Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Top 10 Reasons Why Immigration Becomes a Burden

Top 10 Reasons Why Immigration Becomes a Burden

Old Feb 27th 2011, 9:30 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Top 10 Reasons Why Immigration Becomes a Burden

Top 10 Reasons Why Immigration Becomes a Burden:

#10 – people don’t like where they are currently, and think the US is some sort of Garden of Eden. There’s lots of great things about the US, but there’s lots of really bad things about the US also. To focus on the former without considering the latter, is just plain silly. Living in the US is not like vacationing in the US...but, sadly, no one ever believes that until they find out for themselves that it’s true. Such a waste! The more you don’t like where you are, the more immigration to the US will seem like a burden.

#9 – people don’t like the immigrant community where they currently live, so they themselves want to become immigrants and move elsewhere! Well... what can I say? When you are desperate to get out of your situation, you’re going to make bad decisions. See #10 above!

#8 – people believe immigration is a right... especially when married to a US citizen. That right doesn’t exist. You might have a right to marry whomever you choose, but you do not have a right to have that person live with you in the US. If your fiancé(e) has an immigration issue and you get married thinking it’ll solve your fiancé(e)’s issue... think again – you might end up married and living in different countries. This would really make immigration seem like a burden... but it’s really not the fault of the US government.

#7 – people believe that their past will never come back to haunt them. I’ve got news for you... the US isn’t the UK – it’s a whole different country, and there’s no such thing as a "spent conviction" when it comes to US immigration. Educate yourself: read up on CIMTs, drink driving convictions, one-offs, theft, fighting, and more! You’re fortunate if you’ve found someone who’ll overlook your past... but the US government won’t, and your journey will seem like a burden. Oh, while I'm thinking about it - there is no "special relationship" between the UK and the US! It's all media hype!

#6 – people try to micromanage the process. Educate yourself: find out how long the entire process takes and don’t get bogged down worrying about the specifics of the process. You can’t do it; it’s simply not possible. As Heinlein said, "Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig."

#5 – people believe that what is written on an Embassy/Consulate web site, is the law. It isn’t. Such information is only ever general in nature and you should never trust that it is accurate. The US Supreme Court has upheld the notion that you can’t take, as accurate, anything told to you by a US government employee – that’s also true of their web sites. So, again, educate yourself!

#4 – people believe that if they call the 1-800 immigration hotline, they’ll get accurate information. You won’t – and the US Supreme Court has said as much. See #5 above. Don’t waste your time... read Heinlein instead!

#3 – people try to interpret the forms to fit their situation. The forms are actually very straight forward. Take each question at face value, and don’t try to read into the question something that simply isn’t there. Don’t try to interpret the question to fit into your specific situation. If you do... well, immigration is going to become burdensome!

#2 – people think too much with their hormones. You will never make a good decision when all you can think about is having sex with some US citizen! Your overactive hormones will make you impatient and anxious, and will really make immigration seem like a burden.

and, finally...

#1 – people have unrealistic expectations. Immigration takes time and it takes money – and you need both! One or the other is not sufficient. Also, the US government has no interest whatsoever in whether or not you’re in love! The US simply doesn’t care! While the wheels of immigration may turn slowly, they do turn.

Remember the mantra and repeat often: immigration is an adventure; immigration is an adventure; immigration is an adventure; immigration...

Ian
Old Feb 27th 2011, 10:21 pm
Shocked of Redmond

nettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Top 10 Reasons Why Immigration Becomes a Burden

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
#2 – people think too much with their hormones. You will never make a good decision when all you can think about is having sex with some US citizen! Your overactive hormones will make you impatient and anxious, and will really make immigration seem like a burden.
Old Feb 28th 2011, 8:44 am
Forum Regular

joannabanana is a name known to alljoannabanana is a name known to alljoannabanana is a name known to alljoannabanana is a name known to alljoannabanana is a name known to alljoannabanana is a name known to alljoannabanana is a name known to alljoannabanana is a name known to alljoannabanana is a name known to alljoannabanana is a name known to alljoannabanana is a name known to all

that made monday morning so much better....
Old Feb 28th 2011, 12:52 pm
Forum Regular

Psychosleftpeg is just really nicePsychosleftpeg is just really nicePsychosleftpeg is just really nicePsychosleftpeg is just really nicePsychosleftpeg is just really nicePsychosleftpeg is just really nicePsychosleftpeg is just really nicePsychosleftpeg is just really nice

people try to interpret the forms to fit their situation. The forms are actually very straight forward. Take each question at face value, and don’t try to read into the question something that simply isn’t there.
I have to admit that i've nearly fallen into that category recently. I've also fallen into a mindset that the USCIS are out to find reasons not to permit me to live as a PR in the U.S. This paranoia isnt based on anything that has happened, just worrying far me than I need to. The USCIS are not against applicants, just against those who are trying to manipulate the system, or at least thats my perception.
Old Feb 28th 2011, 3:43 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Psychosleftpeg
I have to admit that i've nearly fallen into that category recently. I've also fallen into a mindset that the USCIS are out to find reasons not to permit me to live as a PR in the U.S. This paranoia isnt based on anything that has happened, just worrying far me than I need to. The USCIS are not against applicants, just against those who are trying to manipulate the system, or at least thats my perception.
It pays to remember the the US immigration laws are premised on the idea that non-citizens should not be allowed to the live in the US. There are exceptions. Also, DHS does not really get credit for how many non-citizen applicants are processed and are approved. However, they will get the blame if an error is made in giving status to someone who was not eligible.
Old Feb 28th 2011, 4:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

randomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
It pays to remember the the US immigration laws are premised on the idea that non-citizens should not be allowed to the live in the US. There are exceptions. Also, DHS does not really get credit for how many non-citizen applicants are processed and are approved. However, they will get the blame if an error is made in giving status to someone who was not eligible.
Absolutely true! The number of applications they receive must be astronomical. Also, in this age of terrorism they have a lot of responsibility to make sure they're not granting the wrong people immigration benefits.
Old Feb 28th 2011, 4:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by randomgirl
Absolutely true! The number of applications they receive must be astronomical. Also, in this age of terrorism they have a lot of responsibility to make sure they're not granting the wrong people immigration benefits.
Whilst agree, what is to say that they were ok when admissable, but later turn the other way...happens everywhere!

They will still take the sucker punch for the error, but crap rolls down hill faster!
Old Feb 28th 2011, 7:12 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wolfy
Whilst agree, what is to say that they were ok when admissable, but later turn the other way...happens everywhere!

They will still take the sucker punch for the error, but crap rolls down hill faster!

It's called mitigating damages or damage control. Rather than are able to stop 7 out of 10 terrorist from getting in instead of allowing 10 out of 10 in. There are enough home grown varieties to make up for the lost of foreign ones.
Old Feb 28th 2011, 7:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

randomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Rete
It's called mitigating damages or damage control. Rather than are able to stop 7 out of 10 terrorist from getting in instead of allowing 10 out of 10 in. There are enough home grown varieties to make up for the lost of foreign ones.
Exactly!
Old Feb 28th 2011, 7:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Thats more or less what i said, ok when they come, but later turn