Support E2 reform

Old Oct 13th 2008, 9:25 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Support E2 reform

Originally Posted by pinkcat
Why, when this is a site for British expats? What could possibly be their interest?
meh.

Would have thought it obvious, it's a great immigration resource, plenty of spouses from various countries looking to get other halves over...plenty of people wanting to know about other countries or moving to other countries.
Old Oct 13th 2008, 9:33 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bob
Like I said, it's a viable way for people to come on the cheap because your not pursuing the EB5.

L1, that doesn't happen all that much, because it's bloody hard for anyone in the UK with a small business to do just that.
Bob:

Nina ain't worth it.
Old Oct 13th 2008, 9:34 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Probably fair to say that with the L1 some people did manage it, but there are probems with renewal and they seem much tighter now.

It does raise the much bigger issue of what is right and fair, whch is why most of us here would advise against ever using it for the majority of people who ask about it. But the ability to keep on renewing it I had not thought about, which is I guess why some people like it.

Most countries will make some exceptions if somebody comes with a big bag of money, but most people do not have that, and I can not see the US or any other contry that might be deemed to be attractive wanting to change that, it is after all a numbers game.
Old Oct 13th 2008, 9:51 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Thousand of E2ers have been here for many years and now find they cannot sell their businesses.
So? How is their inability to sell their business any concern of the US government? Did the government promise in writing that their world would always be rosy red? I think not.

Were they supposed to forsee the resession?
Sorry... but it's the cost of doing business. Sometimes things work out... sometimes they don't. Again though... not the concern of the USG.

For many, when they came, the limitations of the visa were not really problematic, but times have changed and many are now suffering financially.
So, the known limitations were good enough for them when things were going well... but now that things have changed, those limitations are a burden. Well... how sad for them... they can't have it both ways.

... what would you say to people who get divorced - you knew what you were getting into, so you have to stay married?
No... they go their separate ways and live with the consequences of their actions - just as E2's should. But no... apparently that's not good enough. Y'all want your cake and to eat it too.

I don't understand your stance.
You don't understand that people should be held accountable for their actions? Boy... are you out of touch with reality. This visa was their choice... limitations and all - and nothing you can say can possibly alter that fact.

Ian
Old Oct 13th 2008, 10:32 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
As has been said repeatedly, you chose your own poison. Now you have to deal with the side effects
You haven't been paying attention, have you? I don't need to deal with the side effects, my future is secure. My concern is for those families who are not so lucky.

Try to keep up.
Yes, and I refer collectively to all of the E2 holders 'represented' by you and the petition. Is that really so hard to understand?
Old Oct 13th 2008, 11:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

coopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond repute

All of my employees earn over $50,000 a year with at least another $15,000 in tips on top!
Giz a job
Old Oct 14th 2008, 1:47 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by coopa_troopa
Giz a job
first of all, dude, you stole my post!

Again, having a temporary working visa with time limits is not the same as investing in a business.
It occurs to me that you would benefit by looking at the definition of "investing". Investing in a business is not the same as buying yourself a JOB, which is what the small E-2s do when they bring the whole family over and want to put down roots. Businesses can be managed over distance and as an investor, you can come over here and live longish term to set things right or make corrections etc but you are asking a lot of "investment" that isn't there, by definition. If you wanted a Green Card out of your investment, the ticket price is higher than you paid.
If your business is so successful, pull some money out and go EB-5 (collective you since your bacon is already saved).

Thousand of E2ers have been here for many years and now find they cannot sell their businesses. Were they supposed to forsee the resession?

For many, when they came, the limitations of the visa were not really problematic, but times have changed and many are now suffering financially. That suffering could be relieved if those investors could become permanent residents and not have to live in uncertainty and with the constant cost of renewals.
BS! If the business can't weather the market downturns then perhaps it was a poor investment. If my business fails, who bails ME out? I think you've picked a supremely poor time to play that card. And since you are keeping score, I'm a US citizen, and I don't think what happens to E-2s is tragic or in need of mending. I DID help you out very soon after you posted by finding the thread of previous discussion and you took it on like I'd thrown a drink in your face.
Reviewing the balance of your comments it's pretty clear to me who has a problem, and it's not me.
Old Oct 14th 2008, 6:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

hobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond repute

If fighting for good people to be treated fairly has turned people on this forum against me, so be it. I couldn't care less what you think because you are ignorant and selfish.
I love it... E2 people are "good" and everyone else is, basically, bad.

Congratulations, you've turned my E2 mild apathy to complete disdain.
Old Oct 14th 2008, 8:09 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Thread close time maybe ..
Old Oct 14th 2008, 8:28 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Ray
Thread close time maybe ..
Hi:

Concur. I hope her cause doesn't have other advocates like her though. I think we have served our purpose as a "focus group" don't you think?
Old Oct 14th 2008, 8:32 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

Concur. I hope her cause doesn't have other advocates like her though. I think we have served our purpose as a "focus group" don't you think?
Oh yes !!!
Old Oct 14th 2008, 11:25 pm
Just Joined

tetleystea is just really nicetetleystea is just really nicetetleystea is just really nicetetleystea is just really nicetetleystea is just really nicetetleystea is just really nicetetleystea is just really nicetetleystea is just really nice

Sometimes when you are so attached to an issue - particulary one with such a life changing topic as immigration - your arguments and emotions get the better of you. I suspect a lot of people reading and participating in this forum can understand that - a lot us us have been through it.

I originally went to the US on an E2 visa - before the days of info on the internet and forums such as this - had a business turning over more than a $1Million and 22 employees. I did not realise that my daughter would not be able to stay over 21 - in the words of our visa advisor "once you are there - it's easy to get a green card" - famous last words!!! (This advisor is now selling EB5 rather than E2).

As an ex E2 holder I sympathise with the OP and will sign the Petition. I would also sign petitions for the Dream Act etc - but realising that not everything in life is fair and just .... but you can only hope.

Now you can close the thread!!! but keep up the good work of advising would be immigrants on all the pro's and con's of immigrants without getting too personal. LOL
Old Oct 15th 2008, 12:46 am
Zoe
Forum Regular

Zoe will become famous soon enoughZoe will become famous soon enough

Thank you for the final reply and I agree that the thread should now be closed.
Old Oct 15th 2008, 1:03 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zoe A
Thank you for the final reply and I agree that the thread should now be closed.
Me too!