Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Student visa for a person with disabilities

Student visa for a person with disabilities

Old Mar 4th 2023, 1:10 am
Forum Regular

TOM_1900 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Student visa for a person with disabilities

Hi folks, It's really nice to be here

I'm 32, have both Israeli and Portuguese nationality.

I need help with finding an institute and getting a student visa, I want to know what my options are.

I need a face to face course, I suffer from sleep disorder, ADHD, learning disabilities, Anxiety, dyscalculia and cetra, so I'm looking for an evening course only that doesn't require math/statistics at any point and that is suitable for my health conditions.

Before you ask / suggest - unfortunately, there ain't a suitable institute for me in Israel, Australia or in Europe, And I'm looking for English speaking countries / studies only.

I've been working as a rehabilitation counselor for 3 years in my country, no formal education. I have 12 years education, partial GED, not full. I would really want to continue with the social work, whatever I'll do and whenever I'll be.

I understand there's also some few free colleges in the US for internationals.

I'm looking to study a bachelor/diploma/certificate in treatment fields : psychology, community service, counseling, social work and cetra.

I'll be really happy to hear if you can help me and offer me something.

Thank you very much

Last edited by TOM_1900; Mar 4th 2023 at 1:18 am.
Old Mar 5th 2023, 7:19 pm
Just Joined

DallasMama is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Student visa for a person with disabilities

Well for starters you won’t be able to get a GED, let alone a Bachelor’s Degree without taking math classes. Colleges here do not have to other accommodations for people with disabilities such as ADHD, you have to ask for the accommodations. And I find it unlikely that you can’t find a suitable school in Europe or Israel but believe you would in the US.
What is your end goal? How do you plan on financially supporting yourself in the US?
Old Mar 5th 2023, 8:24 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by DallasMama
Well for starters you won’t be able to get a GED, let alone a Bachelor’s Degree without taking math classes. Colleges here do not have to other accommodations for people with disabilities such as ADHD, you have to ask for the accommodations. And I find it unlikely that you can’t find a suitable school in Europe or Israel but believe you would in the US.
What is your end goal? How do you plan on financially supporting yourself in the US?

Thanks.

First of all - you've got to believe me that I've searched every English speaking country in the world (including Germany which ain't).

Israel does have accommodations and is considered kind of liberal in this matter, but evening classes in the uni or certificate / diplomas in the treatment field don't exist. If one of these things were possible- I would have studied for free in my native language, Israel is a totally morning oriented education system unfortunately. No part time in therapy degrees.

About the US - I've read and got a recommendation from an American - it seems that actually there are specific colleges and universities with people with disabilities including ADHD, autism and certa. I literally saw their websites,

About math- i've been thinking about it in the last days, i'm really depressed with my situation, i decided that i'm willing to give it another chance, as long as it is in a very supportive institute and as part of my studies / pre college program.

My main goal - simple. I want to be a therapist in some way, that's what I love and am good at. I don't mind if it be as a counselor or every similar profession. It doesn't have to be a degree.

About the financing - that is a tricky part in the US - I know it's super rare, but my intention is to find a free / cheap college / scholarship and work legally 20 hours a week in college. Also - in a cheap US city and not an expensive one.

Do you have something creative to offer me? except the morning issue - I'm willing to do anything to study, anything.
Old Mar 6th 2023, 12:13 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TOM_1900
Thanks.

First of all - you've got to believe me that I've searched every English speaking country in the world (including Germany which ain't).

Israel does have accommodations and is considered kind of liberal in this matter, but evening classes in the uni or certificate / diplomas in the treatment field don't exist. If one of these things were possible- I would have studied for free in my native language, Israel is a totally morning oriented education system unfortunately. No part time in therapy degrees.

About the US - I've read and got a recommendation from an American - it seems that actually there are specific colleges and universities with people with disabilities including ADHD, autism and certa. I literally saw their websites,

About math- i've been thinking about it in the last days, i'm really depressed with my situation, i decided that i'm willing to give it another chance, as long as it is in a very supportive institute and as part of my studies / pre college program.

My main goal - simple. I want to be a therapist in some way, that's what I love and am good at. I don't mind if it be as a counselor or every similar profession. It doesn't have to be a degree.

About the financing - that is a tricky part in the US - I know it's super rare, but my intention is to find a free / cheap college / scholarship and work legally 20 hours a week in college. Also - in a cheap US city and not an expensive one.

