Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Strange happenings at immigration LAX!

Strange happenings at immigration LAX!

Old Jun 20th 2012, 9:36 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Strange happenings at immigration LAX!

I flew Bristol to Newark on a Continental 757 once. That was one uncomfortable flight. Washington has got to be right on the limit of the 57's range. Landing on fumes! (plus reserves obviously)
Old Jun 20th 2012, 9:45 pm
Are we there yet?

Trixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
The Arctic is an ocean
Well played.... but you knew what I meant...
Old Jun 20th 2012, 9:45 pm
Forum Regular

helpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by civilservant
Never flown Singapore, to be honest all International flights usually have alternatives (I'm abit of a BA snob )
Oh no, why?! Many of the big name airlines are much better! Agreed: Singapore, Malaysian, Cathay, Emirates for Asian airlines but also Middle Eastern: Etihad, Qatar... Really love Virgin for flying over to the US.
Old Jun 20th 2012, 9:51 pm
Just Joined

samliffe is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by helpmeplease123
Oh no, why?! Many of the big name airlines are much better! Agreed: Singapore, Malaysian, Cathay, Emirates for Asian airlines but also Middle Eastern: Etihad, Qatar... Really love Virgin for flying over to the US.
We flew American, I've read Virgin use 747's and will use the 787 along with Widebody Airbus'. So bigger ones. 757's are probably best used for US internal flights and not Trans-Atlantic ones!
Old Jun 20th 2012, 10:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Trixie_b
Ermm the shortest way from the UK to west coast America isn't over the ocean, it's over the arctic circle, so the planes fly up over Scotland and over the top of the world.

BTW, many people asked why a plane from London to the US was bought down in Lockerby Scotland when it was bombed.
Never been as far north as the Arctic Circle on that route. One still flies over the Atlantic ocean regardless.

Originally Posted by Fred16
There is even a DFW to Australia direct flight now. That's got to be at least 15 hours. I was stunned years ago when our flight from washington to manchester was on 757.
Pah, a mere piddling 6th on the list! Newark to Singapore at 18h45 average is supposed to be the longest. That's on Singapore Airlines, so my earlier comment about Singapore Airlines makes the trip slightly more bearable... just.
Old Jun 21st 2012, 6:13 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by helpmeplease123
The job I do used to involve alot of travelling, and flights were nearly always booked BA. That said, when any of the UK airlines begin to get their 787s then Ill go with them, because I cant wait to try that bird.

I have to say that going backwards and forwards to Atlanta from LHR is nearly always with Delta. I like the 2-3-2 seating configuration on there 767-400s in cattle class :P
Old Jun 21st 2012, 5:46 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

To actually answer the OP's question - from the CBP inspector's FM:

Documents required: Passport valid for 6 months at time of entry unless exempt. Nonimmigrant visa (L-l) unless exempt. Must have evidence of approved I-129 petition in the form of a notation on the nonimmigrant visa indicating the petition number and employer’s name, or a Notice of Action, Form I-797, indicating approval, unless the applicant is a Canadian citizen. In that case, the alien may file the I-129 at a Canadian pre-flight station or Canadian land border port-of-entry at the time he or she applies for admission. If arriving at an airport without having been inspected preflight, a Canadian applicant must have evidence of petition approval, Form I-797.

Terms of admission: If the alien is otherwise admissible as an individual L-1, admit for validity of petition (up to 3 years initially). If the alien is otherwise admissible as a Blanket L-1, initially admit for 3 years, regardless of the expiration date of the petition, provided the petition is valid at the time of the initial admission. If the alien is seeking readmission as a Blanket L-1, the Blanket Petition is still valid, and the alien is otherwise admissible, admit for an additional three years regardless of the balance of the time left on the original admission. (IN01-06)
The only thing I can think of is that something in the visa notation made him think to put two years on the I-94. I assume you didn't present the approved I-129 or I-797 and just went with the visa.
Old Jun 22nd 2012, 11:47 am
BE Forum Addict

hobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond repute

I did a direct flight London to San Francisco years back.
Old Jun 22nd 2012, 12:32 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hobbes79
Around 20 years ago Virgin flew direct from London to Hawaii.
Old Jun 22nd 2012, 3:47 pm
Just Joined

Steve2.0 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by hobbes79
Last year I flew that route once a month for almost a year until the twins were born. Although it did get silly when on a couple of trips I spent more time in the air than I did on the ground in San Francisco!
Old Jun 22nd 2012, 4:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Around 20 years ago Virgin flew direct from London to Hawaii.
That would most likely have been with a stop somewhere, probably SFO.
Old Jun 22nd 2012, 5:00 pm
Often not so civil...

I've heard of them stopping at DFW on that route too in the past, which seems ridiculously out of the way.