Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Thoughts on H1b visa delay issuance?

Thoughts on H1b visa delay issuance?

Old Jun 20th 2009, 11:24 pm
Just Joined

medici786 has much to be proud ofmedici786 has much to be proud ofmedici786 has much to be proud ofmedici786 has much to be proud ofmedici786 has much to be proud ofmedici786 has much to be proud ofmedici786 has much to be proud ofmedici786 has much to be proud ofmedici786 has much to be proud ofmedici786 has much to be proud ofmedici786 has much to be proud of
Default Thoughts on H1b visa delay issuance?

Hi folks

Appreciate thoughts on this.

Got an H1b visa, (cap exempt).

Went for Interview to Dublin with my wife and 2 kids (London at that point had a 40d wait for visa interview)

The visa dude approved the visa but said it would take weeks! People seem to be getting the visa much quicker than that, so whats the delay? we were given our passports back to allow us to fly to the UK and told we would be contacted. It has been 2 weeks now and no word.

I am quite annoyed about this as I need to start in July.

Anybody had similar problems?

Thanks

Last edited by medici786; Jun 21st 2009 at 12:26 am.
Old Jun 20th 2009, 11:40 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thoughts on H1b visa delay issuance?

Originally Posted by medici786 View Post
Someone suggested it is because of my name and religious profiling issues.
Having a name like Osama Bin Laden may well set you back a bit
Old Jun 21st 2009, 12:04 am
Just Joined

medici786 has much to be proud ofmedici786 has much to be proud ofmedici786 has much to be proud ofmedici786 has much to be proud ofmedici786 has much to be proud ofmedici786 has much to be proud ofmedici786 has much to be proud ofmedici786 has much to be proud ofmedici786 has much to be proud ofmedici786 has much to be proud ofmedici786 has much to be proud of

Buddy

Thats not necessary.
Old Jun 21st 2009, 12:09 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Someone suggested it is because of my name and religious profiling issues.
If you are originally from or have ties to one of the T countries, you'll have additional administrative processing, fact of life.
There is no time scale for it, and no way to expedite it. If you have applied outside of your home consulate (residence) you may be delayed further.

Sorry, but there is no answer, and Ray's wasn't far out.
Old Jun 21st 2009, 12:18 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I need to start in July.
What happens if you don't start in July?

Ian
Old Jun 25th 2009, 9:11 pm
Have Visa will travel SFO

rwoodfine is a jewel in the roughrwoodfine is a jewel in the roughrwoodfine is a jewel in the roughrwoodfine is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by ian-mstm View Post
What happens if you don't start in July?

Ian
I thought you couldnt start until some period prior to the financial year anyway?
Old Jun 25th 2009, 9:32 pm
Forum Regular

malj has a spectacular aura aboutmalj has a spectacular aura aboutmalj has a spectacular aura about

I thought you can't start until Oct 1 anyway? I believe the start dates are different if you already have an H1B visa or am I missing something here...
Old Jun 25th 2009, 9:53 pm
Just Joined

I'm a medic, so I think because I fall under H1b cap exemption, its slightly different as regards when you can start.

Anyways for anybody stuck under security clearance the following may help:

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/FBI_Name_Check

http://murthyforum.atinfopop.com/4/O...772108581&p=57

Theoretically can affect anyone but in practice usually tends to mostly affect indo pakistani people with Arabicised names (but may also be reflective of the fact that they take up most of the H1b visas).

All in all a very unsatisfactory process!
Old Jun 25th 2009, 10:03 pm
Forum Regular

malj has a spectacular aura aboutmalj has a spectacular aura aboutmalj has a spectacular aura about

usually tends to mostly affect indo pakistani people with Arabicised names
Correct. Also, there are approximately 1 million names now on the FBI watch list. The effect of this is, it increases the chances of one having the same name, or part thereof of someone listed on this FBI list. This would increase the security clearance and waiting period significantly.
Old Jun 25th 2009, 10:11 pm
Just Joined

Yep, and before anybody starts waxing lyrical about the rights of religious/ethnic profiling.....tomorrow it could be you
Old Jun 25th 2009, 11:00 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, and before anybody starts waxing lyrical about the rights of religious/ethnic profiling.....tomorrow it could be you
Consider it the cost of doing business in a "post 9/11" US.

Ian
Old Jun 26th 2009, 12:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a medic, so I think because I fall under H1b cap exemption, its slightly different as regards when you can start.
Wel done on the position. So, gastro??