Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

stole road sign 30 years ago...waiting for visa waiver....should I pay rest of holida

stole road sign 30 years ago...waiting for visa waiver....should I pay rest of holida

Old May 13th 2012, 2:45 pm
Just Joined

dan12345678 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default stole road sign 30 years ago...waiting for visa waiver....should I pay rest of holida

my crime - unconditional discharge 30 years ago for theft of road sign(drunk)...planning family hol in august...deposit paid.....rest required nowish...still no word from HS having gone through all the hoops and embassy interview. any thoughts ....should i cancel...should i pay up. Do you have any experience regarding CIMT and if so what 'crimes' have been waived
thanks for any input

Last edited by dan12345678; May 13th 2012 at 2:55 pm. Reason: comprehension
Old May 13th 2012, 4:10 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: stole road sign 30 years ago...waiting for visa waiver....should I pay rest of ho

Originally Posted by dan12345678
my crime - unconditional discharge 30 years ago for theft of road sign(drunk)...
In a nutshell, theft is a CIMT. Whether or not the crime was discharged, you must declare it when applying for ESTA. If ESTA is denied, you'll need to apply for a B-2 visa... and that's going to take a while (= months, not weeks). The officer reviewing your case will want to know what the maximum penalty is for the crime you committed, as that is what he will base his decision on. The punishment you received (if any) is irrelevant... what's important is the maximum you could have received. If ESTA is denied, you'll need that information.

Ian
Old May 13th 2012, 5:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: stole road sign 30 years ago...waiting for visa waiver....should I pay rest of ho

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
In a nutshell, theft is a CIMT. Whether or not the crime was discharged, you must declare it when applying for ESTA. If ESTA is denied, you'll need to apply for a B-2 visa...
Since the OP says:

Originally Posted by dan12345678
still no word from HS having gone through all the hoops and embassy interview. any thoughts ....
I assume that they have, indeed, applied for a visa. been denied and are now waiting for a waiver to be approved (or not ...) - in which case there really is nothing more that they can do except wait
Old May 13th 2012, 5:47 pm
A I
not even a fake TV lawyer

A I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud of

How much can you get back? What's the last day to back out?

Looks at the 4 possible outcomes and pick the one you can live with:

Visa is Approved AND
1) You stuck with it , Happy Outcome
2) You backed out, lost some money, need to reschedule

Visa NOT approved
3) You stuck with it , Lost some cash
4) You backed out, lost a little money, but less than you could have since you canceled early.

You will live with the consequences, thankfully none look life changing.
Old May 13th 2012, 6:59 pm
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

There is a possibility that the visa was denied while they review the criminal record to determine if a waiver is required.

If the visa was denied, was the visa denied 221(g) or 212(a)(2)?