Successfull DV 2005 Process

Old Dec 22nd 2004, 6:10 am
Longtime Lurker

scotta will become famous soon enoughscotta will become famous soon enough
Default Successfull DV 2005 Process

Our DV2005 process for anyone that this may help. (add your comments if you find it usefull)

On the 8 November 2004 we had our consular interview which consisted of the following:

Handing in all our documentation and being told that we had the wrong version of our birth and marriage certificates. (South Africa has 3 types of each, we had ordered all but the one type had not come yet. Can take up to 6 months)
I was also asked how many weeks pregnant my wife was, 20 weeks.

We were then told to pay the required fee in Rands or Dollars, we paid in dollars. The consulate exchange rate was not good.

About an hour later we were called to the interview. I was asked what job I was in and let them know that I am in IT and my wife is a nurse. For the public charge requirements I had submitted a property evaluation from a real estate agent for the house we own and a current morgage balance from our bank, nett asset value $50,000. I also had the surrender values of 3 endowment poilcies, about $4,000.

We each then had to swear that everything submitted was the truth and sign the form, I signed on behalf of my 2 year old daughter. Our index finger print was also scanned.

The consul told us that the visa's were approved but that we would need to obtain the correct birth & marriage certificates before they would be issued. We were given a rejection letter stating the above.

Now followed 4 frantic weeks trying to get the certificates out of the South African Department of Home Affairs. After spending 10-15hours in various queues over the 4 weeks I eventually got them all. After phoning the consulate on the 6 December we scheduled an appointment on the 14 December. The drama surrounding this can be found at this post:
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=270742

Briefly because it was a new month we had lost our numbers and had to wait for new ones to be allocated as other applications were canceled or rejected. Eventually the consulate phoned yesterday lunch time 21 December informing me to hand in the certificates today at 8:30am and then should be able to collect our visas.

So at 2am we set off to Johannesburg 500km's from where we live. At 8:30 I handed in the certificates and was informed that the visa's would be ready at 2:30pm. So I took my wife and daughter to the Johannesburg zoo to kill 4.5 hours. They came along just incase but ended up not even having to enter the consular building.

At 2:25pm I went along to the immigrant visa window and after about 15min was issued with the 3 passports containing the immigrant visa valid for 6 months and 3 letter size sealed envelopes to be handed in at port of entry.

Home at last @ 8pm after covering 1000km's in one day. An the reward: 3 immigrant visas!