Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Student Visa via Consultant or ... ?

Student Visa via Consultant or ... ?

Old Nov 26th 2011, 11:09 am
Forum Regular

FairyTale is just really niceFairyTale is just really niceFairyTale is just really niceFairyTale is just really niceFairyTale is just really niceFairyTale is just really niceFairyTale is just really niceFairyTale is just really nice
Question Student Visa via Consultant or ... ?

hi everyone

I am thinking of doing MBA from USA. What I want to ask here is:

1- Should I go thru a consultant and let him do everything for me?

Or should I do the whole thing myself?

I have heard that American Emabassy would like if you do it urself and not take help from consultants. true?

2- Secondly I have spoken to a consultant here, just for the sake of information etc, and he told me that he will apply in the Unis, prepare my file, attach all required documents etc, but at the time of submitting my file in embassy, it would be "better" if I apply for the visa from my home country i.e. Pakistan and not from Abu Dhabi (UAE). I asked him why? He said chances of acceptance are more from home country. When i discussed this with my friend, he said, that doesnt seem right.

I am confused now.

The consultant firm that i have contacted is a recongnized one here, and have been in this field for quite many yrs. Should i doubt their expertise?

by the way let me tell you that i am not married (never married) and living in UAE on my own. My parents are back in home.
Old Nov 26th 2011, 1:51 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Student Visa via Consultant or ... ?

You should never use a "consultant" for immigration. If you need help, you should only use an Immigration Attorney who has experience in what you are trying to do (in your case, US student visas).

If you have beeen accepted at a US university and have the I-20 form, I believe it's fairly easy to do the visa application on your own. But, since you are living in the Middle East and you are originally from Pakistan, you might have a bit more difficulty proving your case, so might be worth having a consultation with an Immigration Attorney to go over your case.

People typically apply for visas in their home country, unless they are resident in a different country. You don't say what your status is in UAE. What are you doing in UAE? How long have you lived there? What is your plan for returning home at the end of your studies? Can you fund your entire time as a student in the USA on your own? You will need to show you have the funds to do that, up front, including tuition, books, and living expenses.

It's also possible you could get put into Admin Processing which can take a very long time, so be prepared to go through the whole visa process and still miss the deadline for starting school in the USA.

Rene
Old Nov 26th 2011, 1:57 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I just read your past posts and see that you're working in UAE for the past 8 years. In that case, I'd say yes, you can apply for the student visa there in UAE. At least try there first. Keep in mind that UAE has the right to ask you to apply from your home country, but it can't hurt to apply from UAE first and see if they can accommodate you.

Rene
Old Nov 26th 2011, 4:42 pm
Forum Regular

FairyTale is just really niceFairyTale is just really niceFairyTale is just really niceFairyTale is just really niceFairyTale is just really niceFairyTale is just really niceFairyTale is just really niceFairyTale is just really nice

Originally Posted by Noorah101
I just read your past posts and see that you're working in UAE for the past 8 years. In that case, I'd say yes, you can apply for the student visa there in UAE. At least try there first. Keep in mind that UAE has the right to ask you to apply from your home country, but it can't hurt to apply from UAE first and see if they can accommodate you.

Rene
Hi Noorah thank you so much for the response.

yes i am here in UAE from past more than 8yrs. Actually i ll complete my nine yrs in Jan 2012. No issues if I apply from the embassay over here but I was denied Business and visit visa in past so i am kinda afraid of the embassy here . I feel they will deny my application everytime. i know it is silly to think like that.

Yes I will arrange money for my tuition. Actually i have a small property back in Pakistan which i am selling for this purpose. Plus my father is ready to sponsor me in case of any financial difficulties. I will have the sponsorship letter from him.

What i want to do after my studies: I have two options: 1- go back to home and find a job there. 2. come back to UAE and either find a new job or join my old employer back. my chances of securing a good job after my degree from US are high in both cases 1 and 2.

Regarding the consultant thing. The guy i met is the Business development Manager in an immigration company.
Old Nov 26th 2011, 5:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Two things.

Originally Posted by FairyTale
Plus my father is ready to sponsor me in case of any financial difficulties. I will have the sponsorship letter from him.
This probably won't help unless you are a dependent (as in 18 to ~22, "normal" college age) which it sounds like you aren't.

Regarding the consultant thing. The guy i met is the Business development Manager in an immigration company.
Unless it is an immigration law firm then be very skeptical. Immigration companies are, in general, able to take your money but not give much (if anything) in return.
Old Nov 26th 2011, 5:55 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
Two things.

This probably won't help unless you are a dependent (as in 18 to ~22, "normal" college age) which it sounds like you aren't.

