Wikiposts

Student to marry.

Old Aug 22nd 2004, 4:28 am
Just Joined

jezebelseven is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Student to marry.

My fiance(English) and I(American) had intended, but not filed yet, to get married on a K1 visa. Recently, he has decided to go to university there for a year at first, and the tentative plan was to start filing for the K1 while he is in school at Kent.

It was recently mentioned to us that we may actually have an easier time getting him here on a student visa for the next school year.

However, we've not planned at all for going the student visa route, so we're basically back at step one. (So, any links that are helpful to people trying to get student visas here to the US from the UK are appreciated!)

Right now, our biggest question is, once he is here on a student visa, is there any legal way for us to get married, or do we have to file a K1 after he is done with his schooling? Is it as simple as an adjustment of status, or? Our original intent is not for him to come here for the marriage only, we do know however, that in the future, we would like to be together for the rest of our lives, here in the US.

Any help would be great, links, whatever you may be able to give us. Thanks all.
Old Aug 23rd 2004, 4:19 am
BE Enthusiast

LucyMO has a spectacular aura aboutLucyMO has a spectacular aura aboutLucyMO has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Student to marry.

yes, once he is on a student visa here for a while, give it at least several months to a year (you can get married right away, but wait to file the immigration papers for a while, so it doesn't look like he had preconceived immigrant intent), and then file for adjustment of status. Good luck.

or simply go the K1 way or K3 way.
Old Aug 23rd 2004, 4:53 am
Just Joined

jezebelseven is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by LucyMO
yes, once he is on a student visa here for a while, give it at least several months to a year (you can get married right away, but wait to file the immigration papers for a while, so it doesn't look like he had preconceived immigrant intent), and then file for adjustment of status. Good luck.

or simply go the K1 way or K3 way.
Great. We were hoping we could wait to get married for at least a year, give being together more often a chance, we do get along wonderfully but we're lucky to see each other twice a year for two weeks at a time. We're not in a rush to get married, but at the time we started researching, it seemed like the only option. I think us being able to wait, while still being able to be together in person, is going to be a relief to our familys, as well as ourselves a bit.

What we were afraid of was that we'd have to get married while he was here on the student visa, then he'd have to go all the way home, and then wait for the k3, or even the k1 if we didn't get married.
Old Aug 24th 2004, 4:40 am
Amanda

jezebelseven <member28079@british_expats.com> wrote in message news:<[email protected] om>...
    > > yes, once he is on a student visa here for a while, give it at least
    > > several months to a year (you can get married right away, but wait to
    > > file the immigration papers for a while, so it doesn't look like he
    > > had preconceived immigrant intent), and then file for adjustment of
    > > status. Good luck.
    > >
    > > or simply go the K1 way or K3 way.
    >
    > Great. We were hoping we could wait to get married for at least a year,
    > give being together more often a chance, we do get along wonderfully but
    > we're lucky to see each other twice a year for two weeks at a time. We'-
    > re not in a rush to get married, but at the time we started researching,
    > it seemed like the only option. I think us being able to wait, while st-
    > ill being able to be together in person, is going to be a relief to our
    > familys, as well as ourselves a bit.
    >
    > What we were afraid of was that we'd have to get married while he was
    > here on the student visa, then he'd have to go all the way home, and th-
    > en wait for the k3, or even the k1 if we didn't get married.

I say do K1 or K3, and once he is inside, you marry and file I-130 and
I-485. not only that he can attend college, after residing for 1 year,
he can get instate tuition fees. Once his greencard is approved, he
can get financial aid too.