Wikiposts

Steps after I-130 Approval

Old Aug 23rd 2012, 10:05 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Steps after I-130 Approval

Morning all

Our I-130 is now nearly 3 months into processing (filed in US), so we're beginning to think about the next stage. Im going over for 3 weeks in october, and it's more than possible we may hear something while I'm there.

To that end, I've been trying to clear up what exactly happens next, and the order. I thought I'd write down what I have, and check with you lovely people to see if I had it right!

So:

I-130 Approved - USCIS send the notification to my wife and forwards case to NVC (this can take a few weeks)
|
NVC receive case and request payment of !-864 fee ($88) from my wife. Fee is paid and documents submitted.
|
NVC contact me and request IV payment ($230) This is made, download the barcoded receipt front page and attach it to completed DS230 (Parts I & II, part II NOT signed) along with birth cert, marriage cert, passport biometric page, photos and police cert (all photocopies except photos)
|
In the interim after receiving case number I go for my medical in Knightsbridge (bringing an original police cert and photo)
|
NVC schedule interview and inform me of such. I go to interview taking complete bundle (originals) of everything we have submitted (including evidence of continuing marriage) Interview goes swimmingly and visa granted (hopefully!) so I pay courier fee.
|
Visa arrives in passport. Im free to travel to US within 6 months of medical.

Is there anything I've missed here?

Now - bearing in mind I'm going to be there in October, is there anything stopping me completing the DS230 forms and bringing the photocopied documents with me to leave with my wife, so she can mail them after paying the fee and attaching the bar coded receipt? It strikes me that'll be quicker than me sending it from the UK. I can just not date the form, and she can add the date when sending it?

Thanks all - I know that was a wall of text!

Last edited by civilservant; Aug 23rd 2012 at 10:11 pm.
Old Aug 24th 2012, 2:17 am
BE Enthusiast

redarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Steps after I-130 Approval

hi civilservant.

you should give your wife all the originals for her to submit to nvc in USA.

YOU take copies of everything to interview just in case they need anything.
when i went they didnt.we had submitted it all.
get passport pics done in USA too and have wife submit them with the completed DS230 part 1 and unsigned part 2

if you both submitted emails addresses you will both get the emails.

we filled in all our paperwork while i was visiting in the USA,i took photo copies home with me,of everything if you dont have a spare police cert at medical they accept colour photo copies.

my wife then submitted each item as and when requested. i just sat tight and waited for my turn.LOL.
Old Aug 24th 2012, 3:42 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

You need to submit original documents to the NVC, plus a photocopy.

I would be inclined to hold off on the medical exam until the interview date is assigned. Sometimes there can be some back and forth with the NVC over documents that can delay completion of the visa application and push off the interview date. This can shorten the period of validity of the visa or, in the extreme case, require you to have another medical exam. (For example, if you submit only photocopies, not the original documents.)

Regards, JEff

Last edited by jeffreyhy; Aug 24th 2012 at 3:44 am.
Old Aug 24th 2012, 4:10 am
BE Enthusiast

redarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy

I would be inclined to hold off on the medical exam until the interview date is assigned. Sometimes there can be some back and forth with the NVC over documents that can delay completion of the visa application and push off the interview date. This can shorten the period of validity of the visa or, in the extreme case, require you to have another medical exam. (For example, if you submit only photocopies, not the original documents.)

Regards, JEff
didnt i say that
Old Aug 24th 2012, 4:31 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Only the first sentence.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by redarmy990
didnt i say that
Old Aug 24th 2012, 4:37 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
Apart from the passport biometrics, presumably.

Thanks both

Ive heard about a choice of agent form - when is that sent and to whom?
Old Aug 24th 2012, 5:21 am

Sounds like you need to read the NVC's Immigrant Visa Processing web pages at travel.state.gov

Regards, JEff
Old Aug 24th 2012, 5:34 am
Often not so civil...

If a visa is available for your petition (or if the Department of State believes that one will be available in the next several months), the NVC will send you, the beneficiary, a Choice of Agent and Address letter containing the form DS-3032 and instructions for completing the form. If you are the beneficiary of an I-130 petition, the NVC will send your petitioner an Affidavit of Support (AOS) Processing Fee Bill Invoice along with instructions for paying the AOS fee.
I take that to mean one will be sent to me, and I return it. This will happen at the same time as the request for the I-864 fee (and subsequent paperwork) goes to my wife. However it dosent make it clear if they then request the IV fees later (in a separate letter) - which is what confused me.

Last edited by civilservant; Aug 24th 2012 at 5:44 am.
Old Aug 24th 2012, 6:35 am
BE Enthusiast

me again civil, instead of posting the choice of agent form you can email it to the nvc.
but make sure you put your LND number on it correctly as it wont get processed via email

i used my us citizen wife as choice of agent.
Old Aug 24th 2012, 6:37 am
BE Enthusiast

also the iv bill will become payable once the aos fee and choice of agent form has been accepted.

all ours was via email its the quickest and best way for nvc to communicate with you
Old Aug 24th 2012, 6:37 am
Often not so civil...

So you paid the AOS fee, mailed the documents, then paid the IV fee? Were you told to do that or did you just do it?

Dont want to miss a step and be wondering why we havent heard!

Thanks red

Last edited by civilservant; Aug 24th 2012 at 6:39 am.
Old Aug 24th 2012, 6:39 am
BE Enthusiast

your more than welcome i can pm you the rough text of what you should put in your choice of agent email if you want it.
Old Aug 24th 2012, 6:40 am
Often not so civil...

PLease
Old Aug 24th 2012, 6:41 am
BE Enthusiast

the fees you have to wait until there generated online you cant just pay them.

you have to log into NVC and pay them when required
Old Aug 24th 2012, 6:51 am
BE Enthusiast

heres a quick summary of what we did.

16/04/12/LND CASE NUMBER RECEIVED
21/04/12 PAID I864 BILL AND POSTED DOCUMENTS(they say wait till bill payment clear but it takes a few days so send it asap)
and emailed 3032 to nvc

01/05/12/ IV BILL BECAME PAYABLE ON LINE PAID IT
03/05/12 RECEIVED IV INSTRUCTIONS AND SENT DS230

08/05/12/CASE COMPLETE

this is how we did it and had no problems what so ever.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.