Time for Visa & How To Do It!?

Old Apr 20th 2022, 8:48 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Time for Visa & How To Do It!?

Originally Posted by CFoster26
It doesn’t have to be there no, just liked the state. Would it not piss people off though if you went to someone and got the visa / green card and then once you had it left to go somewhere else after they paid that money! How long would you need to stay before it deemed acceptable to move on?
Most companies will have a clause in your contract that if you leave within x amount of time you have to pay the money back. So it will depend on that, my husband's company it's 2 years I think - if you leave within 2 years of getting a green card you have to pay them back on a sliding scale.

It could take you 3+ years to get a green card though, so you may find by that time you're settled and like the state you're in, and no longer want to move to NC.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Apr 20th 2022 at 8:53 am.
Old Apr 20th 2022, 8:52 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

With the business option, how would that work, I wouldn’t be able to open a funeral directors in the US as many of them include crematoriums and we don’t have the money for that? Could it be any business? Or does it have to be linked to the existing one in the UK?
OK, so doesn't sound like a L1 (mentioned above, if you set up a US branch, must be the same business as in the UK) would be feasible then. You could look at E-2 visa (which is for buying an existing business), but there's no direct route to a green card with that, and I've no idea how much a funeral business would be selling for. If they're too expensive, you could look at other businesses, but it's not a great visa to be on especially if you have children.

I'd suggest you invest some money in a consultation with an immigration lawyer to see if any of the business visas are possible.

Either that or (sorry to be blunt) give up on the US idea and look at other countries you could move to.
Old Apr 20th 2022, 10:35 am
Forum Regular

CFoster26 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
OK, so doesn't sound like a L1 (mentioned above, if you set up a US branch, must be the same business as in the UK) would be feasible then. You could look at E-2 visa (which is for buying an existing business), but there's no direct route to a green card with that, and I've no idea how much a funeral business would be selling for. If they're too expensive, you could look at other businesses, but it's not a great visa to be on especially if you have children.

I'd suggest you invest some money in a consultation with an immigration lawyer to see if any of the business visas are possible.

Either that or (sorry to be blunt) give up on the US idea and look at other countries you could move to.
I’ve emailed service corporation international who hold many branches or funeral directors and funeral related businesses in the US. They are also the people who created Dignity in the UK. Maybe they would be our best chance for a work visa if they cover the whole of the country and have branches in many states?
Old Apr 20th 2022, 12:38 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you, I have emailed them and asked the question! It’s so hard! How has anyone ever moved without a family link or a job that has been transferred from UK! I seemed impossible and is very disheartening!
For most people it is impossible, especially if you are already well down your career path, and the family route is not available to you. ... Most of us here BE/USA are here either because of family (mostly spouse), or work transfer (L-1 visa, at least initially). I doubt that more than 20% were hired directly or made their own way here.

Further to my post yesterday, needing a license would make buying/ opening a branch much more difficult - and would probably mean finding an owner wishing to sell and retire but willing to stay on for a year or two while you obtained your licenses. And therefore I would repeat my advice to cast your nets far wider than your preferred destination.

Last edited by Pulaski; Apr 20th 2022 at 12:48 pm.
Old Apr 20th 2022, 12:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

robtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond repute

I’ve emailed service corporation international who hold many branches or funeral directors and funeral related businesses in the US. They are also the people who created Dignity in the UK. Maybe they would be our best chance for a work visa if they cover the whole of the country and have branches in many states?
If they have a UK presence, an option would be to work for them for a year with a view to getting the L1 Visa to transfer to their USA business (I assume you'd be a good fit for Managerial level roles given experience running your own business?).
Old Apr 20th 2022, 12:44 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pulaski
For most people it is impossible, especially if you are already well down your career path, and the family route is not available to you. ... Most of us here BE/USA are here either because of family (mostly spouse), or work transfer. I doubt that more than 20% were hired directly or made their own way here.

Further to my post yesterday, needing a license would make buying/ opening a branch much more difficult - and would probably mean finding an owner wishing to sell and retire but willing to stay on for a year or two while you obtained your licenses. And therefore I would repeat my advice to cast your nets far wider than your preferred destination.

Thanks,
I’ve cast my net wider and like I say am going to contact Service corporation international which have over 1500 funeral homes in the US. They also have the UK group dignity under their umbrella. They might be able to help me further. Failing that I would look at our own business but one of the reasons we wanted to move would be to remove the stress off running our own business !
Old Apr 20th 2022, 12:46 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by robtuck
If they have a UK presence, an option would be to work for them for a year with a view to getting the L1 Visa to transfer to their USA business (I assume you'd be a good fit for Managerial level roles given experience running your own business?).
I suppose it would be but I need to see if they actually do transfer between as the company’s as they have many different companies that all fall under SCI. Dignity is just one of them!
Old Apr 20th 2022, 1:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

postbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond repute

I suppose it would be but I need to see if they actually do transfer between as the company’s as they have many different companies that all fall under SCI. Dignity is just one of them!
It's usually a different legal entity one each side, but they have to have a group/ownership structure that they are related. For example, my employer in the UK was <company> UK Ltd and my employer in the US is <company> Services Group Inc who have a shared parent company (several times up, there is approx 300 legal entities worldwide, it's a very large multinational). On my L1 petition, this is shown with many many pages.
Old Apr 20th 2022, 1:58 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
See post no. 14 above, that was mentioned, so he's not prepared to sponsor your visa which means that's a non starter. He would only consider employing you if you have already obtained a visa, but you can't do that without a job offer (unless you happen to have a close US citizen relative or another half a million quid or so that you've not mentioned). It might be worth going back to him and explaining that you can't get a visa without employer sponsorship, just in case, but I'd expect the conversation to end there tbh.

Does it have to be NC, is there a family connection there or similar? Looking at the link given to you in post no. 8 it seems other states might be more likely, such as Colorado where licensing isn't compulsory.

And does it have to be the US, other countries might be more feasible maybe?
Hmmm. I made but one post (#8 above)and provided the link to the Occupational Outlook Handbook. It seems that OP either couldn’t be bothered to read it or didn’t understand it. FWIW, USCIS relies on the OOH and related publications such as DOT and ONET.

Old Apr 20th 2022, 1:59 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
Hmmm. I made but one post (#8 above)and provided the link to the Occupational Outlook Handbook. It seems that OP either couldn’t be bothered to read it or didn’t understand it. FWIW, USCIS relies on the OOH and related publications such as DOT and ONET.
didnt understand it. Every time I clicked on something nothing happened. I couldn’t see funeral director on there and I have no idea what your other abbreviations are!
Old Apr 20th 2022, 2:25 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

didnt understand it. Every time I clicked on something nothing happened. I couldn’t see funeral director on there and I have no idea what your other abbreviations are!
I just checked the link and it woks fine on my I-Pad. Try Googling Bureau Of Labor Statistics and Occupational Outlook Handbook. If you want, the OOH is available in both paperback and hardbound.

The Dictionary of Occupational Titles was last updated in 1991 and has been superseded by ONET.

The BLS publications go back to the 1940’s.
Old Apr 21st 2022, 2:36 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Please Note: We ask that all posts in BE’s Immigration Forums are kept on topic. Off topic posts will be removed. Any further comments should be made via PM. Thank you.

Forum Usage Guidelines - READ BEFORE POSTING!