Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Is there a limit on how many times you can visit the US in a year?

Wikiposts

Is there a limit on how many times you can visit the US in a year?

Old Oct 5th 2009, 4:57 am
Forum Regular

Helen23 is just really niceHelen23 is just really niceHelen23 is just really niceHelen23 is just really niceHelen23 is just really niceHelen23 is just really niceHelen23 is just really niceHelen23 is just really nice
Unhappy Is there a limit on how many times you can visit the US in a year?

Hi

I've heard recently that is a limit on how many times you can visit the US in a year, does anybody know the limit for a british citizen?
This is key for me as I worked in Indiana for a year til july 09 and have just returned for 80days (sept 09-dec 09) to be with my american boyfriend, whilst I had a cultural exchange J1 visa for my year, im currently here without a visa and had no trouble gettin in for 80days. I desperate for any advice as I want to marry my boyfriend eventually but I'm not ready to apply for the fiancee visa yet and would prefer more time but after hearing ther is now a limit I'm confused on how to get this!
HELP!

Thanks
Old Oct 5th 2009, 5:01 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is there a limit on how many times you can visit the US in a year?

Originally Posted by Helen23
Hi

I've heard recently that is a limit on how many times you can visit the US in a year, does anybody know the limit for a british citizen?
This is key for me as I worked in Indiana for a year til july 09 and have just returned for 80days (sept 09-dec 09) to be with my american boyfriend, whilst I had a cultural exchange J1 visa for my year, im currently here without a visa and had no trouble gettin in for 80days. I desperate for any advice as I want to marry my boyfriend eventually but I'm not ready to apply for the fiancee visa yet and would prefer more time but after hearing ther is now a limit I'm confused on how to get this!
HELP!

Thanks
Hi Helen, Welcome to BE.

There is no limit to the number of times you are allowed to visit the USA on the VWP.

However, keep in mind that you are expected to spend more time outside the USA than inside. The general rule of thumb is to spend at least as much time outside the USA as you were just inside...for example, you are currently in the USA for 80 days, right? So make sure you spend 80+ days outside the USA before attempting to return on another VWP visit.

As a side question, do you have the 2-year home residency requirement on the J-1 you held? If so, take note that any time you spend inside the USA does not count towards the fulfillment of the 2 years inside your home country.

Rene
Old Oct 5th 2009, 5:44 am
Forum Regular

Helen23 is just really niceHelen23 is just really niceHelen23 is just really niceHelen23 is just really niceHelen23 is just really niceHelen23 is just really niceHelen23 is just really niceHelen23 is just really nice

Thanks for your quick reply, how do I know if my visa has a 2yr home requirement?
Old Oct 5th 2009, 6:09 am
Passport Collector

dreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond repute

There may be an annotation on the visa stamped in your passport - check that first.

Thanks for your quick reply, how do I know if my visa has a 2yr home requirement?
Old Oct 5th 2009, 1:11 pm
Forum Regular

So Im 99% sure my previous visa doesnt require me to reside bk in UK for 2yrs but I dont want to be seperated from my boyfriend for 3 months is ther any other way around this? like a 6 month tourist visa or should I just wait out 3months and the apply for a second VWP?

Thanks!
Old Oct 5th 2009, 1:39 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dreamercon
There may be an annotation on the visa stamped in your passport - check that first.
Can't it be waived:
http://ukinusa.fco.gov.uk/en/help-fo...in-usa/j1-visa
Old Oct 5th 2009, 2:37 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

So Im 99% sure my previous visa doesnt require me to reside bk in UK for 2yrs but I dont want to be seperated from my boyfriend for 3 months is ther any other way around this? like a 6 month tourist visa or should I just wait out 3months and the apply for a second VWP?

Thanks!
B tourist visas are hard to get if you otherwise qualify for the VWP. The VWP cannot be extended. Your best course of action is to spend 88 days in the USA, then 88+ days outside the USA. But don't repeat that pattern too often, either...eventually you get turned away at the POE.

During the times you're not visiting him, he can visit you, until you are ready to marry.

Rene
Old Oct 5th 2009, 10:56 pm
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

Everyone's limit is different. You'll know when you reach your limit when they deny entry to you and put you back on a plane to the UK.

The VWP is for visitors. It's not for people to cohabitate with a significant other for a try-out. I suggest that you limit the visits, and spread them out or you may have a big problem.

How are you supporting this lifestyle?
Old Oct 6th 2009, 5:28 am
N99sea

naomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond repute

Helen, I was in a similar situation to yours (met my boyfriend (now husband) whilst on a J1 visa. Definitely be careful about how much time you spend in the U.S, and don't overstay. Would it be possible for your boyfriend to spend time with you in the U.K.? At the time my boyfriend was a student, and he came over to the U.K. for a few months on a student visa and was able to work. We ended up marrying in the U.K...and the rest is history.
Naomi.
Old Oct 11th 2009, 7:22 am
Just Joined

flower1975 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Naomi

I just wondered whether you are able to help or point me in the right direction? I noticed you mentioned that you and your husband were married in the UK. Did you then move back to the USA? if so were you and your husband seperated whilst the USA visa process was completed?

In my current situation my US fiance and I are trying to work out whether it is easier to marry in the UK and then go back to the US but we obviously want to limit the amount of time if any that we are separated to a minimum.

Thanks
Old Oct 11th 2009, 7:59 am

Originally Posted by flower1975
In my current situation my US fiance and I are trying to work out whether it is easier to marry in the UK and then go back to the US but we obviously want to limit the amount of time if any that we are separated to a minimum.

Thanks
All else being equal, it is easier to get married in the USA, because the UKC needs no special visa to do so. The USC needs to obtain a special visa in order to marry in the UK, but a UKC can get married in the USA while visiting on the VWP. So that makes it easier.

As for limiting the time apart....it doesn't matter where you get married. the time apart will be the same.

Rene