British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/)
-   -   Suet! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/suet-496083/)

ri_mischief Nov 24th 2007 11:13 pm

Suet!

Hi all

Any ideas where I can get suet (veg or beef) - have just been greeted with blank stares at the local Stop and Shop....

In Rhode Island if that's any help to anyone and don't know of any butchers....

Ray Nov 24th 2007 11:23 pm

Re: Suet!

Originally Posted by ri_mischief (Post 5597025)
Hi all

Any ideas where I can get suet (veg or beef) - have just been greeted with blank stares at the local Stop and Shop....

Ask a butcher for ground beef fat

or
http://www.shop.britishgoodsonline.c...ceCode=froogle

Jerseygirl Nov 24th 2007 11:29 pm

Hi all

My local supermarket sells it in small trays in the fresh meat section. Ask at the meat counter...they should be able to provide you with some.

Tracym Nov 25th 2007 10:56 am

Hi all

Some areas, some grocery stores have it. Not too many.

If you can find a butcher that cuts up their own meat, you want to ask them for the fat from around the kidney of beef (not just any fat).

You pick the bits off the membrane. I froze it, then shredded it with a food processor (if not frozen, it will gum up anything).

ri_mischief Nov 25th 2007 11:27 am

Thanks guys for all your help....I haven't seen a single "real" butcher round here it's all seafood so I think I'll go for the online option

Thanks again

cindyabs Nov 25th 2007 1:39 pm

Tell 'em you want to feed the birds. say, you know suet, sort of like (and make sure you say it like this) lahhd. :)

Rete Nov 25th 2007 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by cindyabs (Post 5598285)
Tell 'em you want to feed the birds. say, you know suet, sort of like (and make sure you say it like this) lahhd. :)

The supermarket in Massachusetts sells lard in the refrigerated section where the butter is kept.

The only reason I can think to use suet or lard is for the birds. Do people still use it for cooking? I know that my grandmother did.

Rete Nov 25th 2007 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by ri_mischief (Post 5598045)
Thanks guys for all your help....I haven't seen a single "real" butcher round here it's all seafood so I think I'll go for the online option

Thanks again

But you have a stop and shop so they do have a meat department. Ask them for it in the meat area.

Tracym Nov 25th 2007 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by Rete (Post 5598330)
The supermarket in Massachusetts sells lard in the refrigerated section where the butter is kept.

The only reason I can think to use suet or lard is for the birds. Do people still use it for cooking? I know that my grandmother did.

Suet makes an amazingly good crust for Pasties. And is in all the recipes I have for Christmas Pudding and Clootie Dumpling.

Lard is still used by old-fashioned cooks to make pie crust (don't knock it till you've tried it) and in Mexican cooking.

Not the healthiest of course - but crisco (trans fat) just might be even worse. So who knows. All of the above are enough work that I'm not going to make/eat them often, so I figure, what the heck.

The problem with bird suet - is it's all sorts of fat. Suet for cooking, you want the nice fat from around the kidney - it is different.

NC Penguin Nov 25th 2007 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by ri_mischief (Post 5598045)

Thanks again

Where do you live? If there's a sizeable Latino community where you live, the butchers for the Latino community may sell or be able to get you suet.

Otherwise, I would search out an old-fashioned butcher/meat market.

Rete Nov 25th 2007 5:31 pm

Thanks, Tracey. No I don't think I will be trying lard or suet anytime soon. It is not called for in my cooking (thankfully) and I rarely use crisco. I have a small can in the cupboard but it is at least 6 months old. We are older citizens and as such have to watch the style of cooking and meals we eat. And we don't eat Mexican. Delicate digestive systems LOL

Jerseygirl Nov 25th 2007 5:36 pm

The thought of animal fat turns my stomach...not to mention what it does to the arteries. :blink:

Thydney Nov 25th 2007 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 5598787)
The thought of animal fat turns my stomach...not to mention what it does to the arteries. :blink:

You wouldn't want a big juicy piece of the cow we butchered the other week

Pony Nov 25th 2007 5:51 pm

You better close your ears then. I picked up this nasty habit from my nan (grandmother):
I grill (broil :rolleyes: ) bacon and collect the fat in a drip tray underneath the wire rack. I then fry a piece of bread in the bacon fat until it is crispy.
It sounds disgusting, tastes delicious, and although probably extremely bad for the old ticker, nan lived to be 84.

Living through WWII she had an excuse, not sure what mine is . . .

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 5598787)

Thydney Nov 25th 2007 5:53 pm

Originally Posted by Pony (Post 5598827)
You better close your ears then. I picked up this nasty habit from my nan (grandmother):
I grill (broil :rolleyes: ) bacon and collect the fat in a drip tray underneath the wire rack. I then fry a piece of bread in the bacon fat until it is crispy.
It sounds disgusting, tastes delicious, and although probably extremely bad for the old ticker, nan lived to be 84.

Living through WWII she had an excuse, not sure what mine is . . .

and fried bread is wrong why?:rofl: put hair on your chest