Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

TN within the US for a visiting Canadian?

Wikiposts

TN within the US for a visiting Canadian?

Old Mar 28th 2002, 9:05 am
Gary Jones

Default TN within the US for a visiting Canadian?

I am a Canadian Citizen currently vacationing in the US. Can I apply for a TN visa
from within the US if I find an employer willing to sponsor me? I am concerned that
because I came in as a visitor, INS might not honour my letter of employment and
issue me a TN visa.

Am I required to leave the country with my letter of employment, go back to Canada
and then present my letter of employment at the US entry point in order to obtain a
TN visa? Can I be barred permanently from entering the USA if I show up from within
the USA to apply for my TN? Not sure what to do. Any help will be appreciated.

Old Mar 28th 2002, 9:35 am
Stuart Brook

Default Re: TN within the US for a visiting Canadian?

Gary Jones wrote:
    >
    > I am a Canadian Citizen currently vacationing in the US. Can I apply for a TN visa
    > from within the US if I find an employer willing to sponsor me? I am concerned that
    > because I came in as a visitor, INS might not honour my letter of employment and
    > issue me a TN visa.

While it is sometimes POSSIBLE to do a mail in ... that could take 7 weeks or more!
Far better to go to a PoE.

> Am I required to leave the country with my letter of employment, go back to Canada
    > and then present my letter of employment at the US entry point in order to obtain a
    > TN visa? Can I be barred permanently from entering the USA if I show up from within
    > the USA to apply for my TN? Not sure what to do. Any help will be appreciated.

Just go do a flagpole turn ... cross the border, get a cup of timmy's coffee and
return to the US, maybe collect some more clothes and stuff from home. While your
original visit to the US should not have been a job hunt, there's nothing wrong with
a job finding you!

Stuart