British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/)
-   -   Temp Work Visa - Which One? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/temp-work-visa-one-641722/)

Michael-B Nov 22nd 2009 9:42 pm

Temp Work Visa - Which One?

Hello all,

First post in the US forum, I'm a British citizen living in Toronto on a temp visa but applying for residency in Canada.

I work for a small consulting firm (have 2.5 years of experience in this field) and am due to work on a client in the US next year. I'm likely to be heading down and back once to twice a week for 3 months and once every 2-3 weeks after that.

I'm not very knowledgeable on the US visas, can anyone suggest which will be the most suitable option to go for?

Thanks in advance,

Michael

Folinskyinla Nov 22nd 2009 10:58 pm

Re: Temp Work Visa - Which One?

Originally Posted by Michael-B (Post 8117413)
Hello all,

First post in the US forum, I'm a British citizen living in Toronto on a temp visa but applying for residency in Canada.

I work for a small consulting firm (have 2.5 years of experience in this field) and am due to work on a client in the US next year. I'm likely to be heading down and back once to twice a week for 3 months and once every 2-3 weeks after that.

I'm not very knowledgeable on the US visas, can anyone suggest which will be the most suitable option to go for?

Thanks in advance,

Michael

Hi:

A qualified lawyer in US immigration law is in an excellent position to do that. The best people would those lawyers practicing either in Canada or along the northern border in places like Detroit or Buffalo.

Your post suggest multiple ways of doing it -- and the best answer might very well depend upon the facts.

Good luck.

Michael-B Nov 23rd 2009 1:03 am

Thanks for that, I'm actually due to see a Canadian based US immigration lawyer on Tuesday but not knowing the system, was interested to have some steer as to whether I'm eligible for a visa or not, so thanks for suggesting that there are suitable options out there!

Michael

ian-mstm Nov 23rd 2009 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by Michael-B (Post 8117695)
... was interested to have some steer as to whether I'm eligible for a visa or not, so thanks for suggesting that there are suitable options out there!

Among those options is a B-1 visa - so check that out.

Ian

Michael-B Nov 24th 2009 9:58 am

Thanks for that Ian. I've just received an email from the lawyer I'm due to meet with today saying that it i going to be tough to get me a visa as my company does not have a US entity and with me being a British citizen (NAFTA not applicable and TN not possible).

Are you able to suggest any other visas that may be applicable so that I am able to make some suggestions when I speak with the lawyer this afternoon?

Thanks again,

Michael

ian-mstm Nov 24th 2009 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by Michael-B (Post 8121076)
Are you able to suggest any other visas that may be applicable so that I am able to make some suggestions when I speak with the lawyer this afternoon?

I don't have another visa in mind, but be sure to use the word "business" rather than "work" in any paperwork *and* at the border when crossing. There's a huge difference between "I'm here for work" and "I'm here for business". :)

Ian

meauxna Nov 24th 2009 4:00 pm

Thanks for that Ian. I've just received an email from the lawyer I'm due to meet with today saying that it i going to be tough to get me a visa as my company does not have a US entity and with me being a British citizen (NAFTA not applicable and TN not possible).

Thanks again,

Michael

If the lawyer thinks your activities don't fall under the B-1 rules, maybe you need to re-think your US assignment?

JAJ Dec 1st 2009 12:38 am

Other options could perhaps include: L1 (after 12 months of working for your company), H1-B, E1 or E2, or even an O visa.

Otherwise you may have to wait for your Canadian citizenship.