Suet!

Old Nov 26th 2007, 3:48 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Suet!

I will agree with Penguin on one thing ..... over the past 10 to 15 years butchers have started to automatically over-trim meat. Unless you make a special order at the butcher - it is easier to find boneless/skinless chicken breasts than the bone in with rib meat (which tastes nicer) and the only pork chops that have the bone in are the cheapest cuts. :curse: I feel like my meat is being vetted through some anorexic soccer mom cult. :curse:
Old Nov 26th 2007, 6:29 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tracym
I had never heard that Americans don't like meat on the bone - not sure where that one's coming from honestly.

Ribs, T-bone steak, prime rib, etc... are considered the best of meats.

Now fillet steak, or pork's equivalent - tenderloin aren't on the bone, but...
Give me a hunk of prime rib (bone in of course) or a t bone or pork ribs and I'm happy to gnaw away.
Old Nov 26th 2007, 7:44 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

You can't talk restaurant vs. home cooking here NCP.

I was in Mississippi last week and had home bbq'd ribs, both pork and beef, and they all had bones in them. Also the ribs I get from the Chinese take out has bones. At home all my steaks with the exception of a London Broil have bones as do my hams and pork chops. I also like lamb but only chops and then with the bone.

As for supermarkets that might be in your area but up here, in Mississippi, Massachusetts, New York, New Jersey and in Nevada all cuts of meat and pork come with bones or without ... your choice. These are the states I have done grocery shopping in personally.

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
Ribs are more popular in Texas but not so in NC, thank you. Even the country style (pork) ribs (from the grocery store) barely contain any bone.:curse:

Just look at cuts of American steak in restaurants and in grocery stores. I can't really think of any that contain the bone.

When you see chicken on the menu at restaurants, how much of it is on the bone? What about buying cuts of chicken at the grocery store? The majority of it is sold boneless and that's because that's how the majority of Americans like it.

Like Leslie, I like to gnaw on cooked bones. Lamb shanks are a favorite.
Old Nov 26th 2007, 7:48 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leslie66
Ithe only pork chops that have the bone in are the cheapest cuts. :curse: I feel like my meat is being vetted through some anorexic soccer mom cult. :curse:
Uh No !!! We have center cut pork chops with bones. In fact when I order them at the restaurant (two chops with salad, potato and veggie for $9.95) they come with bones and I gnaw on them at the table.
Old Nov 26th 2007, 7:48 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Oh God I'm hungry.
Old Nov 26th 2007, 7:50 pm
WTF?

Originally Posted by Rete
Uh No !!! We have center cut pork chops with bones. In fact when I order them at the restaurant (two chops with salad, potato and veggie for $9.95) they come with bones and I gnaw on them at the table.
Restaurants are much better .... you're absolutely right about that. And of course the butcher will do whatever you like. It's just the pre-cut packaged stuff seems to be geared for people with no taste buds.
Old Nov 26th 2007, 7:53 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

You can't talk restaurant vs. home cooking here NCP.

I was in Mississippi last week and had home bbq'd ribs, both pork and beef, and they all had bones in them. Also the ribs I get from the Chinese take out has bones. At home all my steaks with the exception of a London Broil have bones as do my hams and pork chops. I also like lamb but only chops and then with the bone.

As for supermarkets that might be in your area but up here, in Mississippi, Massachusetts, New York, New Jersey and in Nevada all cuts of meat and pork come with bones or without ... your choice. These are the states I have done grocery shopping in personally.
I'm referring solely to American cuisine. Other cultures appreciate meat on the bone.

If you can get lamb shank, you should try that slow cooked. NB: only buy American lamb. I think many Americans dislike lamb because they've been eating Oz of NZ lamb which tastes and smells strong, unlike American lamb.
Old Nov 26th 2007, 7:53 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by Tracym
Standing rib roast
T-bone steaks
Porterhouse steaks
Pork chops on the bone
Many chicken breasts on the bone
Whole chickens for roasting, or whole fryers
Rack of lamb
We have:

Center Cut and cheaper cut Pork Chops with bones
Pork Loin Roast with bones
Chicken: Whole or quartered with bones; breast, thighs with or without bones; legs only with bones
Beef:
All cuts of steak; t-bone, porterhouse, shell, ribeye, and prime rib

Looks like it is regional preference rather than a national preference.
Old Nov 26th 2007, 7:57 pm
Concierge

I'm referring solely to American cuisine. Other cultures appreciate meat on the bone.

