Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Is there requirement of how long have to stay in US to keep GC ?

Is there requirement of how long have to stay in US to keep GC ?

Old May 25th 2001, 6:49 am
Tony Lu

If I work/live in another country and come back to US every 3-4 month to stay 1 week.
will I run into trouble to keep my GC or natulization ?

Old May 25th 2001, 6:16 pm
Tankman

The residence (actual place of abode by INS definition) must be maintained within
the United States with rare exceptions (US military, Government service abroad
Etc.) Upon application for entry to the U.S. the burden of proof is on the
applicant to prove residency is maintained in the U.S. INS can and has deferred
inspections for the applicant to present proof that he/she actually resides in the
U.S. (lease, phone bills, utility bills, store receipts, Etc.) If you claim you
work in the U.S. your social security account will prove otherwise. If you show an
income, but it is not reported to Social Security, IRS gets their interest peeked.
If they suspect an abandoned of US residency. The can also conduct a full search at
the port of entry without probable cause ( the level is mere suspicion) or the need
for a warrant. If would be very difficult to prove you work abroad and live in the
U.S. Many people think they just have to make an occasional trip to the U.S. to
"renew" the green card. This is false and endangers the resident status. If you
live and work in another country and spend 1 week out of 3-4 months, what you are
doing falls within the scope of a a tourist or business visa. You might make a few
trips with no questions, but much like Russian Roulette, eventually you will hit on
the full cylinder.

Tony Lu wrote:

>
    >

--

Tracers work both ways.

Stop by for a visit http://home.earthlink.net/~tankman or http://clix.to/Tankman451

ICQ# 108191321