Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Status During Green Card Application

Status During Green Card Application

Old Nov 29th 2022, 1:11 pm
Forum Regular

porkedpie has a reputation beyond reputeporkedpie has a reputation beyond reputeporkedpie has a reputation beyond reputeporkedpie has a reputation beyond reputeporkedpie has a reputation beyond reputeporkedpie has a reputation beyond reputeporkedpie has a reputation beyond reputeporkedpie has a reputation beyond reputeporkedpie has a reputation beyond reputeporkedpie has a reputation beyond reputeporkedpie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Status During Green Card Application

Hello,

I am currently on L-1A and as I'm marrying a USC soon, going to be embarking on green card process.
I'm trying to understand my status during this process especially with regard to working and traveling.

As I understand it, I can (and should) file I-130, I-485, I-765 and I-131 all at the same time.

After filing - am I still able to make short trips abroad and re-enter? I read that it could constitute abandoning my application. But I already am able to travel under my L-1A.

Then biometric and hopefully receipt of EAD/travel authorization card.

At that point with EAD in hand can I leave and re-enter the country (short trips)? Can I change job or employer?
Old Nov 29th 2022, 3:07 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Status During Green Card Application

8 CFR 245.2(a)(4)(ii)(C)
Old Nov 29th 2022, 3:21 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by porkedpie
Hello,

I am currently on L-1A and as I'm marrying a USC soon, going to be embarking on green card process.
I'm trying to understand my status during this process especially with regard to working and traveling.

As I understand it, I can (and should) file I-130, I-485, I-765 and I-131 all at the same time.

After filing - am I still able to make short trips abroad and re-enter? I read that it could constitute abandoning my application. But I already am able to travel under my L-1A.

Then biometric and hopefully receipt of EAD/travel authorization card.

At that point with EAD in hand can I leave and re-enter the country (short trips)? Can I change job or employer?
I was on an L1a. I got a GC through EB1c Not marriage, but I don’t think that should make a difference. Others may have more recent / marriage based experience.

File everything as you said… but as long as you are still working for your L1a employer use your L1a to travel / for I-94, I believe there may be requirement to be present in the US when some of the GC filling is submitted, don’t recall which. But that only grounded me for 2 or 3 days, not the whole time it’s pending.

If you were to loose your job or wish to change roles / employers your L1a would become invalid , and then you could use the EAD/AP once in hand. Note it’s the AP for travel not EAD, although I think these have been combined in to one card now since I went through the process.
Old Nov 29th 2022, 3:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

neill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond repute

You can travel and re-enter on your L-1 visa, and maintain your L-1 status while waiting for your green card (I-485 submitted/pending).
If you travel and re-enter the country using I-131/765 you then switch to that status - "Paroled" - until you get your green card. This means you are no longer on your L1 at that point. It also means that you can take up additional or alternate employment at that point.
Old Nov 29th 2022, 9:32 pm
Forum Regular

porkedpie has a reputation beyond reputeporkedpie has a reputation beyond reputeporkedpie has a reputation beyond reputeporkedpie has a reputation beyond reputeporkedpie has a reputation beyond reputeporkedpie has a reputation beyond reputeporkedpie has a reputation beyond reputeporkedpie has a reputation beyond reputeporkedpie has a reputation beyond reputeporkedpie has a reputation beyond reputeporkedpie has a reputation beyond repute

Great, thanks for the info.
This is great, and means I'm only tied to my employer/job until I get my EAD, rather than until I get my GC. That should be many months faster than the actual GC.
(Aside, yes tht I believe you can get a combo card with both EAD and travel authorization in one).
Old Nov 29th 2022, 10:00 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by porkedpie
Great, thanks for the info.
This is great, and means I'm only tied to my employer/job until I get my EAD, rather than until I get my GC. That should be many months faster than the actual GC.
(Aside, yes tht I believe you can get a combo card with both EAD and travel authorization in one).
Yes, it is one card with both privileges.

I would suggest future posts regarding your wife and your filing of the I-130 and I-485 along with the other applications that need to be submitted should be asked in the US Marriage-Based Forum.
Old Nov 30th 2022, 3:20 am
BE Enthusiast

karenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tht
I was on an L1a. I got a GC through EB1c Not marriage, but I don’t think that should make a difference. Others may have more recent / marriage based experience.

File everything as you said… but as long as you are still working for your L1a employer use your L1a to travel / for I-94, I believe there may be requirement to be present in the US when some of the GC filling is submitted, don’t recall which. But that only grounded me for 2 or 3 days, not the whole time it’s pending.

If you were to loose your job or wish to change roles / employers your L1a would become invalid , and then you could use the EAD/AP once in hand. Note it’s the AP for travel not EAD, although I think these have been combined in to one card now since I went through the process.
yes that's correct. Weirdly, I received my EAD/AP a couple of week AFTER my green card!