Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Succesful I-486 interview today in Philadelphia!

Succesful I-486 interview today in Philadelphia!

Old Oct 5th 2004, 1:27 pm
Forum Regular

Feanor is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Succesful I-485 interview today in Philadelphia!

Just want to let anyone who is interested know that my wife and I attended our I-485 interview today in Philadelphia and got approved without any hassle by a nice Immigration Officer. I got the I-551 stamp in my passport which is valid for one year, and the Officer said I could expect my Conditional Permanent Resident card in the mail in 5-7 months.

I'll post in more detail later about exactly what happened during the interview, and if anyone has questions I'll be glad to answer them.

[EDIT] Wah, the typo in my thread title looks stupid and I can't delete this thread. Never mind. Below is the cover letter (with names, etc. changed to protect the cautious) we attached to the evidence we presented at the interview to prove our marriage is valid. Hopefully it will help someone with their upcoming I-485 interview.

NAME

ADDRESS

October 4th, 2004

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services
Philadelphia District Office
1600 Callowhill Street
Philadelphia, PA 19130

Case Type: I-485 Application to Adjust to Permanent Resident Status
Applicant: Husband

To Whom It May Concern:

Enclosed please find evidence supporting the validity of the marriage of Husband to the U.S. citizen Wife.

Contents include:

1. Signed statement regarding validity of photocopies.

2. Photocopy of notarized 2003 Tax Return filed jointly by Wife and Husband.

3. Sworn statement from the parents of Wife, attesting to the legitimacy of the marriage.

4. Color photocopies of photos of Husband and Wife together - all photos taken on 5/5/2003, the day of the wedding, or later.

5. Photocopy of employer-based life insurance form signed and submitted by Wife, indicating Husband as the primary beneficiary.

6. Photocopy of first and last page of the Residential Rental Lease Agreement signed by Wife and her landlord in February 2003, approximately one month before Husband arrived in the U.S. Accordingly, the accompanying Landlord Protect Police Check is dated 2/21/2003. When approached after Husband's arrival in the U.S., the landlord informed us that as a recent immigrant to the U.S., Husband would be unlikely to pass the Credit Check required to add his name to the Lease. Therefore, the Lease has not been altered since it was signed.

7. Photocopies of Bank Statements showing that Wife and Husband have maintained a Joint Checking Account since before 5/16/2003, and that they have maintained a Joint Savings Account since before 2/29/2004. Also included is evidence of a telegraphic transfer from Husband to Wife in February 2003, and evidence of funds transfers from the mother of Husband into the Joint Checking Account of Wife and Husband in November 2003 and in July 2004. For some unknown reason, the bank sends notification of funds transfers to Wife’s previous address.

8. Photocopies of Verizon phone bills in the name of Wife and Husband dated between 4/16/03 and 9/16/04. Also included is evidence that various Verizon phone bills in the name of Wife and Husband have been paid online using the Visa Check Card of Husband with the last four digits of ****. The Visa Check card is, of course, attached to the Joint Checking Account of Wife and Husband.

9. Photocopies of parcels and letters sent to Wife and Husband by his mother.

10. Photocopies of receipts, bills and received letters addressed to either Husband or Wife.

11. Photocopies of the inside of cards sent to Wife and/or Husband after they were married by the parents of Wife, the paternal Grandmother of Wife, the late maternal Grandparents of Husband, and by the mother of Husband.

Very truly yours,

Last edited by Feanor; Oct 5th 2004 at 2:22 pm.
Old Oct 5th 2004, 2:25 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Succesful I-485 interview today in Philadelphia!

Congratulations on your approval. Nice to have that part over and done with isn't it?

Could you post your Philly experience on the interview page on Kamya? The link is below my name. You can cut and past so you don't have to retype the entire thing.

Rete

Originally Posted by Feanor
Just want to let anyone who is interested know that my wife and I attended our I-485 interview today in Philadelphia and got approved without any hassle by a nice Immigration Officer. I got the I-551 stamp in my passport which is valid for one year, and the Officer said I could expect my Conditional Permanent Resident card in the mail in 5-7 months.

I'll post in more detail later about exactly what happened during the interview, and if anyone has questions I'll be glad to answer them.

[EDIT] Wah, the typo in my thread title looks stupid and I can't delete this thread. Never mind. Below is the cover letter (with names, etc. changed to protect the cautious) we attached to the evidence we presented at the interview to prove our marriage is valid. Hopefully it will help someone with their upcoming I-485 interview.

NAME

ADDRESS

October 4th, 2004

1600 Callowhill Street
Philadelphia, PA 19130

To Whom It May Concern:

Enclosed please find evidence supporting the validity of the marriage of Husband to the U.S. citizen Wife.

Contents include:

3. Sworn statement from the parents of Wife, attesting to the legitimacy of the marriage.

4. Color photocopies of photos of Husband and Wife together - all photos taken on 5/5/2003, the day of the wedding, or later.

