Tax Returns

Old Aug 9th 2004, 11:09 am
  #1  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 3
SillyMonkey is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Tax Returns

Hi, newbie here, so please excuse me if this sounds like a silly question.
I would like to start the visa process to join my fiance in the US. My understanding is that after we are married we will need to AOS, and part of this process is for him to have the last 3 years tax returns. He hasn't filed taxes in years! I'm not trying to excuse him, I know that this is a bad thing. Has anyone else been in a similar situation? If he files the taxes now he may have to be put on some kind of payment plan with the IRS. Would this hinder the AOS process?
SillyMonkey is offline  
Old Aug 9th 2004, 11:14 am
  #2  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 8
iomega1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Tax Returns

Originally Posted by SillyMonkey
Hi, newbie here, so please excuse me if this sounds like a silly question.
I would like to start the visa process to join my fiance in the US. My understanding is that after we are married we will need to AOS, and part of this process is for him to have the last 3 years tax returns. He hasn't filed taxes in years! I'm not trying to excuse him, I know that this is a bad thing. Has anyone else been in a similar situation? If he files the taxes now he may have to be put on some kind of payment plan with the IRS. Would this hinder the AOS process?
He is also going to have to provide these documents just to get you to the USA, and before the AOS paperwork is filed. You will have to be approved to leave your country with a visa to be with him. This process will also require the tax documents. He will need to contact the IRS and make arrangements to catch up with them. You have zero chance of getting through immigration until your boyfriend takes care of the IRS requirements.
iomega1 is offline  
Old Aug 9th 2004, 11:18 am
  #3  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 3
SillyMonkey is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Tax Returns

Originally Posted by iomega1
He is also going to have to provide these documents just to get you to the USA, and before the AOS paperwork is filed. You will have to be approved to leave your country with a visa to be with him. This process will also require the tax documents. He will need to contact the IRS and make arrangements to catch up with them. You have zero chance of getting through immigration until your boyfriend takes care of the IRS requirements.
My understanding on reading the process for the K1 visa (on the US Embassy, UK website), was that he did not have to provide the tax forms at this stage. As long as I could prove that he was working and that I would have funds to support myself prior to finding a job in the US, that the K1 would be granted. The tax forms are required at the AOS stage.

I would really like to know if anyone has been through a similar situation, and if the issues with the IRS were hard to sort out.
SillyMonkey is offline  
Old Aug 9th 2004, 11:25 am
  #4  
Concierge
 
Rete's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 46,508
Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tax Returns

Originally Posted by SillyMonkey
My understanding on reading the process for the K1 visa (on the US Embassy, UK website), was that he did not have to provide the tax forms at this stage. As long as I could prove that he was working and that I would have funds to support myself prior to finding a job in the US, that the K1 would be granted. The tax forms are required at the AOS stage.

I would really like to know if anyone has been through a similar situation, and if the issues with the IRS were hard to sort out.

It depends on the US Consulate. In the Philipphines they are a requirement as at the US Consulate in London. The US Consulate in London requests the 3 years of tax returns on the checklist sent to the foreign fiancee. So, your sweetie has to come clean with the IRS before your petition can be approved.

Rete
Rete is offline  
Old Aug 9th 2004, 11:28 am
  #5  
MODERATOR
 
Noorah101's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2003
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Posts: 58,687
Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tax Returns

Originally Posted by SillyMonkey
My understanding on reading the process for the K1 visa (on the US Embassy, UK website), was that he did not have to provide the tax forms at this stage. As long as I could prove that he was working and that I would have funds to support myself prior to finding a job in the US, that the K1 would be granted. The tax forms are required at the AOS stage.

I would really like to know if anyone has been through a similar situation, and if the issues with the IRS were hard to sort out.
I don't know about sorting it out with the IRS, but from what I've seen, most consulates are requiring 3 years of tax returns in order to process the K-1 visa. They did require it of me, when I went through the Ankara, Turkey consulate. You might want to double check with the consulate you'll be using, to verify. Be prepared to provide returns, or a letter of explanation why they are missing, by the time you need to turn in the I-134 Affidavit of Support.

Best Wishes!
Rene
Noorah101 is offline  
Old Aug 9th 2004, 11:34 am
  #6  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 3
SillyMonkey is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Tax Returns

Originally Posted by Noorah101
I don't know about sorting it out with the IRS, but from what I've seen, most consulates are requiring 3 years of tax returns in order to process the K-1 visa. They did require it of me, when I went through the Ankara, Turkey consulate. You might want to double check with the consulate you'll be using, to verify. Be prepared to provide returns, or a letter of explanation why they are missing, by the time you need to turn in the I-134 Affidavit of Support.

Best Wishes!
Rene
Thanks! The US Embassy website was certainly misleading
http://www.usembassy.org.uk/cons_web...faffidavit.htm
I will make sure that my sweetie gets on the case asap!
SillyMonkey is offline  
Old Aug 10th 2004, 9:50 am
  #7  
Mr.Parker
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Tax Returns

SillyMonkey <member27536@british_expats.com> wrote in message news:<[email protected] om>...
    > > I don't know about sorting it out with the IRS, but from what I've
seen, most consulates are requiring 3 years of tax returns in order to
process the K-1 visa. They did require it of me, when I went through
the Ankara, Turkey consulate. You might want to double check with the
consulate you'll be using, to verify. Be prepared to provide returns,
or a letter of explanation why they are missing, by the time you need
to turn in the I-134 Affidavit of Support.
    > >
    > > Best Wishes!
    > > Rene
    >
    > Thanks! The US Embassy website was certainly misleading
    > http://www.usembassy.org.uk/cons_web...faffidavit.htm
    > I will make sure that my sweetie gets on the case asap!

ask bush, he knows everything
 
Old Aug 10th 2004, 10:36 am
  #8  
Exile
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Tax Returns

"SillyMonkey" wrote:
    > My understanding on reading the process for the K1 visa (on the US
Embassy, UK website), was that he did not have to provide the tax forms at
this stage. As long as I could prove that he was working and that I would
have funds to support myself prior to finding a job in the US, that the K1
would be granted. The tax forms are required at the AOS stage.


The documentation that comes with the affadavit form states that it should
be accompanied with two forms of documentation of the four suggested (one of
which is tax returns).

At the interview, I handed over the affadavit with the tax returns, a letter
from my fiancee's employer and a letter from her bank. Without even looking
at the attachments, the guy at the desk immediately handed me back
everything except the affadavit and told me to hang on to it until I was
asked for it in the US.

The experiences of others may vary, but I think that the bottom line seems
to be that you're going to need it eventually so better get it sorted sooner
or later.


Best of luck,

Andy
 

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.