Wikiposts

Studying on H4

Old Jul 12th 2001, 8:04 am
Eance

Hi I have an 18 year old who is on a H4 visa. He wants to enroll at the local tech
college and take some vocational courses this year. Will he have to change his H4 and
if so to what? Also, he has been told there is a visa for further education that
would allow him to work part time while studying (not an in-school job) Does any one
know which visa this is, the requirements and how many hours he would be able to work
if approved?

Thanks Chris

Old Jul 13th 2001, 4:51 am
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Your son can go to college on a H4 visa. I, myself have a H4 and have taken a couple of courses at the local community college.

Make sure you inquire about the fees, at the college I attended I had to pay out-of-state tuition because I am neither a US Citizen or a permanent resident.

The other visas you mentioned may be the F or M visas, you can find information about these at:
http://www.travel.state.gov/visa;foreignstuden.html

Sue
Old Jul 13th 2001, 11:12 am
Sylvia Ottemoeller

Eance wrote:

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Sue gave you a good answer about going to school in H-4 status.

The usual student visa for academic programs is F-1. In F-1 status, there are various
possibilities for employment authorization both on-campus and off-campus. To be
eligible for almost all types of off-campus work authorization, the F-1 status holder
must attend school full-time for at least nine months. Schools usually have some
guidance on their websites about this issue. See
http://www.isso.cornell.edu/immigration/f1empl.html, for example.