Wikiposts

Terrible mistake on my N-400

Old Jul 22nd 2006, 2:05 am
Banned

coffee or tea? is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Terrible mistake on my N-400

Not sure if this is in the right group or not, if it is'nt please direct me to the correct one.

My story, breifly.... been in the US for 32 years on a green card, and for some reason after never considering it before I felt the urge to become a citizen, after all these years.

So if fill out my application a few months back and send everything off and wait. Well a few days ago, my fourth wife and I were talking about my application and she bought up whether my previous arrests would stand in my way.

Well bugger me I had forgotten about them as they were so long ago and checked the box to say I had never been convivted of a crime.

23 years ago I was arrested for DUI and I also had a few speeding tickets speeding over the years, but none in the last 5 or so as I have quit driving. I had totally forgotten about the arrests and did'nt think that a speeding ticket so long ago would come up.

Since that converstion I have done some research and it looks like I might be in some bother, should I write a letter to the INS explaining my lapse of memory? I am having diffuclty sleeping as I am so worried about this, I wish I had never applied now. Do you think there is a possibility they could ship me back home where I have on one now and have not even visited in the last 15 years?

Please, any advise would be grately appriciated.
Old Jul 22nd 2006, 2:49 am
Forum Regular

TexasAlex is just really niceTexasAlex is just really niceTexasAlex is just really niceTexasAlex is just really niceTexasAlex is just really niceTexasAlex is just really niceTexasAlex is just really niceTexasAlex is just really nice
Default Re: Terrible mistake on my N-400

This is serious. Talk to a good immigration lawyer ASAP.
Old Jul 22nd 2006, 3:19 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Terrible mistake on my N-400

A repost of my reply to you in the USA forum:

You haven't done yourself in, old man ;-)

Take the court records with you and the DMV report if you can get one to the interview. Speeding tickets are not enough to deny you naturalizaiton. Not answering the question will raise an eyebrow but an honest explanation at the time of the interview should correct that problem.

If you can't get court or DMV records, try to the best of your recollection to give them the dates of the tickets and what the fines were.

Don't lose sleep over it.

Personally, I don't think you need an immigration attorney, however, if it would give you peace of mind, schedule a consultation with one.

Originally Posted by coffee or tea?
Not sure if this is in the right group or not, if it is'nt please direct me to the correct one.

My story, breifly.... been in the US for 32 years on a green card, and for some reason after never considering it before I felt the urge to become a citizen, after all these years.

So if fill out my application a few months back and send everything off and wait. Well a few days ago, my fourth wife and I were talking about my application and she bought up whether my previous arrests would stand in my way.

Well bugger me I had forgotten about them as they were so long ago and checked the box to say I had never been convivted of a crime.

23 years ago I was arrested for DUI and I also had a few speeding tickets speeding over the years, but none in the last 5 or so as I have quit driving. I had totally forgotten about the arrests and did'nt think that a speeding ticket so long ago would come up.

Since that converstion I have done some research and it looks like I might be in some bother, should I write a letter to the INS explaining my lapse of memory? I am having diffuclty sleeping as I am so worried about this, I wish I had never applied now. Do you think there is a possibility they could ship me back home where I have on one now and have not even visited in the last 15 years?

Please, any advise would be grately appriciated.