British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/)
-   -   Successful 751 (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/successful-751-a-299973/)

jcsutton Apr 30th 2005 11:43 am

Successful 751

We sent our 751 to the TSC in Sept 2004. No affidavits from friends or family, just alot of the financial stuff. We received our 797 approval letter in early April 2005. No interview, Yeah!! Went to the Atlanta office the following week (the 0630 opening time is great), found out that we needed an appointment. Since the 797 said nothing about this, they took us anyway. My wife got her new stamp in her passport and off we went. 1 week later we received her 10 year green card. Wow...Thanks to all who have assisted our journey to this point, Rete and Meauxna especially....Jerry and Paula

psychobabbler1 Apr 30th 2005 1:11 pm

Re: Successful 751

Originally Posted by jcsutton
We sent our 751 to the TSC in Sept 2004. No affidavits from friends or family, just alot of the financial stuff. We received our 797 approval letter in early April 2005. No interview, Yeah!! Went to the Atlanta office the following week (the 0630 opening time is great), found out that we needed an appointment. Since the 797 said nothing about this, they took us anyway. My wife got her new stamp in her passport and off we went. 1 week later we received her 10 year green card. Wow...Thanks to all who have assisted our journey to this point, Rete and Meauxna especially....Jerry and Paula

Congrats! I'm surprised your letter didn't mention making an INFOPASS appointment. Ours did, as well as stating which office (which we already knew
of course) and what to bring (it said 3 pics but the officer only took 2, so...).

Dawn

Noorah101 Apr 30th 2005 1:20 pm

Congratulations! :)

Rene

meauxna Apr 30th 2005 4:39 pm

Awesome news! You beat us to the finish line.. we're still waiting on Nebraska.
Congrats on reaching the end/nearly the end!!!
mo

Petra Apr 30th 2005 11:57 pm

WOW, Congrats!
Another easy one, and one without InfoPass at that....
Way to go...
Petra

Rete May 1st 2005 10:59 am

Congratulations Jerry and Paula. It is a great feeling isn't it to have this over and done with. Is Paula going to be applying for naturalization? It is the last step of the processing and for many reasons is beneficial to have. I understand that not everyone wants to naturalize or in some cases can't without losing their birth citizenship. If she does decide to go for it, will be happy to walk her through it based on my readings and experience with the process.

Rete

jcsutton May 4th 2005 10:29 pm

Thanks everyone. Hard to believe it's been almost 3 years since we got married, let alone started this journey. At times it's been tough, especially when she first got here. Living in non-Atlanta Georgia, people look at you like you have 3 heads if they hear an accent, (regardless if it's a lovely South African one) and the outsider feeling is still rather prevalent. (I feel the same way actually, being a blue kinda guy living in a red kinda state.) The communication skills we honed while being on opposite sides of the world have served us well. As far as citizenship goes, the jury is still out. Her having a US passport will certainly help our travel lust, but she is loath to give up her SA citizenship...We'll see...Thanks again for all the support, you've helped a couple of people bring to fruition something very special....

Jerry and Paula

mitimus May 5th 2005 12:56 pm

> Thanks everyone. Hard to believe it's been almost 3 years since we
got
    > married, let alone started this journey. At times it's been tough,
    > especially when she first got here. Living in non-Atlanta Georgia,
    > people look at you like you have 3 heads if they hear an accent,
    > (regardless if it's a lovely South African one) and the outsider
feeling
    > is still rather prevalent. (I feel the same way actually, being a
blue
    > kinda guy living in a red kinda state.) The communication skills we
    > honed while being on opposite sides of the world have served us well.
As
    > far as citizenship goes, the jury is still out. Her having a US
passport
    > will certainly help our travel lust, but she is loath to give up her
SA
    > citizenship...We'll see...Thanks again for all the support, you've
    > helped a couple of people bring to fruition something very
special....
    > Jerry and Paula
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Hi There. I understand how Paula feels. South Africans need a visa to
travel just about everywhere. It would be great to plan vacations
outside the US without having to worry about needing a visa. But
keeping South African citizenship also has its perks.

You might want to look into dual citizenship. I have been looking into
it and have found conflicting information, so I'm not sure if it's
possible.

Cubendri