Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

There Must Be A Way??? Please Help

Wikiposts

There Must Be A Way??? Please Help

Old Jun 18th 2004, 11:40 am
Just Joined

Wild_At_Heart is an unknown quantity at this point
Default There Must Be A Way??? Please Help

I am feeling somewhat daunted.... :-(

Basically... I am wanting to make a new life for myself in the USA (my bestest friend in the world is there - she is American). I am a woman of 38, separated and presently working as a secretary for a company which does have "sister" companies abroad, including the USA. But having recently looked at various websites and heard different stories.. I am at a complete loss as to how to even start with this!! All the visa information confuses me in that I just don't know the best way I should apply... or what I need to do.

Unfortunately I have financial ties, so need to work. I've heard something about company sponsorship mentioned.. but would that be available to someone like me... i.e. a little ol' secretary?? :-(

Any advice would be huuuuuuuugely appreciated. Please help me....?
Old Jun 18th 2004, 1:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

LucyMO has a spectacular aura aboutLucyMO has a spectacular aura aboutLucyMO has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: There Must Be A Way??? Please Help

probably not. The company has to prove that they cannot find an American worker to fill your position, because of some specific knowledge that you have. I do not presume that you don't have a degree, but H1 visas require degrees. Administrative assistant is simply not a profession that would warrant getting a work visa. Perhaps, somebody may have a different opinion on it.

I would advise you to read www.uscis.gov website.

Perhaps, an intracompany transferee visa may be somewhat suitable, however, I know nothing of the conditions it carries.

You may want to try to get married to a U.S.citizen or play the lottery.
Old Jun 18th 2004, 1:52 pm
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by LucyMO
probably not. The company has to prove that they cannot find an American worker to fill your position, because of some specific knowledge that you have. I do not presume that you don't have a degree, but H1 visas require degrees. Administrative assistant is simply not a profession that would warrant getting a work visa. Perhaps, somebody may have a different opinion on it.

Perhaps, an intracompany transferee visa may be somewhat suitable, however, I know nothing of the conditions it carries.

Intercompany transferees have to be professionals, or they must be resposible for the management of professionals. Therefore, it would be pretty tough for a secretary to get an L1.
Old Jun 18th 2004, 5:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

cathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nice

Originally posted by LucyMO

UK is not eligible for the lottery. Not sure which country you are from, but you appear British? I moved to the US as a newly divorced single parent and managed it by credential evaluation (qualifications and experience) and a wonderful friend in the US who worked with the lawyer and employer with me.

My advice would be to have a long look at EVERYTHING you have and weigh it all up and see where you can go with what you have got.

If you need any more help or anything, just get in touch again!
Old Jun 19th 2004, 2:14 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Wild_At_Heart
Any advice would be huuuuuuuugely appreciated. Please help me....?
Get the divorce done ..come over on an extended holiday ...meet a man.. get married... your here.. just like that ...
Old Jun 29th 2004, 12:04 am
Just Joined

Wild_At_Heart is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by cathy22w
UK is not eligible for the lottery. Not sure which country you are from, but you appear British? I moved to the US as a newly divorced single parent and managed it by credential evaluation (qualifications and experience) and a wonderful friend in the US who worked with the lawyer and employer with me.

My advice would be to have a long look at EVERYTHING you have and weigh it all up and see where you can go with what you have got.

If you need any more help or anything, just get in touch again!

Hello Cathy!

Thank you so much for responding to my query.

Would love to find out more on your UK to US story.... Might give me some hope of one day fulfulling my dream (sighs). Just nice also to hear a "success" story.... particularly from a lady who didn't have the luxury of a husband holding her hand along the way!

Very much look forward to hearing back from you.

Kindest regards