Suet!

Old Nov 25th 2007, 5:53 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Suet!

Originally Posted by Thydney
You wouldn't want a big juicy piece of the cow we butchered the other week
I'll take the fillet thanks Thyd.
Old Nov 25th 2007, 5:55 pm

Pony is an unknown quantity at this point

poor nan, no wonder she never liked the public swimming pool

and fried bread is wrong why? put hair on your chest
Old Nov 25th 2007, 5:56 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pony
You better close your ears then. I picked up this nasty habit from my nan (grandmother):
I grill (broil ) bacon and collect the fat in a drip tray underneath the wire rack. I then fry a piece of bread in the bacon fat until it is crispy.
It sounds disgusting, tastes delicious, and although probably extremely bad for the old ticker, nan lived to be 84.

Living through WWII she had an excuse, not sure what mine is . . .

Yep that's what my mum did when we were kids. Don't like anything greasy now...except chip shop chips.
Old Nov 25th 2007, 6:06 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Yep that's what my mum did when we were kids. Don't like anything greasy now...except chip shop chips.

My dad's family as well. No one in the family died before age 85. He, his mom, his dad, three of his sisters were all over the age of 90. Infact one sister was 99.

They used bacon grease, lard, suet, lots of starches, i.e. potatoes, flour, etc. in their meals and they smoked as well. Go figure.
Old Nov 25th 2007, 6:14 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Rete
My dad's family as well. No one in the family died before age 85. He, his mom, his dad, three of his sisters were all over the age of 90. Infact one sister was 99.

They used bacon grease, lard, suet, lots of starches, i.e. potatoes, flour, etc. in their meals and they smoked as well. Go figure.
Yep all my mum's family are long lifers...some smoked, some drank..most lived well into their 80's and 90's...yet my father who did neither died when he was 32.
Old Nov 25th 2007, 7:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Thanks, Tracey. No I don't think I will be trying lard or suet anytime soon. It is not called for in my cooking (thankfully) and I rarely use crisco. I have a small can in the cupboard but it is at least 6 months old. We are older citizens and as such have to watch the style of cooking and meals we eat. And we don't eat Mexican. Delicate digestive systems LOL
Well probably wise in any case. I have the little can of Crisco that's lived here for a while also.

I do use the lard and suet, as I said - but very very rarely.

An my sympathies on the unfortunate reaction to Mexican - I love the stuff and have no problem with it - but it's curries that kill me off.
Old Nov 25th 2007, 8:33 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Had curry only once and didn't like it at all. I know that the smell of the Indian cooking coming off the lunch carts on the sidewalk have a tendency to make me gag. But the same occurs with those roasted honey peanut carts. Go figure.
Old Nov 25th 2007, 9:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tracym

Not the healthiest of course - but crisco (trans fat) just might be even worse. .

I use Crisco to make my cookies - they just turn out better - and I was just looking at it and it says 0 grams trans fat......this is the butter flavor, does the original have trans fat?
Old Nov 25th 2007, 10:01 pm
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

The thought of animal fat turns my stomach...not to mention what it does to the arteries.
You cant have a real decent roast beef or pork without a sheet of its fat wrapped around it while its roasting.
Old Nov 25th 2007, 10:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
I use Crisco to make my cookies - they just turn out better - and I was just looking at it and it says 0 grams trans fat......this is the butter flavor, does the original have trans fat?
Oh maybe they changed it - I don't know. Isn't it that partially hydrogenated or whatever stuff?
Old Nov 25th 2007, 10:16 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Rushman
You cant have a real decent roast beef or pork without a sheet of its fat wrapped around it while its roasting.
A thin layer suffices and I don't eat it.
Old Nov 25th 2007, 10:22 pm
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

Good marbling's the secret fat around the outside is secondary
Old Nov 25th 2007, 10:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

ElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to behold

Good marbling's the secret fat around the outside is secondary

Oh!! There's nothing like the crackling on lamb chops.
Old Nov 25th 2007, 10:50 pm
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

How much fat do you like around your meat then?
Old Nov 25th 2007, 10:52 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rushman
How much fat do you like around your meat then?
Give me a nice bloody ribeye with the bone in. After I've chewed the fat for a while I'll suck the bone until it's marrow dry.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.