Wikiposts

Tax - providing service on J1

Old Oct 7th 2010, 8:14 am
Just Joined

terytate is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Tax - providing service on J1

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
I understand that you're asking because you don't know... but we're giving you the benefit of our 10 or 13 years of experience with exactly these sorts of questions. You can ignore everything we say, if you want to. That's your choice. But don't, for a moment, think we're going to actually help you define that line.

Ian
Yes, and it is helpful, thanks. Asking one question rarely produces a good answer, which 8 questions seems to have in this case.

A certificate on the wall does not mean that a lawyer is correct - I know of multiple screw ups as a result of that assumption. You guys tend to err on the side of caution, and I can see now how far you tend to err. Not that crowd-sourcing is infallible, of course.

Cheers.
Old Oct 8th 2010, 6:52 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by terytate
Yes, and it is helpful, thanks. Asking one question rarely produces a good answer, which 8 questions seems to have in this case.

A certificate on the wall does not mean that a lawyer is correct - I know of multiple screw ups as a result of that assumption. You guys tend to err on the side of caution, and I can see now how far you tend to err. Not that crowd-sourcing is infallible, of course.

Cheers.
You can't see anything of the kind. If you don't know where 'the line' is, how do you know how close or accurate we are?

We don't appreciate game-playing here. Some questions can not (or should not) be answered on the forum. This is a case where you should have your own private counsel whispering in your ear privately, and for a fee.
Old Oct 8th 2010, 7:08 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

So if I volunteer (web design) for another company, and they provide me a car to use for this volunteer work, then I am fine?
This is just getting silly isn't it.

You've been given a pretty clear answer to your question, which is, no, you can't faff around on these side projects.

How you want to interpret that answer and how you want to respond to that answer is up to you, but asking again and again and slagging off the folks who give you that answer isn't going to change that answer.

You've made up your mind, so do as you please, but go see an immigration lawyer who is experienced in work sponsorships so that you don't screw any future plans up by being foolish now.
Old Oct 8th 2010, 8:41 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bob
This is just getting silly isn't it.

You've been given a pretty clear answer to your question, which is, no, you can't faff around on these side projects.

How you want to interpret that answer and how you want to respond to that answer is up to you, but asking again and again and slagging off the folks who give you that answer isn't going to change that answer.

You've made up your mind, so do as you please, but go see an immigration lawyer who is experienced in work sponsorships so that you don't screw any future plans up by being foolish now.
I haven't 'slagged' anybody off, Bob (such an Oxbridge term). I'm grateful for the discourse.

I'm not going to waste $500 on a lawyer who will only give the same information as you folks, with no guarantee.
Old Oct 8th 2010, 9:24 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I I'm not going to waste $500 on a lawyer who will only give the same information as you folks, with no guarantee.
How do you know he'll give you the same information? We are mostly laymen on here. An immigration lawyer could possibly know something we don't, you can hash out all the various scenarios and maybe he will have an idea that we don't have.

Rene
Old Oct 8th 2010, 9:41 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Noorah101
How do you know he'll give you the same information? We are mostly laymen on here. An immigration lawyer could possibly know something we don't, you can hash out all the various scenarios and maybe he will have an idea that we don't have.

Rene
Not the sort of lawyer that I can afford...
Old Oct 8th 2010, 5:54 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Not the sort of lawyer that I can afford...
A 1-time consultation with a US-based immigration attorney should run you about $150 to $200 at most. You can consult over the phone, internet, email, chat, Skype, etc. If this is something you want to seriously consider (i.e. doing a side business while on H1B), you really should find a way to fork over that amount of money to find out.

Try starting here: www.ailalawyer.com

Rene