more advice to offer on that topic.

Rene
Old Dec 17th 2017, 6:01 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
People are looking for advice, which generally involves a level of certainty. If you haven't figured it out yet, we aren't attorneys and rely on our experience. The wish-washy non-commital answers that you give leave to further confusion and often lead me to question their point much the same way Ian used to.

Sure you're not our attorney, but then why mention that you are an attorney at all? At this point it hardly benefits anyone.
It seems that we have different viewpoints. I gather that you believe that information is valuable if it is presented with certainty. It does not matter if the advice is correct or not. My viewpoint is that it important that correct advice be given.

As a layperson, you are free to give advice without concern or liability as to whether it is correct or not. Although you have freedom to give bad advice, as an attorney I do not.

I am a person with extensive knowledge and experience. I don't mind sharing the benefit of that knowledge and experience. At the same time, I have to protect myself. Also, I hope that my warning indicates that I have not taken on the responsibility of investigation and inquiry that are an attorney's duty in the course of representation. (And the appearance of an attorney client relationship can be absurdly easy to create).

I know that people like certain answers. Quite often this is really impossible. US immigration law can be quite confusing and the acronym of "YMMV" applies.

You value certainty in answers. I value correctness. It looks like we disagree. That is your privilege; it is not mine.
Old Dec 17th 2017, 11:44 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

If you value correctness, than it is my suspicion that the only answer that you should give on ANY topic is the line that you most often use - 'consult an experienced immigration attorney'

To imply that I don't value correctness is incorrect, because I do. I do not like giving bad advice, but what people come on here for is advice. If all we said was the sentence mentioned below, BR would be a pretty pointless place to exist.

I don't believe any reasonable person, receiving a response on a internet thread, would consider there to have been an attorney-client relationship. On that point I would repeat that if no one knows you are an attorney, that relationship is impossible to create. So just don't mention it at all.
Old Dec 17th 2017, 12:37 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I believe the OP received enough advice. Thread closed.

Rene