Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Strange happenings at immigration LAX!

Strange happenings at immigration LAX!

Old Jun 19th 2012, 5:00 pm
On The Brink

S_C_P is a name known to allS_C_P is a name known to allS_C_P is a name known to allS_C_P is a name known to allS_C_P is a name known to allS_C_P is a name known to allS_C_P is a name known to allS_C_P is a name known to allS_C_P is a name known to allS_C_P is a name known to allS_C_P is a name known to all
Default Strange happenings at immigration LAX!

Can any one shed some light on this:

I arrived here in the US in January on a L1A 3 year Visa, and all has been well so far. Earlier this month I had to go back to the UK for a business trip. Upon my return when going through immigration at LAX, the officer told me he could only stamp my Visa/Passport for a maximum of 2 years.
So now I have a Visa reading January 2015, the original stamp from when I first arrived reading January 2015 but also a new stamp reading June 2014.
I tried to quiz the officer on this but he just said it was policy. I passed this information to my companies HR department, but they have not come back to me yet.
I was just wondering if anyone else has heard/experienced this?
Old Jun 19th 2012, 9:02 pm
Forum Regular

superkruz has a reputation beyond reputesuperkruz has a reputation beyond reputesuperkruz has a reputation beyond reputesuperkruz has a reputation beyond reputesuperkruz has a reputation beyond reputesuperkruz has a reputation beyond reputesuperkruz has a reputation beyond reputesuperkruz has a reputation beyond reputesuperkruz has a reputation beyond reputesuperkruz has a reputation beyond reputesuperkruz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Strange happenings at immigration LAX!

Originally Posted by S_C_P
I had to go back to the UK for a business trip. Upon my return when going through immigration at LAX....
I'm curious about the route you took as you entered on the West Coast, coming from the UK. I would have thought flights from the UK would enter somewhere on the East Coast, or did you take the looong way around?
Old Jun 19th 2012, 9:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by superkruz
I'm curious about the route you took as you entered on the West Coast, coming from the UK. I would have thought flights from the UK would enter somewhere on the East Coast, or did you take the looong way around?
East coast US is about 8 hours from the UK. West coast is about 12 hours. If you're suggesting flying the long way around then make that about 24 hours to the west coast via somewhere in SE Asia.
Old Jun 19th 2012, 10:02 pm
Forum Regular

helpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to all

There are direct flights from the UK to both East (5 hours for NY) and West Coast (11 hours for LA) and everywhere in between.
Old Jun 19th 2012, 10:06 pm
Forum Regular

superkruz has a reputation beyond reputesuperkruz has a reputation beyond reputesuperkruz has a reputation beyond reputesuperkruz has a reputation beyond reputesuperkruz has a reputation beyond reputesuperkruz has a reputation beyond reputesuperkruz has a reputation beyond reputesuperkruz has a reputation beyond reputesuperkruz has a reputation beyond reputesuperkruz has a reputation beyond reputesuperkruz has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, I didn't realize there were direct flights from London to LA!
Old Jun 19th 2012, 10:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

FlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond repute

Yip. LAX is a stop-over en-route from the UK to New Zealand.
Old Jun 19th 2012, 10:31 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by helpmeplease123
There are direct flights from the UK to both East (5 hours for NY) and West Coast (11 hours for LA) and everywhere in between.
7+ hours from Manchester to NY.
Old Jun 19th 2012, 10:38 pm
Busy at Work

lifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by S_C_P
Can any one shed some light on this:

I arrived here in the US in January on a L1A 3 year Visa, and all has been well so far. Earlier this month I had to go back to the UK for a business trip. Upon my return when going through immigration at LAX, the officer told me he could only stamp my Visa/Passport for a maximum of 2 years.
So now I have a Visa reading January 2015, the original stamp from when I first arrived reading January 2015 but also a new stamp reading June 2014.
I tried to quiz the officer on this but he just said it was policy. I passed this information to my companies HR department, but they have not come back to me yet.
I was just wondering if anyone else has heard/experienced this?
I think a lot has to do with the border agents interpreting things differently/not understanding the details of each visa type well. I'm on a different visa type, but so far in the few times I entered the U.S., I have had my passport stamped in two different ways (Either until the expiration of visa, or two years from the entry date). I wouldn't worry too much if I were you, as next time you leave the U.S. and come back, your passport may be stamped with a later date.
Old Jun 19th 2012, 10:41 pm
Busy at Work

lifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of light

If there are direct flights to the West Coast and that's the final destination, it's better that way anyway, because a connecting flight from the East Coast to the West Coast usually ends up taking 5-6 hours (Instead of say 3-4 hours extra if flying directly from the UK)
Old Jun 20th 2012, 12:21 am
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by helpmeplease123
A bit optimistic: even Boston is 7 hours out, 6h15 back. Are you thinking of the time difference?

I think you need to get a globe out! London to Los Angeles has had direct flights for decades now, well within the range of a loaded 747.
Old Jun 20th 2012, 12:41 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

We have direct flights to London from Denver.
Old Jun 20th 2012, 12:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Jscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond repute

I think we had a very similar situation when we were on an H visa (long time ago). I don't think it has anything to do with "policy" I think it's just the particular border agent not knowing what he's doing... We went back to England the next year and got restamped so it was no big deal, but if you don't intend to leave the country before the new stamped date I think it would be wise to deal with it somehow as these days with everything computerised that date might get into your file (only guessing there)... I just don't know how. It would (did) worry me so I hope your company's HR people know what to do!
Old Jun 20th 2012, 1:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

What

Then take the stagecoach from New York?
Old Jun 20th 2012, 2:14 am
Busy at Work

Originally Posted by Jscl
but if you don't intend to leave the country before the new stamped date I think it would be wise to deal with it somehow as these days with everything computerised that date might get into your file (only guessing there)... I just don't know how.
The I-94 expiration dates are probably logged, but I don't think the border agents base their decisions on past I-94 expiration dates. I have had my passport stamped to a certain date, then with my next entry, it was stamped with an earlier date, then with the third entry, it was with a much later date again.
Old Jun 20th 2012, 2:38 am
Forum Regular

Leyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Boiler
We have direct flights to London from Denver.
I actually prefer it-- back in '08 we flew direct Denver-London and while the experience at Heathrow was a PITA it was much more enjoyable than the return leg of Manchester-O'Hare-Denver.

I wish we had a direct DEN-MAN flight

On an aside-- it will be interesting to see the new DIA terminal with the light rail fully installed from Denver to DIA-- no more I-70 traffic and parking fees-- many years down the road of course.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.