5. Photocopy of employer-based life insurance form signed and submitted by Wife, indicating Husband as the primary beneficiary.

6. Photocopy of first and last page of the Residential Rental Lease Agreement signed by Wife and her landlord in February 2003, approximately one month before Husband arrived in the U.S. Accordingly, the accompanying Landlord Protect Police Check is dated 2/21/2003. When approached after Husband's arrival in the U.S., the landlord informed us that as a recent immigrant to the U.S., Husband would be unlikely to pass the Credit Check required to add his name to the Lease. Therefore, the Lease has not been altered since it was signed.

7. Photocopies of Bank Statements showing that Wife and Husband have maintained a Joint Checking Account since before 5/16/2003, and that they have maintained a Joint Savings Account since before 2/29/2004. Also included is evidence of a telegraphic transfer from Husband to Wife in February 2003, and evidence of funds transfers from the mother of Husband into the Joint Checking Account of Wife and Husband in November 2003 and in July 2004. For some unknown reason, the bank sends notification of funds transfers to Wife’s previous address.

8. Photocopies of Verizon phone bills in the name of Wife and Husband dated between 4/16/03 and 9/16/04. Also included is evidence that various Verizon phone bills in the name of Wife and Husband have been paid online using the Visa Check Card of Husband with the last four digits of ****. The Visa Check card is, of course, attached to the Joint Checking Account of Wife and Husband.

10. Photocopies of receipts, bills and received letters addressed to either Husband or Wife.

11. Photocopies of the inside of cards sent to Wife and/or Husband after they were married by the parents of Wife, the paternal Grandmother of Wife, the late maternal Grandparents of Husband, and by the mother of Husband.

Very truly yours,
Old Oct 7th 2004, 3:02 am
Forum Regular

Feanor is an unknown quantity at this point

Here are the details of our AOS interview.:

The interview was scheduled for 3:30 p.m., and we entered the Philadelphia Immigration Service building shortly after 2:30 p.m. After going thru the metal detectors we went up on the lift to the third floor and quickly found the Room 300 mentioned on the interview letter. We went up to the counter and handed over the letter, and we were told to take a seat. At 3:40 p.m. one of the Immigration Officers called my name and wife and I followed him towards his office.

Before we got to his office he fingerprinted my right index finger twice and had me sign my name twice on a form. My signature came out funny because you have to sign within a little plastic box. I was carrying a cardboard box of evidence and he jokingly asked me if it was a present for him. So things went well from the start.

The Officer asked us how we met to start with, and we told him we we met online in February 2000 in the forums for a videogame we both owned. He ended up asking us quite a few questions relating to videogames over the rest of the interview. He asked us when we met in person and my wife told him we first met in New Zealand on August 27, 2002. It was actually August 30, 2002, but I said she probably flew out of America on the 27th and the Officer smiled at that. Sometimes he would direct questions just to me or my wife.

It was hard not to laugh when he asked all the formal questions about whether I had comitted genocide or polygamy, but I think I kept my "No's" devoid of giggles. My wife made under 125% of the poverty line in 2001, and he asked her if she worked a fully year that year. We explained she was between jobs for two months that year. He asked us for our 2003 tax return where my wife made $25,000 and a letter from her current employer, and after looking at them he seemed content with the financial side of things. He asked my wife is she liked her current job and she was able to honestly say yes. I did not have a job letter, so I explained about my troubles in getting another work permit this year. We brought an I-864 from my father-in-law who was our co-spnsor but that never came up.

He asked for the I-94 form they stapled in my passport when I entered America. I told him an Officer at the Delaware INS took it out and included it with my I-485 application when I submitted it in person last year. A few minutes later he found it in my file so that was nice. It didn't take long for him to start saying that I was approved for Conditional Permanent Residency so we were all pleased. He had us both sign a form twice that he also signed that explained how to apply to remove the conditions using the I-751 form. After that he asked to see the folder of evidence we had brought proving were were really married. He flicked thru it for a bit, asking us where some of the photos were taken. He said even though he had alrady approved us, it was good we brought a lot of evidence along just in case.

So I now have the I-551 stamp in my passport and we don't have to bother with the INS till July 2006.

Last edited by Feanor; Oct 7th 2004 at 3:06 am.
Old Oct 7th 2004, 3:13 am
BE Forum Addict

dutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations on your approval....
Old Oct 7th 2004, 4:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Nevada b4 California b4 Colorado b4 Valley of plastic and sand, b4 London
veryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations!

Originally Posted by Feanor

NAME

ADDRESS

October 4th, 2004

1600 Callowhill Street
Philadelphia, PA 19130

To Whom It May Concern:

Contents include:

Very truly yours,
Old Oct 7th 2004, 5:18 am
Forum Regular

Rukhie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by veryfunny
Congratulations!

