Too late for Citizenship?

Old Jul 4th 2019, 8:20 am
Just Joined

mattiel is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Too late for Citizenship?

I recently came back to the UK due to my mother being unwell and decided it best that we start making plans to make the UK our permanent home. My Husband (US Citizen) came with me and has since gone back to the US and is in the process of applying for a UK visa. I am still in England, have rented a house and set up with the HRMC to help his application.

Unfortunately my return home was all very last minute and rushed so I wasn’t able to get citizenship before I left although I been a green card holder for 7 years. I realise that my green card will expire in a few months if I don’t return and I am wondering if it if worth returning to apply for citizenship. Is it possible I return and stay with his parents, apply for the citizenship, hang around for biometrics/interview and make sure I’m there when needed? This isn’t ideal I understand and I would just forget about it if it wasn’t for my husband. He’s worried if we ever have to move back to the US that we’ll have to wait a whole year to get a green card.

Thank you in advance.
Old Jul 4th 2019, 10:09 am
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Too late for Citizenship?

Originally Posted by mattiel
I recently came back to the UK due to my mother being unwell and decided it best that we start making plans to make the UK our permanent home. My Husband (US Citizen) came with me and has since gone back to the US and is in the process of applying for a UK visa. I am still in England, have rented a house and set up with the HRMC to help his application.

Unfortunately my return home was all very last minute and rushed so I wasn’t able to get citizenship before I left although I been a green card holder for 7 years. I realise that my green card will expire in a few months if I don’t return and I am wondering if it if worth returning to apply for citizenship. Is it possible I return and stay with his parents, apply for the citizenship, hang around for biometrics/interview and make sure I’m there when needed? This isn’t ideal I understand and I would just forget about it if it wasn’t for my husband. He’s worried if we ever have to move back to the US that we’ll have to wait a whole year to get a green card.

Thank you in advance.
depends on what recently means? More or less than 6 months ago? you say you have been a PR for 7 years but then that your GC expires in a few months. Assuming you meet all the other requirements you will need to be resident in the USCIS district you apply in for 3+ months/90 days, and then there will be a wait for all stages of the process, in CT mine only took about 10 months, other areas could be faster, in others longer.
Old Jul 4th 2019, 3:15 pm
Just Joined

I left maybe 2.5 months ago so my green card and residency would still be active as it stands.

How do I prove i've been in that USCIS district? I guess my bank bills go to to my husbands parents house in Utah but I lived in another state briefly before we left America (just to complicate things!)

10 months seems like a long wait and I understand that I would need to be careful of trips out of the country while the citizenship application is being processed. Sounds like it's possible though. One question, if my husband receives his UK visa while my application is pending for US citizenship is that likely to affect my application? Idea idea how far into these things they may look?
Old Jul 4th 2019, 5:08 pm
tht

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

I left maybe 2.5 months ago so my green card and residency would still be active as it stands.

How do I prove i've been in that USCIS district? I guess my bank bills go to to my husbands parents house in Utah but I lived in another state briefly before we left America (just to complicate things!)

10 months seems like a long wait and I understand that I would need to be careful of trips out of the country while the citizenship application is being processed. Sounds like it's possible though. One question, if my husband receives his UK visa while my application is pending for US citizenship is that likely to affect my application? Idea idea how far into these things they may look?
They would know where you are resident based on your AR-11 filing every time you move:
https://www.uscis.gov/ar-11

Assuming you are filling based on 5 years as a resident they look at 5 years residential addresses and 5 years work history.

I had to list all travel outside the US for 5 years, at the interview they ask you about additional travel since you submitted the N-400 and then they ask again at the ceremony. But unless you are at the boundary or take a trip longer than 6 months I am not sure they can deny you for travel. But moving outside the US and abandoning your PR would be an issue.

Last edited by tht; Jul 4th 2019 at 5:19 pm.
Old Jul 4th 2019, 6:01 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

You have to show that is where you currently reside and have done so.

