Timeline for naturalisation.

Old Dec 7th 2008, 5:04 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Timeline for naturalisation.

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Your UK one, of course... *UNLESS* you clear US immigration *in* the UK, in which case, you must use your US passport.

Ian
darnit, this stupid argument has finally dragged me in.

How does one 'leave' a country on their passport? They go through passport control and have it stamped, right? Do we do that in the US? NO.
Do they do that in the UK? Not that I remember.

However, you must show your passport to the airline at check in so they know that you have proper entry permission for the destination country.

In what way would one 'leave' the UK on their UK passport and why? And if those flight manifests are transmitted to the US before you get here, wouldn't you want your US passport details there?
Old Dec 7th 2008, 6:35 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
However, you must show your passport to the airline at check in so they know that you have proper entry permission for the destination country.
Since the airline doesn't ask whether or not you are a USC, all they care about is whether or not you have a valid passport. They don't care what country issued it.

In what way would one 'leave' the UK on their UK passport and why?
It's coming... it's not there yet, but it's coming - for the US also, I'll warrant.

And if those flight manifests are transmitted to the US before you get here, wouldn't you want your US passport details there?
No... why should you? The US doesn't care what passport you used to get on an airplane (unless you clear US immigration prior to boarding). If you don't encounter US immigration prior to boarding, then the flight manifest is irrelevant for immigration purposes.

Ian

Last edited by ian-mstm; Dec 7th 2008 at 6:39 pm.
Old Dec 7th 2008, 7:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Norri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond repute

Since the airline doesn't ask whether or not you are a USC, all they care about is whether or not you have a valid passport. They don't care what country issued it.

Ian
They do care, if the passport is from a country that requires a visa to enter the US they will want to see the visa before allowing you to travel.

Wouldn't be relevant to the UK/US passport discussion though
Old Dec 7th 2008, 8:52 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

No... why should you? The US doesn't care what passport you used to get on an airplane (unless you clear US immigration prior to boarding). If you don't encounter US immigration prior to boarding, then the flight manifest is irrelevant for immigration purposes.

Ian
That's the crux of my question.. if there IS no exit passport control, exactly "how" is one exiting the US or UK "on" a passport at all? Either the airline is doing that job for the gov or it is not. It seems no one knows.
Old Dec 8th 2008, 8:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

I left London Heathrow Terminal 3 at the end of last month (Nov 08) and they (immigration) we doing VISUAL exit passport checks on everyone. In the past, I have seen a few very random checks done there.

I thought that I'd have a bit of fun...I left on my Australian passport. The officer had a flick through said fine, and handed it back to me. The thing is, I haven't entered the UK on that PP for five years, as I now also have a UK one.
Old Jan 7th 2009, 6:35 pm
Forum Regular

Scorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of light

Update...

Dec 15 2007: Sent N400
Dec 17 2007: USPS notice of receipt
Jan 12 2008: Receipt notice, "expect notice of interview within 90 days"
Mar 13 2008: Appointment for fingerprinting
Jan 7 2009: Fought my way through the USCIS customer "service" menu to try to find out wtf is going on. Now expecting a status report from San Antonio within the next month.

Bugger.
Old Jan 7th 2009, 7:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Marmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scorchio
Update...

Jan 7 2009: Fought my way through the USCIS customer "service" menu to try to find out wtf is going on. Now expecting a status report from San Antonio within the next month.

Bugger.
That's definitely a long time to wait. Hope you get word about your interview very soon
Old Jan 7th 2009, 8:15 pm

Originally Posted by Scorchio
Update...

Bugger.
Rats, that is a long wait.

If it is at all possible for you to InfoPass and go in in person, you could ask if your security checks have cleared. They can't schedule the interview until all the name checks are back.
Old Jan 7th 2009, 9:13 pm
Forum Regular

Scorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by meauxna
If it is at all possible for you to InfoPass and go in in person, you could ask if your security checks have cleared. They can't schedule the interview until all the name checks are back.
Interesting. I hadn't heard of that. Thanks!

I'll see what comes of this information request. Maybe it's because I have a common name, the background checks just really are taking that long. I'd be happier if the system recognized my receipt number, though.
Old Jan 15th 2009, 4:57 pm
I can't Re-Member

HighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by raaz74
Mailed N-400 - August 30th, 08 to VSC
N-400 Rec'd - September 8th, 08 (because of long weekend)
Check cashed - September 10th, 08
Received NOA (I-797C) on September 17,2008
Received NOA (I-797C) on September 26, 2008 for Finger prints
Finger prints schedual on October 8th, 2008
Recieved a letter for an interview today: Dec 04, 2007
Interview date/Test date : January 14, 2009

I don't know if it will be same date for oath but letter says the whole process will take 2 hours.

Any advise for the test or interview??

Thank you,
Raaz

Hi Raaz. How did it go?
I still haven't received an interview date letter! So much for the note telling I would be notified within 90 days...that was in September and no signs yet. I am hoping a letter hasn't been sent and just not reached me. We received some strangers mail over Christmas, so it makes me wonder if my letter may have gone somewhere else by mistake.

Anyway, give us an update when you get a chance.

Sue
Old Jan 15th 2009, 6:29 pm
Just Joined

dnmartin98 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello all,

Just joined the forum officially, though have been lurking here for a while. This afternoon I am heading to the post office to mail my N-400 form. I'll keep you all posted as everyone else is doing.

Mailed N-400 - 15th January 09 - TSC
N-400 Rec'd -
Check cashed -
Notice of Action -
FP Appointment -
Interview date -
Oath Ceremony -

Here goes!

DavidM
Old Jan 15th 2009, 7:02 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dnmartin98
Just joined the forum officially, though have been lurking here for a while.
Hi David... welcome to BE. Good luck with the N-400.

Ian
Old Jan 15th 2009, 7:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Marmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond repute

Hello all,

Just joined the forum officially, though have been lurking here for a while. This afternoon I am heading to the post office to mail my N-400 form. I'll keep you all posted as everyone else is doing.

N-400 Rec'd -
Check cashed -
Notice of Action -
FP Appointment -
Interview date -
Oath Ceremony -

Here goes!

DavidM
Hi David, and welcome from me too! Hopefully you'll be at that oath ceremony before you know it. Mine's only took 4 months from beginning to end. Good luck with yours

HSG - still have my fingers crossed you get your appointment very, very soon
Old Jan 16th 2009, 11:35 am
I can't Re-Member

HighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond repute

Hello all,

N-400 Rec'd -
Check cashed -
Notice of Action -
FP Appointment -
Interview date -
Oath Ceremony -

Here goes!

DavidM
Hi David.
Welcome to the board and also to the citizenship process!
I thought mine would go really fast, just like Marmalade but apparently it's not going as fast as I hoped....! What can you do though, except sit and wait. That's what I keep telling my (impatient) self.

Thanks for the thoughts Marmalade. I am more worried that they may have mailed a letter that never reached me. I have no way of knowing though because they won't check your status unless it's outside normal processing times, ( whatever that may be). The website is useless really, there has been no update on there for months.
So, I sit and wait...
Old Jan 16th 2009, 4:37 pm

Would you guys like this thread split and a new one started? This one is a year and a half old and 19 pages on my counter. Is that too much for new folk starting out to wade through?
Let me know what you think.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.