Congrats!!!
Old Oct 8th 2004, 5:54 am
foxy little minx

bequibar is a glorious beacon of lightbequibar is a glorious beacon of lightbequibar is a glorious beacon of lightbequibar is a glorious beacon of lightbequibar is a glorious beacon of lightbequibar is a glorious beacon of lightbequibar is a glorious beacon of lightbequibar is a glorious beacon of lightbequibar is a glorious beacon of lightbequibar is a glorious beacon of lightbequibar is a glorious beacon of light

Congratulations!!!

And thanks for the detailed experience!

A few otehr Philly couples will be going through this in the next few months, including us, so we appreciate this
Old Oct 8th 2004, 6:21 am
Cool Member

USA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations!!!

Marnee
Old Oct 8th 2004, 9:05 am
Bharat

Default Re: Succesful I-485 interview

Hi there,

Can someone tell me what exactly the AFFIDAVIT in point 3 below should
say???
I am looking for the exact format if any one knows.

Point 3 is this:

"Sworn statement from the parents of Wife, attesting to the
legitimacy of the marriage"

Thanks.

veryfunny <member13739@british_expats.com> wrote in message news:<[email protected] om>...
    > > Just want to let anyone who is interested know that my wife and I
    > > attended our I-485 interview today in Philadelphia and got approved
    > > without any hassle by a nice Immigration Officer. I got the I-551
    > > stamp in my passport which is valid for one year, and the Officer said
    > > I could expect my Conditional Permanent Resident card in the mail in
    > > 5-7 months.
    > >
    > > I'll post in more detail later about exactly what happened during the
    > > interview, and if anyone has questions I'll be glad to answer them.
    > >
    > > [EDIT] Wah, the typo in my thread title looks stupid and I can't
    > > delete this thread. Never mind. Below is the cover letter (with
    > > names, etc. changed to protect the cautious) we attached to the
    > > evidence we presented at the interview to prove our marriage is valid.
    > > Hopefully it will help someone with their upcoming I-485 interview.
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > NAME
    > >
    > > ADDRESS
    > >
    > > October 4th, 2004
    > >
    > > U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services
    > > Philadelphia District Office
    > > 1600 Callowhill Street
    > > Philadelphia, PA 19130
    > >
    > > Case Type: I-485 Application to Adjust to Permanent Resident Status
    > > Applicant: Husband
    > >
    > >
    > > To Whom It May Concern:
    > >
    > > Enclosed please find evidence supporting the validity of the marriage
    > > of Husband to the U.S. citizen Wife.
    > >
    > > Contents include:
    > >
    > > 1. Signed statement regarding validity of photocopies.
    > >
    > > 2. Photocopy of notarized 2003 Tax Return filed jointly by Wife and
    > > Husband.
    > >
    > > 3. Sworn statement from the parents of Wife, attesting to the
    > > legitimacy of the marriage.
    > >
    > > 4. Color photocopies of photos of Husband and Wife together - all
    > > photos taken on 5/5/2003, the day of the wedding, or later.
    > >
    > > 5. Photocopy of employer-based life insurance form signed and
    > > submitted by Wife, indicating Husband as the primary beneficiary.
    > >
    > > 6. Photocopy of first and last page of the Residential Rental Lease
    > > Agreement signed by Wife and her landlord in February 2003,
    > > approximately one month before Husband arrived in the U.S.
    > > Accordingly, the accompanying Landlord Protect Police Check is
    > > dated 2/21/2003. When approached after Husband's arrival in the
    > > U.S., the landlord informed us that as a recent immigrant to the
    > > U.S., Husband would be unlikely to pass the Credit Check required
    > > to add his name to the Lease. Therefore, the Lease has not been
    > > altered since it was signed.
    > >
    > > 7. Photocopies of Bank Statements showing that Wife and Husband have
    > > maintained a Joint Checking Account since before 5/16/2003, and
    > > that they have maintained a Joint Savings Account since before
    > > 2/29/2004. Also included is evidence of a telegraphic transfer
    > > from Husband to Wife in February 2003, and evidence of funds
    > > transfers from the mother of Husband into the Joint Checking
    > > Account of Wife and Husband in November 2003 and in July 2004.
    > > For some unknown reason, the bank sends notification of funds
    > > transfers to Wife?s previous address.
    > >
    > > 8. Photocopies of Verizon phone bills in the name of Wife and Husband
    > > dated between 4/16/03 and 9/16/04. Also included is evidence that
    > > various Verizon phone bills in the name of Wife and Husband have
    > > been paid online using the Visa Check Card of Husband with the
    > > last four digits of ****. The Visa Check card is, of course,
    > > attached to the Joint Checking Account of Wife and Husband.
    > >
    > > 9. Photocopies of parcels and letters sent to Wife and Husband by his
    > > mother.
    > >
    > > 10. Photocopies of receipts, bills and received letters addressed to
    > > either Husband or Wife.
    > >
    > > 11. Photocopies of the inside of cards sent to Wife and/or Husband
    > > after they were married by the parents of Wife, the paternal
    > > Grandmother of Wife, the late maternal Grandparents of Husband,
    > > and by the mother of Husband.
    > >