Temporary work - tour management

Old Nov 16th 2019, 11:48 am
Just Joined

pjar is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Temporary work - tour management

I am self-employed and work as a band tour manager in the UK and Europe... a US band who I’ve worked with has asked me to organise the US leg of their next tour and then onwards to Europe... I would be in US for about a month... their management company is based in Europe, so I would be paid by them... do I need a work permit, or can I do this on VWP regulations? Any advice gratefully received! Thanks.
Old Nov 16th 2019, 1:18 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Temporary work - tour management

It does not seem like something you can do on the VWP, but I'm not quite sure what visa applies here. Maybe look into an O-1. The band's management company would sponsor your visa, so you'd need to work it out with them

Rene
Old Nov 16th 2019, 2:09 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pjar
I am self-employed and work as a band tour manager in the UK and Europe... a US band who I’ve worked with has asked me to organise the US leg of their next tour and then onwards to Europe... I would be in US for about a month... their management company is based in Europe, so I would be paid by them... do I need a work permit, or can I do this on VWP regulations? Any advice gratefully received! Thanks.
Sounds as if it might fall under the essential support personnel category of the P-1 visa. The US management team should talk to their attorneys about how to sponsor your visit.
Old Nov 16th 2019, 5:27 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

You need to talk to the Management Company, down to them, however nothing comes to mind.
Old Nov 17th 2019, 2:05 am
Sasstronaut

livinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure if it's the same but a few (UK) friends I have, who do media work (specifically TV production) have worked here on a J visa. My understanding was that they were sponsored by the production company and had to leave within a certain time of the production wrap date (supplied again by the production company).

They were working temporary (for the duration of production) so it sounds kinda like this visa would work for you - but as others have said, you need to talk to the management company.

Hope this helps!
Old Nov 17th 2019, 1:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

TexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
Sounds as if it might fall under the essential support personnel category of the P-1 visa.
I got talking to the merchandising crew of a fairly well known British band at a gig last year, and they were all on P visas whilst traveling the US with the band.
Old Nov 17th 2019, 4:04 pm
Account Closed

This is a US Band.
Old Nov 17th 2019, 5:08 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
This is a US Band.
But the tour manager is apparently British.
Old Nov 17th 2019, 5:08 pm
Account Closed

Hence the issue.
Old Nov 17th 2019, 5:27 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Hence the issue.
Are we going round in circles? Isn’t that why the OP came here for advice in the first place?
Old Nov 17th 2019, 5:57 pm
Account Closed

Well how a British group and their support staff operate is hardly relevant.
Old Nov 17th 2019, 6:09 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Well how a British group and their support staff operate is hardly relevant.
It is relevant in that the P visa is that used by overseas entertainment support personnel operating in the US, which is what the OP wants to do, even if he will not be touring.