Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Stolen passport with a GC stamp, no GC yet :(

Wikiposts

Stolen passport with a GC stamp, no GC yet :(

Old Aug 12th 2002, 6:10 pm
Olga Chotinun

Default Stolen passport with a GC stamp, no GC yet :(

Hello, everyone! Some friends here are in a very tough situation: They won a GC in a
GC lottery, entered US about 3 weeks ago, but the head of the household signed a
cortact back in his home country with some horrible sweatshop which mistreated him
here in US. His attempts of getting out resulted in them stealing his passport with
I-531 stamp in it. He did not receive a GC in a mail either, has no idea when it is
supposed to arrive, so now he has ZERO documents! Is there anything he can do?

Olga please email: [email protected]

Old Aug 13th 2002, 6:48 am
Sylvia Ottemoeller

Default Re: Stolen passport with a GC stamp, no GC yet :(

Olga Chotinun wrote:

> Some friends here are in a very tough situation: They won a GC in a GC lottery,
    > entered US about 3 weeks ago, but the head of the household signed a cortact back
    > in his home country with some horrible sweatshop which mistreated him here in US.
    > His attempts of getting out resulted in them stealing his passport with I-531 stamp
    > in it. He did not receive a GC in a mail either, has no idea when it is supposed to
    > arrive, so now he has ZERO documents! Is there anything he can do?

First, he should immediately report the theft of the passport to the police, if he
has not done so already.

He should call the nearest consular post of his home country, and start the process
of getting a replacement passport.

He can go the INS district office and get another permanent resident stamp valid for
one year. If he can get some kind of temporary identification from his home country,
he may be able to get the stamp placed on a separate piece of paper at INS, actually
a blank I-94.

I would suggest that he seek the help of the Member of the House of Representatives
for his district in making an attempt to intercept the actual PR card before it is
issued and falls into the hands of bad guys. He should call the local office of his
Congressperson, and ask to speak with a staff member in charge of immigration
inquiries. Here's a handy look-up site: http://congress.nw.dc.us/rollcall/home/.