Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Time between DS230 and an interview?

Wikiposts

Time between DS230 and an interview?

Old Aug 19th 2011, 6:45 am
Just Joined

Fastfred is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Time between DS230 and an interview?

Hi folks,

I am a US citizen who petitioned for my over 21 year old unmarried son to move here on an I130 visa. Priority date was October 2006. The DS 230 was sent with all required documentation in early February 2011 as requested.

If you have had a similar experience, then how long is the wait after sending DS 230 until an interview at London Embassy?

Any indication would be appreciated.

Thanks .. Fred
Old Aug 19th 2011, 6:54 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Time between DS230 and an interview?

Originally Posted by Fastfred
Hi folks,

I am a US citizen who petitioned for my over 21 year old unmarried son to move here on an I130 visa. Priority date was October 2006. The DS 230 was sent with all required documentation in early February 2011 as requested.

If you have had a similar experience, then how long is the wait after sending DS 230 until an interview at London Embassy?

Thanks .. Fred
Actually, it's an Immigrant Visa (not an I-130 visa). The I-130 was just the petition phase, not the visa.

Did NVC instruct you to send in all original civil documents as well? Did NVC instruct you to send in the I-864 affidavit of support?

If the priority date is current, there should only be a couple of months from when NVC completes their steps to getting an appointment in London.

I take it your son doesn't have an LDN number yet in order to book his medical?

You might want to call NVC to see what the hold up is. If you haven't heard from NVC or London for 6 months, I'd say it's a little out of the norm.

Rene
Old Aug 19th 2011, 6:54 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.travel.state.gov/visa/bul...etin_5518.html

Your son still needs a visa number to be available. His category currently (and for Sept) shows May04. Perhaps his category slipped back some time this year.
Old Aug 19th 2011, 7:39 am
Just Joined

Fastfred is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the swift replies. Yes, we do have an LND number and I 864 has been completed as requested. They have everything and are waiting for a visa to appear, in a queue, they told us at the NVC.

He even had his medical 7 months ago, this only lasts for 12 months so it may have to be done again. I do know that they suggest the medical isn't done until an interview has been arranged. We were informed that it speeds things up if you have it done ahead of time.

If they are currently working on the May 04 priority dates, this means that he may have to wait quite some time yet.

Anyone actually been through a similar situation recently?

Thanks in advance for any input, greatly appreciated. Fred
Old Aug 19th 2011, 7:44 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Hi folks,

Thanks .. Fred
I have no idea. DOS has posted an excellent page here. This page has a link to an explanation of the system and also history of cut-off dates.

As a general rule, NVC requests the forms when they estimate a beneficiary is within a year of issuance. Remember that these are estimates. The actual cutoffs are determined by how many are actually fully "documentarily qualified." The FB-1 got into January 2006 last fall. It then retrogressed to January 2005, and then to May 2004.

In making their estimates, VO tries to anticipate how many people will actually follow the instructions. Sometimes, they advance the date to see who shows up. Other times, they guess wrong.

Also, I think the lingering effects of the 2001 "245(i)" filings still exist. Many people who obtained their visas filed FB-2A/B petitions, and then naturalized which then converted the FB-2B's to FB-1's.

Bottom line -- again -- no idea.
Old Aug 19th 2011, 7:52 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone actually been through a similar situation recently?
If you want to see the retrogression from Hell -- take a gander at the employment side of the shop and especially World Wide EB-3 in 2007. Yes, it advanced rapidly to where the visa bulletin said would become current in July. EVERYBODY raced to get their adjustment applications in at the beginning of the month -- which was too late. USCIS worked overtime to overload Visa Office. That was one big FUBAR.

Count your self lucky.