Thinking about moving to US?

Old Feb 4th 2014, 2:10 am
Just Joined

mussi89 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Thinking about moving to US?

Originally Posted by Noorah101

They can file an I-130 towards your Immigrant Visa, yes. Not GC. Like them, once you use your Immigrant Visa to enter the USA, you then become a US PR (i.e. you get a green card).

But do your parents WANT to live in the USA??

Rene
I just realised that my parent's won't be citizens just GC holders can they still apply for an I-130 for me?

They don't mind as they are both retired.
Old Feb 4th 2014, 2:11 am
Just Joined

mussi89 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by hotscot
Or are you going to do it through rendition?
Not at all.
Old Feb 4th 2014, 4:36 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mussi89
I just realised that my parent's won't be citizens just GC holders can they still apply for an I-130 for me?

Yes
Old Feb 4th 2014, 6:46 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

'They don't mind'?! Do they actually want to go and live in the US for a few years, plus go through all the hassle and cost of the visa app and moving there, just so that you can get a visa a bit quicker?

Seems a lot to ask them to do unless they actually wish to move tbh, particularly as you'd still have quite a wait.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Feb 4th 2014 at 6:52 am.
Old Feb 4th 2014, 12:30 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, they can... and your wait for a visa will drop from 12-13 years down to about 8-9 years. Note though, that if you get married at any time, you can kiss that visa goodbye - because there are no visas available for married sons/daughters of permanent residents.

Of course, it's also possible for your sister to petition for you now, and if/when your parents become PR's they can also petition for you. It's perfectly okay to have two (or more) petitions in place at the same time. If you do marry, it won't affect the sister's petition, but it will pretty much negate the parents' petition.

If you want to do some light reading, try this.

Ian
Old Feb 5th 2014, 4:16 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

A little background, my sister is a US citizen and has been living there for a couple of years and I am over 21. I was on the USCIS site and found two ways to apply for a GC either while in the US (I-130) or applying outside the US (Consular Processing). I really don't understand the difference between the two.
It takes a lot longer than 12 years in fourth preference, based on the progression in the priority dates in the visa bulletin (at present) it would be something like 25 years but I reckon based on the CRS data it would be more like 40 years due to the quota. USCIS hasn't even bothered to approve any I-130 petitions for fourth preference since 2010, they know the State Dept. will take decades to come up with visa numbers.

So if your parents want to become LPRs and then US citizens and then sponsor you, that will be quicker. But still many years.

But really the only practical thing to do is to get the I-130 filed by your sibling and hope for immigration reform.
Old Feb 7th 2014, 5:57 pm
Forum Regular

Rose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond repute

Do they mind paying hundreds of thousands for their own health insurance so that you can go over? That's mighty generous of them.
Old Feb 7th 2014, 6:00 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Some people have supportive Parents.
Old Mar 4th 2014, 5:51 pm
Forum Regular

Rose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond repute

You're confusing supportive with wealthy. This is the kind of "support" most parents could never offer.