Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Sticky situation - back taxes and AOS interview question

Wikiposts

Sticky situation - back taxes and AOS interview question

Old Jan 15th 2005, 8:36 am
Just Joined

smalone is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Sticky situation - back taxes and AOS interview question

Hi.
Brit husband and I (USC) are prepping for our upcoming AOS interview. He had grossly overstayed his visa, worked before having EAD and hadn't filed taxes until we married and filed jointly. (I know, I know, bad husband!)
I, of course, have been a model citizen in every way ;o)
Does anyone have similar cirucumstances? How risky is it to go into our interview with only the last 2 years of taxes filed for him? Or must we suck it up and file back taxes? He has worked under the table, with no paperwork, so we would file as self-employed and with the lateness penalties, there goes our house downpayment...
Just trying to weigh out some options.
Thanks. This forum is a great resource.
Old Jan 15th 2005, 8:46 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sticky situation - back taxes and AOS interview question

Tough question for people to answer on an open forum like this, probably something you should consult an immigration solicitor about?

As for the overstay, that would be forgiven at the aos interview as it's based on marriage to a USC.
Old Jan 15th 2005, 10:19 am
BE Enthusiast

mrsm is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Sticky situation - back taxes and AOS interview question

Originally Posted by smalone
Hi.
Brit husband and I (USC) are prepping for our upcoming AOS interview. He had grossly overstayed his visa, worked before having EAD and hadn't filed taxes until we married and filed jointly. (I know, I know, bad husband!)
I, of course, have been a model citizen in every way ;o)
Does anyone have similar cirucumstances? How risky is it to go into our interview with only the last 2 years of taxes filed for him? Or must we suck it up and file back taxes? He has worked under the table, with no paperwork, so we would file as self-employed and with the lateness penalties, there goes our house downpayment...
Just trying to weigh out some options.
Thanks. This forum is a great resource.
This was something I was concerned about too. However the fact that I had worked "under the table" for years and not paid taxes until we married was not mentioned at our interview. As far as I know the USCIS and IRS do not exchange information. I personally haven't read/heard of anybody having to pay back taxes or a penalty when dealing with USCIS. All the best