I have to laugh because I don't think much of anything we eat in this country can be considered "American". Most of my cooking reflects my ancestors, mother and grandmother, and is therefore a combination of German and/or Polish cooking with a smattering of ingenuity and resourcefulness.

Since my girls were brought up on this type of cooking, this is how they cook for their families and the tradition will probably continue until someone because a fanatic about healthcare and/or their figures.
Old Nov 26th 2007, 7:58 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

We have:

Center Cut and cheaper cut Pork Chops with bones
Pork Loin Roast with bones
Chicken: Whole or quartered with bones; breast, thighs with or without bones; legs only with bones
Beef:
All cuts of steak; t-bone, porterhouse, shell, ribeye, and prime rib

Looks like it is regional preference rather than a national preference.
Do you have many butchers where you live Rete? I don't sadly. The nearest decent butcher is in Carrboro which is maybe 25-30 mins drive away and parking is difficult at the best of times (Carrboro is an old-fashioned town so there's little in the way of parking lots).

As for the cuts of beef you mention, most are not your everyday cuts of beef are they? They're rather pricey, aren't they?
Old Nov 26th 2007, 8:02 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

I have to laugh because I don't think much of anything we eat in this country can be considered "American". Most of my cooking reflects my ancestors, mother and grandmother, and is therefore a combination of German and/or Polish cooking with a smattering of ingenuity and resourcefulness.

Since my girls were brought up on this type of cooking, this is how they cook for their families and the tradition will probably continue until someone because a fanatic about healthcare and/or their figures.
Now you're getting pedantic. You mentioned Chinese food and their ribs.

Are you denying that German and Polish cuisine haven't influenced and contributed to American cuisine? If you remove the influence of immigrants from American cuisine, there's not much left really (Native American based influences).
Old Nov 26th 2007, 8:11 pm
Concierge

Now you're getting pedantic. You mentioned Chinese food and their ribs.

Are you denying that German and Polish cuisine haven't influenced and contributed to American cuisine? If you remove the influence of immigrants from American cuisine, there's not much left really (Native American based influences).

One more go round. No I did not say that. Just said that I laugh because there is no such thing as "American" cooking since it is all influenced by cooking traditions from other countries, i.e. we might make pork and sauerkraut (german and/or polish style), veal marsala (italian), or crepes (french). They are not American. There is not one dish other than clambakes and perhaps NE clamchowder that I would consider an American dish without influence from another nationality.

I will ask my husband what his Native American wife served for dinner during their years of marriage or what his sisters' make for their Native husbands. Wait a minute. I've dined at my sister-in-law's home many times. It was just normal food.
Old Nov 26th 2007, 8:16 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

One more go round. No I did not say that. Just said that I laugh because there is no such thing as "American" cooking since it is all influenced by cooking traditions from other countries, i.e. we might make pork and sauerkraut (german and/or polish style), veal marsala (italian), or crepes (french). They are not American. There is not one dish other than clambakes and perhaps NE clamchowder that I would consider an American dish without influence from another nationality.

I will ask my husband what his Native American wife served for dinner during their years of marriage or what his sisters' make for their Native husbands. Wait a minute. I've dined at my sister-in-law's home many times. It was just normal food.
OK. How about Americanized food, instead of American food?
Old Nov 26th 2007, 8:22 pm
WTF?

Do you have many butchers where you live Rete? I don't sadly. The nearest decent butcher is in Carrboro which is maybe 25-30 mins drive away and parking is difficult at the best of times (Carrboro is an old-fashioned town so there's little in the way of parking lots).

As for the cuts of beef you mention, most are not your everyday cuts of beef are they? They're rather pricey, aren't they?
I'll bet New York has a much better variety than our states do, Penguin. The northern states tend to have a lot more ethnic and European influences. We're comparing apples and oranges.
Old Nov 26th 2007, 8:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Pumpkin Pie! I bet that one's ours.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.