Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Tax Returns Question + Affidavit of Support

Tax Returns Question + Affidavit of Support

Old Apr 11th 2002, 8:48 pm
Forum Regular

bwelburn is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Tax Returns Question + Affidavit of Support

Hi,

My wife (USC) and I are currently in the UK going through the spouse visa process with the US Embassy in London.

can any one help with the following about Tax Returns:

For the last tax year my wife has not been working (therefore she has not made any income) - does she need to file a tax return in the US?

Prior to this she was a medical student and again had no income and did not file any tax returns - should she have filed tax returns while she was a student?

How will the above affect us with her affidavit of support for my visa? (Our joint sponsor has filed the relevant tax returns for the past three years).

Thanks
Old Apr 12th 2002, 10:10 pm
Alvena Ferreira

Default Re: Tax Returns Question + Affidavit of Support

bwelburn wrote:
    > My wife (USC) and I are currently in the UK going through the spouse visa process
    > with the US Embassy in London. can any one help with the following about Tax
    > Returns: For the last tax year my wife has not been working (therefore she has not
    > made any income) - does she need to file a tax return in the US? Prior to this she
    > was a medical student and again had no income and did not file any tax returns -
    > should she have filed tax returns while she was a student? How will the above
    > affect us with her affidavit of support for my visa? (Our joint sponsor has filed
    > the relevant tax returns for the past three years).
    >
1. Your wife completes an I-864, writing an explanation of why she has no tax
returns.
2. You also file an I-864 from the co-sponsor with his 3 years of tax returns.
3. everything works out just fine, most likely. Alvena See the Doc Steen site here:
http://www.mindspring.com/~docsteen/...o/visainfo.htm I am not a lawyer, and
this is not immigration advice. The information I provide is mostly gleaned from
old newsgroup posts and visa links on the internet. If you want or need a lawyer,
go to: http://www.aila.org

Old Apr 12th 2002, 11:05 pm
Petey's Playmate

PEACHSTER is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Tax Returns Question + Affidavit of Support

I also have a question, well a few questions with this cause I am confused.

I am self employed & don't make enough to file taxes. I was able to file for this year but was told that I cant file for the past 2 years. So my question is do I explain as well on that form why I can't file & if so where on the form do I explain it?

I do have W-2's & will have copies of those to send in along with my mom who is the co-sponsor & will have her tax returns plus the W-2's to send in.

Also I wanna make sure it is ok that I combine my mom's income along with mine? I live with her & she claims on her taxes head of household & my name is also on her taxes.

Thanks for all your help. This is a very useful BB.