Tasks after green card?

Old Oct 6th 2021, 3:00 am
Forum Regular

JosiesJourney is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Tasks after green card?

Hello everyone,
We have finally been issued with green cards - so very grateful USCIS finally did us a solid!!
However is anyone aware of any admin type tasks that should be done? Our kids currently have ITINs on the old L2s, do these need to be switched to SSNs?
We have informed our employers but curious if there is anything else to be done now?

TIA!

Josie
Old Oct 6th 2021, 3:15 am
Forum Regular

newacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tasks after green card?

Yes, you should apply for the children's SSNs, so that you can claim the Child Tax Credit for them when you do your taxes. You and your spouse can also update the SSA with your statuses, so you can get SS cards that do not have the "valid for work only with DHS authorization" text on them.
Old Oct 6th 2021, 1:10 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

If you have to go to the SS office for your kids anyway update to a new card without the restrictions, but if you plan to go for Citizenship you could also wait and do it at the same time as you update to say you are a USC (the GC is proof of emoluments authorization, so that covers the text on the SS card). I did the update after GC, but have not done the post citizenship one yet. You can also update at the DMV… then you get “Real ID” DL. I waited to do that till I moved from NY to CT to save a trip to the DMV, and waited to update my citizenship until my DL was due for renewal anyway. If you have Global Entry and Pre you may have to update that, although despite only needing a GC to enter (in theory) I have not seen an airline that does not want to see a passport and you essentially need one to enter any other country anyway…

Last edited by tht; Oct 6th 2021 at 1:14 pm.
Old Oct 7th 2021, 2:23 am
Forum Regular

JosiesJourney is an unknown quantity at this point

Brilliant thank you both! No idea about citizenship yet or whether that is in our destiny but will definitely plan to visit the SSN office to update cards.....

Ty!
Old Oct 8th 2021, 2:20 am
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JosiesJourney
Brilliant thank you both! No idea about citizenship yet or whether that is in our destiny but will definitely plan to visit the SSN office to update cards.....

Ty!
Note that many SS offices are still closed due to covid. Check online and see what the process is for the office near you.
Old Oct 15th 2021, 12:42 am
Forum Regular

mum 2 3 has a reputation beyond reputemum 2 3 has a reputation beyond reputemum 2 3 has a reputation beyond reputemum 2 3 has a reputation beyond reputemum 2 3 has a reputation beyond reputemum 2 3 has a reputation beyond reputemum 2 3 has a reputation beyond reputemum 2 3 has a reputation beyond reputemum 2 3 has a reputation beyond reputemum 2 3 has a reputation beyond reputemum 2 3 has a reputation beyond repute

YMMV but I needed a SSN for my eldest for him to get his driving permit. Our office is not currently open and they have moved most processes online. Getting a child a SSN is not one of them, it has to be done in person. After a few hours on the phone to get past the automated systems I eventually got through to a person who said needing to drive was not an important enough reason to get the interview. We waited a few months and then he was enrolling in a dual enrollment class at the local college and high school. Hours on the phone again and this was a valid reason so they gave us a day and time for his interview. That went smoothly and his SSN arrived quickly. I have 2 more that need them now but the process is still the same currently. Getting the run around on trying to book their interviews when they dont call back. Needing a SSN for work was another reason they would accept to allow you to get the interview. These 2 are keen to get earning so maybe early 2022 we will manage to get an appointment. Hope its not as difficult where you live