Do you have something creative to offer me? except the morning issue - I'm willing to do anything to study, anything.
Could I suggest that if you have seen the websites for these colleges, that you contact them direct and see what they say?
Old Mar 6th 2023, 12:37 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Could I suggest that if you have seen the websites for these colleges, that you contact them direct and see what they say?
Yes, already done. I think I’ve contacted like 100 American institutions and I’m sure there’s more I didn’t discover yet. The abundance of institutions over there is just unbelievable.

Old Mar 6th 2023, 4:30 am
LT1
Forum Regular

LT1 has a reputation beyond reputeLT1 has a reputation beyond reputeLT1 has a reputation beyond reputeLT1 has a reputation beyond reputeLT1 has a reputation beyond reputeLT1 has a reputation beyond reputeLT1 has a reputation beyond reputeLT1 has a reputation beyond reputeLT1 has a reputation beyond reputeLT1 has a reputation beyond reputeLT1 has a reputation beyond repute

I’m sorry to be downbeat, but I think your chances of finding such a specialized evening-only full-time face-face school, at no/v low cost, who’ll sponsor your visa, and you’ll support yourself financially on 20hrs per week work, is extraordinarily extremely unlikely.

There are some fantastic schools across Europe, which you have far easier access to with your PT passport. You say you’ve looked into many, but keep looking, and perhaps engage professional help. But in my limited knowledge, the US is almost a non-starter given your requirements. Sorry.
Old Mar 10th 2023, 9:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

shiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond repute

This sort of thing may well exist in the US but it will almost certainly be a private institution and cost many thousands of dollars.

Considering how rare free higher education is in the US for citizens and permanent residents, and consider how unusual that is vs the rest of the world - I'm sorry buddy, what you're looking for is not going to happen.

The final thing to say is that immigration matters into the US can be mentally torturous. There are so many stories of misery here, some unfounded but others less so. This is not a path I would walk without starting from a comfortable place in life and having a reasonable back up plan or safety net should it not pan out.
Old Mar 10th 2023, 9:10 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by shiversaint
This sort of thing may well exist in the US but it will almost certainly be a private institution and cost many thousands of dollars.

Considering how rare free higher education is in the US for citizens and permanent residents, and consider how unusual that is vs the rest of the world - I'm sorry buddy, what you're looking for is not going to happen.

The final thing to say is that immigration matters into the US can be mentally torturous. There are so many stories of misery here, some unfounded but others less so. This is not a path I would walk without starting from a comfortable place in life and having a reasonable back up plan or safety net should it not pan out.
Thanks for your input.

Actually, it’s seems now surprisingly, that my only option will be in the UK. The fees are high, but not insanely high like in the US, there’s some pre college programs I’ve been offered for my condition, I’ve found 1 uni that offers evening degrees also for international, and generally, I really love your country and people and it’s seems from the emails that the institutions there are more eager to help me.

And of curse it’s much more close and comfortable for me to arrive there/ come back home if i need to.
Old Mar 18th 2023, 4:38 pm
Forum Regular

Hi dear friends,

Just giving an update - my luck is that I'm never giving up on achieving my goals. I'm in the process of looking for a place to study in London/US /Australia, and for now. I've managed to find an evening uni, also for internationals with student visas! it's called - Birkbeck.

I've probably managed to find more institutes that are similar to this in my 3 preferred countries - UK, Australia and US.

I'll keep you guys posted.

Thanks.
Old Mar 22nd 2023, 1:49 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TOM_1900
Hi folks, It's really nice to be here  I'm 32, have both Israeli and Portuguese nationality. I need help with finding an institute and getting a student visa, I want to know what my options are. I need a face to face course, I suffer from sleep disorder, ADHD, learning disabilities, Anxiety, dyscalculia et cetera, so
Your mental/ medical issues alone should cause you to cross the US off your list - the cost of medical insurance in the US, and non-covered medical expenses, are high, almost certainly the highest in the world, and treatment for mental issues is patchy at best, and often not covered by medical insurance.
Old Mar 22nd 2023, 1:51 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Your mental/ medical issues alone should cause you to cross the US off your list - the cost of medical insurance in the US, and non-covered medical expenses, are high, almost certainly the highest in the world, and treatment for mental issues is patchy at best, and often not covered by medical insurance.

Thank you for that.