Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Supporting documents for Registering Birth at Embassy

Supporting documents for Registering Birth at Embassy

Old Apr 5th 2013, 7:41 pm
Forum Regular

savannah_boy has a reputation beyond reputesavannah_boy has a reputation beyond reputesavannah_boy has a reputation beyond reputesavannah_boy has a reputation beyond reputesavannah_boy has a reputation beyond reputesavannah_boy has a reputation beyond reputesavannah_boy has a reputation beyond reputesavannah_boy has a reputation beyond reputesavannah_boy has a reputation beyond reputesavannah_boy has a reputation beyond reputesavannah_boy has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Supporting documents for Registering Birth at Embassy

Hi everyone. After looking at the Embassy & UK goverment sites I am still confused about the supporting docs for registering a birth at British Embassy in Washington DC. Can someone who has done this before please share their list of evidence and the timescale it took?

I am a UK citizen, my wife a US citizen. We have both been married before. Child born in USA.The list of supporting documents includes divorce certificates. My wife's document is many many many pages long. Do we need to provide the full document AND 2 copies of it or just the front page(s)?

On a side note I wanted to speak with the Embassy at Washington and couldn't get through. I noticed they had a facebook page but the email listed was gmail! I doubt the British Government would use that for official business. It seemed odd. See here:
https://www.facebook.com/ukinusa/info

Put downs and sarcasm welcome as always!
Old Apr 5th 2013, 8:18 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Supporting documents for Registering Birth at Embassy

Are they asking for the divorce certificate or the divorce decree? I expect the certificate, but you seem to be describing the decree.

Two different things.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by savannah_boy
The list of supporting documents includes divorce certificates. My wife's document is many many many pages long. Do we need to provide the full document AND 2 copies of it or just the front page(s)?
Old Apr 5th 2013, 9:18 pm
Forum Regular

savannah_boy has a reputation beyond reputesavannah_boy has a reputation beyond reputesavannah_boy has a reputation beyond reputesavannah_boy has a reputation beyond reputesavannah_boy has a reputation beyond reputesavannah_boy has a reputation beyond reputesavannah_boy has a reputation beyond reputesavannah_boy has a reputation beyond reputesavannah_boy has a reputation beyond reputesavannah_boy has a reputation beyond reputesavannah_boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
Are they asking for the divorce certificate or the divorce decree? I expect the certificate, but you seem to be describing the decree.

Two different things.

Regards, JEff
I have a certificate as I was divorced in the UK. My wife has a decree and was divorced in the USA. On the UK government website it says says "divorce documents" but on the downloaded word document it says

The parents’ marriage/civil partnership certificate and, if appropriate, evidence of the termination of any previous marriage/civil partnership(s) of either parent
Old Apr 5th 2013, 9:25 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Each state may be different in some respects, but there is likely both a certificate and a decree, the latter containing the gory details of the settlement. Have your wife check if there isn't a simple 1-page certificate of divorce available.

You didn't provide much of a description, but "just the front page(s)" might be all you need.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by savvy-boy
My wife has a decree and was divorced in the USA.
Old Apr 5th 2013, 10:05 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

H

On a side note I wanted to speak with the Embassy at Washington and couldn't get through. I noticed they had a facebook page but the email listed was gmail! I doubt the British Government would use that for official business. It seemed odd. See here:
Not that uncommon actually these days. It's a good spam filter, so a lot of companies are using it as a gate way for info/jobs @ email address.
Old Apr 5th 2013, 11:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond repute

We just finished the process with our twins. My divorce didn't include a bonus of a certificate, so the entire decree went.

We simply included everything listed on the application and ignored the site as it was confusing.

We sent it all priority mail as it includes tracking already these days.

A few days later, we got an email from a nice lady in the consul section with a few questions (they wanted to be sure we were registering TWO new British subjects) and confirmation to charge our CC.

They'll get in touch with you if something is missing.

Everything came back within a week after the email.
Old Apr 30th 2013, 4:04 pm
Forum Regular

Smile Re: Supporting documents for Registering Birth at Embassy

Following on from our situation is there a time limit for registering the birth at the British? Also does it matter if you apply for a British Passport before said certificate?
Old Apr 30th 2013, 4:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Following on from our situation is there a time limit for registering the birth at the British? Also does it matter if you apply for a British Passport before said certificate?
I don't think there is a hard limit as such but the longer it is left the more suspicious of evidence they might be. Mainly in relation to the date of issue of the birth certificate. This is because in adoptions the original birth certificate ceases to exist. I have seen suggestions it is best to register within three months.

Probably easier to wait until you have a copy of the British registration certificate before applying for the passport will make that process smoother.
Old Jun 6th 2013, 8:18 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
I don't think there is a hard limit as such but the longer it is left the more suspicious of evidence they might be. Mainly in relation to the date of issue of the birth certificate. This is because in adoptions the original birth certificate ceases to exist. I have seen suggestions it is best to register within three months.

Probably easier to wait until you have a copy of the British registration certificate before applying for the passport will make that process smoother.
We just got her amended (due to spelling mistake) birth certificate. My daughter is 2 months old. Where can I get concrete information that I need to register before 3 months old?
Many thanks
Old Jun 7th 2013, 1:59 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

We just got her amended (due to spelling mistake) birth certificate. My daughter is 2 months old. Where can I get concrete information that I need to register before 3 months old?
Many thanks
You can't, there is just a rule of thumb just because of amendments.
Old Jun 7th 2013, 2:48 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone. After looking at the Embassy & UK goverment sites I am still confused about the supporting docs for registering a birth at British Embassy in Washington DC. Can someone who has done this before please share their list of evidence and the timescale it took?

I am a UK citizen, my wife a US citizen. We have both been married before. Child born in USA.The list of supporting documents includes divorce certificates. My wife's document is many many many pages long. Do we need to provide the full document AND 2 copies of it or just the front page(s)?

Put downs and sarcasm welcome as always!
I did this in January.
I forgot to mail my divorce documents.
They emailed me and asked me to scan it to them and email it.
Old Jun 7th 2013, 5:17 am
Senior Moment

Sarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond repute

I still haven't done this and the bin lid will be 2 in August. Bollocks.
Old Jun 7th 2013, 10:30 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Many thanks
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!! Have you also visited the British bakery in Pooler?
Old Jun 7th 2013, 11:33 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by cindyabs
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!! Have you also visited the British bakery in Pooler?
Hi Cindy. A work colleague of my wife brought us some pasties from there once. They were pretty tasty
Old Jun 7th 2013, 7:35 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Many thanks
From memory I think the three month rule applies to having the US birth certificate issued no later than three months after the birth otherwise the embassy will also need to see the hospital records as well.

https://www.gov.uk/register-a-birth

You can apply for the passport before birth registration, but it's easier to do it afterwards as all you'll need to send is their consular birth certificate.

Last edited by BritInParis; Jun 7th 2013 at 7:37 pm. Reason: Passport query

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.