I thought they were talking a ear or so on average I know it varies.
Old Jul 5th 2019, 7:35 am
Just Joined

Any idea if my husband getting UK residency during my US citizenship process will affect my application? Is there any way they can know I am renting in the UK? I know this is backwards but but we intend to live in the UK for a few years ago least but will most likely return to the US in the future. I'm not sure there is much they can do about me leaving once I have citizenship so long as I file for taxes every year?
Old Jul 5th 2019, 7:36 am
Just Joined

Also, I kept my AR-11 address at my husbands parents house but we lived in different states over the years. Is that an issue?
Old Jul 5th 2019, 10:42 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Any idea if my husband getting UK residency during my US citizenship process will affect my application?
No

Is there any way they can know I am renting in the UK?
You are required to disclose changes to address during the process. Not doing so may well be a material misrepresentation and be grounds for later denaturalization, especially since you are talking about an address abroad.

​​​​​​​I'm not sure there is much they can do about me leaving once I have citizenship so long as I file for taxes every year?
A USC can come and go as they please.

​​​​​​​Also, I kept my AR-11 address at my husbands parents house but we lived in different states over the years. Is that an issue?
Very unlikely
Old Jul 5th 2019, 1:01 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Any idea if my husband getting UK residency during my US citizenship process will affect my application?
IMHO, Yes. Simply stated if your husband obtains a UK spousal visa during your naturalization process and he moves to the UK, then it shows that you are no longer living in the US and have plans to be out of the country for a while.

If you are truly serious about naturalizing, then paid\\y the fee for a one time consultation with a qualified US immigration attorney. Write down all your questions before the consultation so you don't forget to ask sometime important. While the forum has many helpful people, a situation such as yours, someone who is no longer a resident of the US wanting to naturalize, is not sometime we normally see.

Last edited by Rete; Jul 5th 2019 at 1:55 pm.
Old Jul 5th 2019, 1:28 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I think there may be a reason we do not see it.
Old Jul 5th 2019, 1:51 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
I think there may be a reason we do not see it.
Because it isn’t possible? 😂
Old Jul 5th 2019, 5:55 pm
tht

Also, I kept my AR-11 address at my husbands parents house but we lived in different states over the years. Is that an issue?
Reading things like this indicate it can be an issue, before the online system was available I sent mine by Fedex so I would have proof of sending / delivery.

https://immigrationlawnj.com/ar-11-f...gration-rules/

At least you won't have missed any mail from them if it went to an address where someone you knew lived in. But if you were to not relocate to the UK and remained resident in the US while waiting to become a US Citizen you would still have to submit 5 years of addresses which would not match your records at USCIS and/or your tax returns (which would have had your address in the state you were living in on them), and as others have noted you are sworn in before you interview and basically
you are asked to confirm all the detail on the form in your interview so all the discrepancies are likely to come up.
Old Jul 7th 2019, 12:02 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Rete
IMHO, Yes. Simply stated if your husband obtains a UK spousal visa during your naturalization process and he moves to the UK, then it shows that you are no longer living in the US and have plans to be out of the country for a while.

If you are truly serious about naturalizing, then paid\\y the fee for a one time consultation with a qualified US immigration attorney. Write down all your questions before the consultation so you don't forget to ask sometime important. While the forum has many helpful people, a situation such as yours, someone who is no longer a resident of the US wanting to naturalize, is not sometime we normally see.
How are they to know he's left the country and has obtained UK residency? Through tax return filings or do they look into these things?

You are right though, I think I will call an immigration attorney to see what they advise. I understand the situation isn't ideal!
Old Jul 7th 2019, 12:04 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by tht
Reading things like this indicate it can be an issue, before the online system was available I sent mine by Fedex so I would have proof of sending / delivery.

https://immigrationlawnj.com/ar-11-f...gration-rules/

At least you won't have missed any mail from them if it went to an address where someone you knew lived in. But if you were to not relocate to the UK and remained resident in the US while waiting to become a US Citizen you would still have to submit 5 years of addresses which would not match your records at USCIS and/or your tax returns (which would have had your address in the state you were living in on them), and as others have noted you are sworn in before you interview and basically
you are asked to confirm all the detail on the form in your interview so all the discrepancies are likely to come up.
We living in quite a few addresses over the years so thought it made sense to keep the post for the Visa, and our bank stuff at his parents address. I know better now!
Old Jul 7th 2019, 2:57 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

How are they to know he's left the country and has obtained UK residency? Through tax return filings or do they look into these things?

You are right though, I think I will call an immigration attorney to see what they advise. I understand the situation isn't ideal!
If there is a misrepresentation on any of the forms, either when first filed or when you go for the interview and do not update the information, you can be stripped of your naturalization if discovered after the oath.

What about passport control? Another avenue of discovery.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.