Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Thinking about returning my Green Card....

Thinking about returning my Green Card....

Old Jun 24th 2016, 4:59 pm
Forum Regular

monkeybrains is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Thinking about returning my Green Card....

Hi,
I have had a G/C from 1980 - 2007,2007 was the last time I was in the U.S.
I would imagine it is now deemed abandoned....however,I have not yet officially turned it in to the U.S Embassy in London.

I would like to visit the U.S,dont think I will ever be living there again,so I only want to visit.I have 2 kids (U.S citizens over the age of 18) who currently live in the UK.

Would the best way for me to visit the U.S be for me to return the G/C and just visit the U.S with the ESTA visa...or is there another visa available that may be more appropriate based on my two kids U.S citizenship ?

Thank you.
Old Jun 24th 2016, 5:07 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thinking about returning my Green Card....

Originally Posted by monkeybrains
I have not yet officially turned it in to the U.S Embassy in London.
If you want to formally abandon your status, complete form I-407 and submit it. Once that's done, you can use ESTA/VWP to visit the US. If, at some point in the future, you change your mind about returning to the US to live, then once your USC children reach age 21, they can submit an I-130 petition and sponsor you for an immigrant visa.

Ian
Old Jun 24th 2016, 5:11 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Ian,
But are there any other options?....someone mentioned to me that I should go for the B2....why I dont know.

Last edited by monkeybrains; Jun 24th 2016 at 5:40 pm.
Old Jun 24th 2016, 10:40 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Only two reasons I can come up with are:

1. You want to spend more than 90 days at one time in the US; or

2. They feel you are ineligible to use the VWP.

The only appropriate visa based on your USC children would be for them to sponsor you for a LPR visa.
Old Jun 25th 2016, 11:35 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Rete
Only two reasons I can come up with are:

1. You want to spend more than 90 days at one time in the US; or

2. They feel you are ineligible to use the VWP.

The only appropriate visa based on your USC children would be for them to sponsor you for a LPR visa.

The situation is this.
I was married to my American wife for 30 years,in 2008 while we were in the UK she told me that she wanted a divorce,I had recently bought a beach front property in the UK(she had been living in the house for 4 months)she moved out and started divorce proceedings,she then moved in with a man she had been having an affair with,she requested that I sell the property immediately so that she could receive 1/2 of any profits,my lawyer told me that if I was able to take any photos of her and the new guy together we may be able to get the divorce judge to get her 50/50 % request of the house sale reduced to a lower amount.One day while shopping I saw her and the guy,I went to my car and waited for them to exit,at a distance of about 100 yds I took about 6 pics of them together,the guy saw me and approached me,we got into a slagging match,my wife called the cops,I was arrested and charged with harassment,went to magistrates court,advised by my lawyer to plead not guilty,after an all day hearing I was found guilty and sentenced to 100 hours of community work,so there you go,I have an harassment charge against me.
Old Jun 25th 2016, 12:09 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

But are there any other options?
Options for what? Visiting the US? There's ESTA/VWP or a B-2 visa. If you're eligible for the VWP you're unlikely to get a B-2.

... someone mentioned to me that I should go for the B2....why I dont know.
I don't know either - because the application is likely to fail.

I have an harassment charge against me.
I doubt this is a CIMT and therefore doesn't stop you from using the VWP.

That all said, I've got to wonder why you didn't naturalize as a USC when you had the opportunity many years ago!

Ian
Old Jun 25th 2016, 12:39 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Ian,
Yes,I sometimes sit and wonder why I didnt naturalize all those years ago.My mistake.
Old Jun 25th 2016, 12:40 pm
Forum Regular

Im now wondering what comes first.
Returning my G/C or applying for Esta.
I would imagine that the first thing would to be to return the G/C and then applyfor ESTA ??
Old Jun 25th 2016, 12:50 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

..... I have 2 kids (U.S citizens over the age of 18) who currently live in the UK. .....
Originally Posted by ian-mstm
..... If, at some point in the future, you change your mind about returning to the US to live, then once your USC children reach age 21, they can submit an I-130 petition and sponsor you for an immigrant visa. .....
Er, only if the sponsoring child has returned/is returning to live in the US themselves.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jun 25th 2016 at 2:07 pm.
Old Jun 25th 2016, 1:59 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Er, only if the sponsoring child has returned/is returning to live in the US themselves.
Ah... true enough!

Ian
Old Jun 25th 2016, 2:03 pm
Account Closed

Im now wondering what comes first.
Returning my G/C or applying for Esta.
First, submit the I-407 with your green card... then apply for ESTA. Why? Because so long as the US thinks you're a PR, you aren't really eligible to use ESTA.

Ian
Old Jun 25th 2016, 5:28 pm
Forum Regular

First, submit the I-407 with your green card... then apply for ESTA. Why? Because so long as the US thinks you're a PR, you aren't really eligible to use ESTA.

Ian
I am also currently working on applying for my U.S Social Security.
Would you wait until the SS is worked out before I turn in the GC or does it matter ?
Thank you.
Old Jun 25th 2016, 6:30 pm
Account Closed

Would you wait until the SS is worked out before I turn in the GC or does it matter?
It doesn't matter - it's irrelevant as far as US immigration is concerned.

Ian
Old Jun 25th 2016, 6:45 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

It doesn't matter - it's irrelevant as far as US immigration is concerned. .....
It's also irrelevant as far as the US Social Security Administration is concerned.
Old Jun 26th 2016, 3:11 pm
Forum Regular

Thank You Ian & Pulaski.
Appreciate your suggestions.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.