Unless it is an immigration law firm then be very skeptical. Immigration companies are, in general, able to take your money but not give much (if anything) in return.
hmmmm..... this guy has asked me $2000 for his services.
Old Nov 26th 2011, 6:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
I disagree. The OP will need to show that she has sufficient assets to cover the entire cost of his tuition and her stay in the US - an affidavit of support from her father (along with supporting financial documents) is a perfectly reasonable way to help her meet that requirement regardless of her age.

I would be much more concerned about the OP's previous visa refusals, and the reason for them. She has to overcome the presumption of immigrant intent to get an F-1 and it sounds as if that may be an issue.

Last edited by md95065; Nov 26th 2011 at 6:31 pm.
Old Nov 26th 2011, 6:47 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

hi everyone

2- Secondly I have spoken to a consultant here, just for the sake of information etc, and he told me that he will apply in the Unis, prepare my file, attach all required documents etc,
Does this mean that you don't have a specific university in mind, that he is going to apply to various universities on your behalf and see what transpires, and will then apply for the visa for you? If that is so, I think you will be far more likely to get a place at the uni if you research the appropriate one for the course you wish to take and then "do it yourself." And apologies if I misunderstood your post.
Old Nov 26th 2011, 8:20 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

That'd be a good price for an immigration attorney. If the person isn't an immigration attorney, then it's $2000 too much.

Ian
Old Nov 26th 2011, 9:21 pm

avanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond repute

1- Should I go thru a consultant and let him do everything for me?

Or should I do the whole thing myself?
Who is more likely to make absolutely certain that everything is processed properly - the person who desires to improve their life through higher education in America, or the person who will get paid $2000 regardless of whether or not the other person is accepted to an American university?
Old Nov 26th 2011, 11:12 pm

A Business Development Manager is not the same thing as an Immigration Attorney (even if the BDM works in an immigration attorney's office).

ONLY take advice and pay for the services of a real Immigration Attorney...NOT a Business Development Manager.

Rene
Old Nov 27th 2011, 3:48 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by md95065
I disagree. The OP will need to show that she has sufficient assets to cover the entire cost of his tuition and her stay in the US - an affidavit of support from her father (along with supporting financial documents) is a perfectly reasonable way to help her meet that requirement regardless of her age.

I would be much more concerned about the OP's previous visa refusals, and the reason for them. She has to overcome the presumption of immigrant intent to get an F-1 and it sounds as if that may be an issue.
Well previously I had applied for Business Visa once (to take a training course at IAITAM). My salary was not that good, plus I had transferred some funds from my sister's account to mine. May be that unusual amount in my account made them doubtful.

Second time i had applied for visit visa, when my sister was travelling with her family for vacation. I was denied, do not know for actually what reasons but that lady in the embassy only saw my employment letter and bank statement. She didnt look at my other documents. She said she thinks I do not intend to come back. hmmm ... I was the last person in the lounge and may be she wanted to get rid of me so she could go home on time lol. just kidding ;-)
Old Nov 27th 2011, 3:53 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
Does this mean that you don't have a specific university in mind, that he is going to apply to various universities on your behalf and see what transpires, and will then apply for the visa for you? If that is so, I think you will be far more likely to get a place at the uni if you research the appropriate one for the course you wish to take and then "do it yourself." And apologies if I misunderstood your post.
Well what happens is these consultants have their own few Unis listed, with whom they do business. So it is easy for them to process the applications thru those 3-4 Unis only. I told him that I have done my own research and selected 3 Unis which I liked the most coz of the curriculum they are offering plus they are affordable for me. So I want to apply in those Unis. He said he will consider them too. Not sure if he was serious.
Old Nov 27th 2011, 3:54 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by avanutria
Who is more likely to make absolutely certain that everything is processed properly - the person who desires to improve their life through higher education in America, or the person who will get paid $2000 regardless of whether or not the other person is accepted to an American university?
Yeah i know. I have decided that I am going to do it on my own - Thank you.
Old Nov 27th 2011, 4:06 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Noorah101
A Business Development Manager is not the same thing as an Immigration Attorney (even if the BDM works in an immigration attorney's office).

ONLY take advice and pay for the services of a real Immigration Attorney...NOT a Business Development Manager.

Rene
The only reason I went to the consultant was coz as I said I am kinda afraid of this embassy now lol. I mean I have no intentions to be there in US for long time. I really cannot live so far away for so long. The reason why I want a degree from US is that the economy is slow worldwide. I do not see any professional and financial growth in my firm for at least next 2-3yrs. Already in the past 3 yrs we have got the minimum annual increments. I have tried to find new job but that has not worked so far. It is hard to find a "new" and "better" job. So i thought might as well I upgrade my education during this slow economy period. I can do it now since I am single and have no family liabilities. US education is very much valuable. actually hands down it is on the top. I am sure that the degree will give boost to my career and make further career path easier.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.