Thank you everyone!!!!

Old Oct 22nd 2019, 12:11 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thank you everyone!!!!

Originally Posted by tht

I have not been to update the SSA yet. But I am not sure why I would need a new card, I already did this once, I got a new one after I became a PR and it looks the same as my wife’s (who is a USC from birth) the first one received had the annotation that it was not valid for work authorization, but once I got my GC it was a regular one.
The purpose of updating SSA is that a citizen's death taxes are different than for a resident alien. You will ALWAYS HAVE THE SAME SS NUMBER. It is not a new number on the card, if one is reissued. It is the same number and you can save it in a safe place.
Old Oct 22nd 2019, 1:14 am
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
The purpose of updating SSA is that a citizen's death taxes are different than for a resident alien. You will ALWAYS HAVE THE SAME SS NUMBER. It is not a new number on the card, if one is reissued. It is the same number and you can save it in a safe place.
yes I get that the number stays the same in most circumstances, the only exception I know of is people in witness protection, but I assume there are other corner cases.

As far as I recall on the federal death tax there is a 100% exemption for my wife if she survives me anyway, and I think they raised the federal exemption for others somewhere over $11m in 2019. So I guess I can save the trip to the SSA till after I win powerball lol.
Old Oct 22nd 2019, 12:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

retzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond repute

She does not live in NYC. She lives in a river town in Westchester County which is why I mentioned Elmsford
Ah, inside information! I just saw "Manhattan" as her location. Still, relevant if she works in the city and plans to nip out during her lunch break.
Old Oct 22nd 2019, 5:56 pm
Wondering if...

celticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tht

I have not been to update the SSA yet. But I am not sure why I would need a new card, I already did this once, I got a new one after I became a PR and it looks the same as my wife’s (who is a USC from birth) the first one received had the annotation that it was not valid for work authorization, but once I got my GC it was a regular one.
You will probably need one because the computer says so. That's what happened with me. I turned up with all the paperwork, the change was done simply, then I was told I needed a new card. I asked why and was told so the annotation was removed. I whipped my existing card out of my pocket and asked "Like this one?". The lady looked puzzled and said the screen said I needed a new one so I was getting one, and off she went....only to return with news that the system was down and they couldn't produce a new card and would I be okay with them posting it to me later? I waved the existing one again and said no worries.

And yes, I got a 'replacement' in the post and it is identical to the other one.
Old Oct 22nd 2019, 7:01 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by celticgrid
You will probably need one because the computer says so. That's what happened with me. I turned up with all the paperwork, the change was done simply, then I was told I needed a new card. I asked why and was told so the annotation was removed. I whipped my existing card out of my pocket and asked "Like this one?". The lady looked puzzled and said the screen said I needed a new one so I was getting one, and off she went....only to return with news that the system was down and they couldn't produce a new card and would I be okay with them posting it to me later? I waved the existing one again and said no worries.

And yes, I got a 'replacement' in the post and it is identical to the other one.
when I went the second time after getting my GC I really confused the person there, I happend to go on my birthday and this really threw her off as she was looking at the same date twice with only a different year. I figured it out, told her it was my birthday, she looked relived and carried on.

I guess I will have to do it sometime... worst case I get a “spare” Social security card.
Old Oct 23rd 2019, 5:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by retzie
There is only one form: SS-5-FS. You use it to apply for a new card, replace an existing card, or change the information on your SS record. For reasons known only to the SSA, if you are just doing an update, they send you a new card anyway (which is exactly the same as the one I had on my green card, but with a different issue date). This is as of April 2019.
I did my post-naturalization update at the SSA office in Yonkers, Westchester Co., NY, and it was a lot less painful than I expected, I explained that I needed to record that I'm now a citizen and the clerk asked me if I actually wanted a new SS card or not and I said no This was October 2017 though.

Originally Posted by livinginnyc
2) I believe I have to tell my Bank too? (as it goes on file with credit.etc)
First I've heard about telling my bank though. Is that actually a thing?
Old Oct 24th 2019, 3:38 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rpjs
I did my post-naturalization update at the SSA office in Yonkers, Westchester Co., NY, and it was a lot less painful than I expected, I explained that I needed to record that I'm now a citizen and the clerk asked me if I actually wanted a new SS card or not and I said no This was October 2017 though.

Never heard of telling the Bank either. Hubby has never told ours and honestly, when applying for a new account, he was never asked his status in the US.
Old Oct 26th 2019, 4:54 pm
Sasstronaut

livinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rpjs
Never heard of telling the Bank either. Hubby has never told ours and honestly, when applying for a new account, he was never asked his status in the US.
So I've 'used' two bank of America branches as my main bank (as I've moved since living here).. When I first opened my B of A account, was within a week of getting here; applying for a credit card was... tough til I finally decided to go in and open one in a meeting, and the manager confirmed that it was due to the fact I hadn't 'told' them I was an LPR which had hurt previous applications. There was also a ton of out of date stuff, so we fixed that and boom - instant approval. That was over a year ago but he mentioned if I was serious on citizenship, to pop back in (when convenient) as its helpful for them to know citizen vs green card vs visa holder as it is counted towards calls on mortgage, credit and so on. When I first opened the account at the first bank, I was requested to show 'status' for eligability to open the account. My K-1 visa and UK passport was fine (as I had literally nothing else).

She does not live in NYC. She lives in a river town in Westchester County
Originally Posted by retzie
Ah, inside information! I just saw "Manhattan" as her location.
I live on the UWS, Manhattan (though I did live upstate till early 2017 so kudos for a good memory Rete!).

Re: SSA & cards, I'll go to the SSA (oh crap its going to be painful) in the next couple of weeks and report back if they issue a new card or not!